News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Hwy 25 questions

Started by Guidedawg, April 29, 2016, 04:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

If I knew particular times I would try to arrange for a last minute meet-up; however, this is just a last minute possibility and will be winging it.

I've never ridden "The Tail of the Lizard" but I understand there is one or two switchbacks but still nothing too white knuckle for a semi-novice as myself. (I will at least wear a full face helmet)

So I'm thinking I may get an early start tomorrow and take 231 up to Vincent and then ride that section of 25 to Leeds and back.  The first question is - Is there anything particular I should know?  I'm hoping there isn't a lot of motorcycle traffic (if I go to slow for a sports bike crowd) before 9 on a Saturday morning.

My next question is - how is 25 from Vincent through Columbiana and back to I-65 in Calera?

I need to be back in Montgomery by 1:00 so I may take 25 out to the Interstate for my return.

mojo1

Shouldn't be much traffic at that time. The tightest switchback is the one going up the mountain before you get to Pis Rock. From Vandiver to Calera is basically a 2 lane road straight shot, no real curves.
GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Chitza

The particulars are that you must get a photo with your bike at Piss Rock. I think it's a federal law. 8)

And don't look at the oncoming lane going North or the guardrail going South through the switchback. Ask me how I know  ???
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

scrappyjon

25 to 65 is a pleasant ride. Not curvy or anything just a nice scenic country road. I recommend you start in Leeds and ride the whole thing all the way to 65. When it dead ends in Vincent just turn right and you'll go across 280.

scrappyjon

There's also a decent bbq place before you get to 280. The reason why I suggest starting in Leeds is because you'll be climbing in the fun turns. I think it's more fun going up than going down. They also recently repaved it and it's really nice.

Guidedawg

Thanks y'all.  Riding from Leeds to Vincent (I corrected the original post where I was saying Vandiver when I meant Vincent) was more fun, but that's probably because I had at least seen in once by that point, so when I turned around to return to Vincent I had a better idea of what to expect.

I think I would have made better time home returning the way I came, but it's nice to do a loop.  25 to Calera was a nice road and I appreciate the members of the Leathernecks MC who spotted me checking my phone near the Interstate exit and warning me 65S was backed up due to an accident in Jemison. 

So it was 31S to Clanton and then back home.