News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Riding with a Gun.

Started by LawnmowerRG, June 20, 2016, 10:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrobinson

One night coming in from the racetrack, State had a check point on Hwy 65. I came around the corner and had to get on the brakes pretty hard. Trooper asked if I was going a little fast. I said "No Sir, 55mph". He then asked for license, I handed him my DL out of my billfold. He noticed my permit and ask what kind of weapon did I have? I usually don't have one and didn't that night. I told him I didn't have one. He said, "Why do you have a permit?" I said, "Just thought it would be a good idea". He repeated his question. Answer still "No". He said, "Just in case?"and chuckles, again I answer "Yes".

Another trooper is checking my truck and informs the 1st my tag lights and I have a firefighter tag. The trooper at my door relays the info to me and says he doesn't check his tag lights either. Then sends me on my way.

Brian A

From the experiences related here, and other discussions elsewhere, an individual really can't have a reasonable idea  regarding exactly what to expect in the event of a stop by LEO. Whether one be in a vehicle or on a motorcycle.

Experiences are all over the map, which is, sadly, a bit of a detriment to the legal CC person.

I have several friends in the law enforcement community. They are good guys and I count them as good friends. That said, I have read and been told a number of times that LEO are trained (expected?) to "fish" for information that, when freely provided via answering probing/open ended questions, provides a legitimate opening for the officer to dig further (reasonable suspicion).

So guys like me, with friends in the community (and a deceased grandfather who served for many years - with pride -as a State Trooper) are forced to accept that we don't know the temperament, disposition, goal, etc. of a LEO who might pull me/us over.

I have read a fair amount on Alabama Duty to Inform. It is my understanding there is no legal obligation to inform without being asked, and arguably no duty to inform even if asked by LEO. You are simply required to have a CC permit if you are carrying concealed.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/alabama.pdf

And of course laws different greatly in other states. So I guess the best approach is try to be educated on laws for any/all states one might choose to legally carry concealed and then practice a polite, respectful, business-like approach if/when pulled over. Don't answer probing questions. Just deal with the bare bones necessities and move along.

A friend in law enforcement, not one that anybody here would know, once told me (paraphrasing) "You are pretty much at the mercy of the guy who pulls you over. Some are great guys who don't wish to cause you trouble. They are just doing their job. And then there are some who are complete jerks and can potentially make for a bad experience. It's a roll of the dice."

Id judge that to be both accurate and less than comforting.

Chitza

I am a member of a LEO support group on FB. The general consensus there is keep your hands on the wheel(or handlebars), inform the officer you have a loaded gun and a permit. Ask him how he wishes to proceed. If the gun is not loaded, your choice to inform.

Note: I have never had personal experience with this situation.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

kdtrull

I think TN has about 3x more Troopers than AL.  They do what they're supposed to do in the most unlikely of places.  They are always present where you least expect them.  Last year (I think?), I was on my way to Tellico Plains to chill a couple days before meeting Winn in Suches, on a (very out-of-the-way) TN county road when I got "lit-up" by a Trooper while going significantly over the limit in a 45 m.p.h zone with seductively tempting curves.  Not one to push my limits too much....there was NOT another vehicle to be found for miles.....I was truly in the middle of nowhere on a nicely paved road on the mighty XT250 and enjoying every second of it.  60 m.p.h. is not that significantly different than the conservative 45 m.p.h limit on many TN county roads.  I had plenty of time to see him, slow down and pull in right beside him he never had to move....effectively surrendering to whatever he had in mind for a "fugitive from the law".

I stopped, pulled my helmet and gadgets off, and waited for his approach.

He was a cool-headed, older guy....maybe even my age...who approached and asked if I knew what I was doing wrong.  I said "Yes".  He said, "I'm too far out to run your plates over computer....are you wanted for any crimes?"  "I'm pushing the limits of my kitchen-pass and speeding but that is about it", I responded...."no crimes".  He said, "Dispatch has not responed".  "Do you need to tell me anything?".  I said, "There is a small .380 in my tank bag"  He went back to his car for a spell and finally came back only to say "slow it down a notch"....never asked for a permit and never asked for a search.  "You can go with a warning" is the last thing I remember....I think I have a yellow paper as a reminder.  It was a very pleasant exchange for which I am most grateful.  I'd like to see the country more fortified with these most reasonable people.

Hats off to TN training tempered with basic human compassion.  WTG TN Troopers!
I know they see crazy sh1t, from time-to-time...but I'm encouraged to know that they can still make rational assessments on-the-fly.

I was back on my way in 15 minutes.  The only thing that stung me a little is that my helmet cam mount is technically illegal in TN....The mount and camera must not extend 1 1/4" from the helmet.
I took it off, immediately, and we were both pleased to depart ways. 

I just found it interesting that he was so little concerned by the loaded firearm.

Brian A

I think the majority of seasoned LEO are a pretty good quick judge of character and threat assessment.

I'd wager he knew very quickly you didn't pose any threat. You told him you had the gun and told him where it was. At that point, HE had the advantage if you intended ill will. Not much chance you could quickly open your tank bag and grab a handgun before he could draw his from his holster. (and HAD you intended ill will, you'd have not told him what you had and where it was. He knew that.)

He sounds like one of the cool, level headed guys in law enforcement. I think they deserve a huge pat on the back and a call or note to their superiors to pass along a word of Thanks for being courteous and professional and deserving of the respect all LEO would like to receive from the public.

KevinB

I generally figure of you tell me about the firearm (and you look fairly unassuming) , you don't intend me harm...I still maintain a level of unconscious caution that I do on any stop however.
I stop people that hand me a permit and say "I have a gun in the console". My usual responses are either,  "You're driving through Birmingham...I'd be concerned of you DIDN'T have one..." or "Just don't show me yours, and I won't show you mine. "
Generally, the level of response you see is commensurate with the level of training and experience. I'm comfortable with my gunfighting skills and ability to react to a threat...the guys that freak out when you mention you're armed know that they lack the training and experience to handle the situation should it go sideways.

klaviator

Quote from: kdtrull on October 12, 2017, 11:05:36 AM

..................  I said, "There is a small .380 in my tank bag"

A small .380?   I see a scene from Crocodile Dundee......."That's not a GUN."  as he laughs and pulls out a real gun :lol-049: :lol-049:

Hey, I carry the same thing.

klaviator

Another question.  You are out riding someplace like the BRP or a national park and stop at a visitors center.  You want to go in but guns are illegal in all federal buildings including visitors centers.  What do you do with the gun?  I have lockable storage on all my bikes but what if you don't? 

On the same note, many places have no guns allowed signs.  The laws really vary as to what this means.  In Alabama you can often just ignore those signs but not always.  I did some research before riding to the Vintage fest last weekend.  It has a no guns policy.  So I did some research.  Alabama law does not allow guns at sporting events.  I assume racing is a sporting event.  But what if you are just going to the museum?

BTW I left my gun at home for vintage fest.

IceCold4x4

Quote from: klaviator on October 12, 2017, 12:41:06 PM
Another question.  You are out riding someplace like the BRP or a national park and stop at a visitors center.  You want to go in but guns are illegal in all federal buildings including visitors centers.  What do you do with the gun?  I have lockable storage on all my bikes but what if you don't? 

On the same note, many places have no guns allowed signs.  The laws really vary as to what this means.  In Alabama you can often just ignore those signs but not always.  I did some research before riding to the Vintage fest last weekend.  It has a no guns policy.  So I did some research.  Alabama law does not allow guns at sporting events.  I assume racing is a sporting event.  But what if you are just going to the museum?

Technically you can carry until. Asked to. Leave at which point if you don't you can be arrested for trespassing. The sporting event clause is odd to me, pretty sure that just applies to the inside of A stadium / coliseum. I'm. Sure there are tons br people. Carrying at talladega this weekend. Kevinb would likely. Be the best to answer it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Slede

first, Dred, the reason you make 3 patrolmen nervous is because you look like it will take 6 of them to start bringing your bigass down.

that's the same reason I keep my hands in plain sight and don't move until told to move when I'm stopped. I know what I look like and if you don't know me I probably look like more of a handful that you want to hold onto late at night or early in the morning. if holding my piece while we talk keeps a cop from wanting to ventilate me I'm good with it as long as I get it back in the same condition as it was taken, unloaded is ok but not broken or missing parts.
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

gulfcoaster

Quote from: klaviator on October 12, 2017, 12:41:06 PM

Technically you can no longer carry at a rest stop in Alabama either. But I've always said "Concealed means concealed." No one knows but me that there's a gun on my hip then no problem. Gun is much safer on my hip than in a saddlebag. Plus drawing it from my holster in the parking lot to put it in a bag might freak some folks out.

Also, the CCW app is a great resource for reciprocity info and other useful tidbits. Free in the Google Play Store.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

klaviator

"Technically you can no longer carry at a rest stop in Alabama either."

Actually, our last governor removed that restriction.  It has been legal for at least a couple of years now.

renchinrider

This has been a really useful thread!  Thanks for helping me earn my baccalaureate degree in gun carryology! :respect-048:
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

gulfcoaster

Quote from: renchinrider on October 15, 2017, 09:58:15 PM
This has been a really useful thread!  Thanks for helping me earn my baccalaureate degree in gun carryology! :respect-048:
Haha. And we didn't even get into type of handguns, caliber choice, and holster styles...I don't think this forum needs to dive into that rabbit hole.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dredman

Quote from: gulfcoaster on October 16, 2017, 03:08:11 PM
..I don't think this forum needs to dive into that rabbit hole.
rabbit holes are awesome?  :others-154: