News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

This Bama Bum is Arctic Bound

Started by Chitza, July 01, 2016, 10:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chitza

Yes. If you're following both SPOTs you will notice I wimped out at 11:00pm, 40 miles from camp. I was at my limit. For safety I got a hotel room. Waiting for a bad storm to pass and then I will meet the group at...Lightning Lake. Today, appropriately named.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Chitza

The blue dot is where I am. The group is 40 miles NW. Imma sit tight a minute 8)

I have a longer fuel range and can catch up with fewer stops if necessary.

Nice Goat

Just checked Trip Advisor .... Viking Cafe in Fergus Falls has good reviews for breakfast....

You are only about 220 miles from Canada!   ;)
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

TFancher

The absolute worst storm I've ever camped in.  I know now why they named it Lightning Lake. Monsoon Bay would've been appropriate also.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

klaviator

Quote from: Chitza on July 11, 2016, 06:15:36 AM
Yes. If you're following both SPOTs you will notice I wimped out at 11:00pm, 40 miles from camp. I was at my limit. For safety I got a hotel room. Waiting for a bad storm to pass and then I will meet the group at...Lightning Lake. Today, appropriately named.

One of my favorite lines is by Dirty harry when he said: "A man's got to know his limitations."  That applies to women to.  You did the smart thing.  It sounds like a really long day's ride if Ya'll went that late.

KrisCook

You guys are driving yourselves like escaped prisoners!  There is no way I could ever keep up on a trip this intense.  My helmet's off to you all. 

Don't forget to smell the roses... or the moose poop, whichever is apropos. 

Nothing like having everything you own completely soaked.  For days. 

Carry on.  I'm watching your spots like a tv show, trying to imagine the country as you zoom by it. 
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

Brian A

Quote from: KrisCook on July 11, 2016, 02:11:21 PM
Carry on.  I'm watching your spots like a tv show, trying to imagine the country as you zoom by it.

Same here Kris. SPOT seems to be generally accurate to withing about 10-15 feet in my experience, so you/I/we can switch to satellite view and zoom in and pretty much see which spot that parked their bikes in when they broke for lunch, which camp site they pitched their tents at, etc.

Brian A

Also cool (if you are a goober like me) tying in their "stops and gos" with the weather.

Right now they are stopped about where the red dot is. (just checked again and it seems they are actually stopped a little west of the red dot. About where the "V" in Valley is)
Smart time to take a break I'd say.

TFancher

Not a lot of time to update you guys so far. We are stopped for dinner in lloydminster, Alberta.  We have ridden in the rain for the last 3 days. I guess that's why it's called an adventure!
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Chitza

Hey, I know I've ridden hard and put myself up wet for a couple days...but a little girl in the bathroom just asked her mom, "Is that a lady?"  Hmmm. Guess I should brush my hair :D

Chitza

We are in for the night. Sweet dreams BamaRides from Holden, Alberta, Canada :)*

kdtrull

Quote from: Chitza on July 12, 2016, 08:21:19 PM
Hey, I know I've ridden hard and put myself up wet for a couple days...but a little girl in the bathroom just asked her mom, "Is that a lady?"  Hmmm. Guess I should brush my hair :D

LMBO...the brutal honesty of a child.   :D
Hang in there.

Brian A

So they spent the night camping in Holden, Alberta.  Population 381 in an area of .66 sq miles.

Trivia: (from Wikipedia)  Birthplace of Dale Armstrong - successful NHRA and IHRA drag racer in the 70's. In the 60's Armstrong campaigned a Chevy II converted to a funny car. His car was named "The Canuck".
He later became crew chief for Kenny Bernstein. Bernstein was the very first to break the 300 mph mark in an engine tuned by Armstrong.
Armstrong was the first crew chief to test funny cars in a wind tunnel.

LawnmowerRG

Good to see you guys making it. We had Hurricane force winds on Friday night at Grandfather mountain. It did break some stuff.
Trying to catch up work from 4 days off in summer sucks.
Yall have fun ya hear.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Chitza

Looks like camp with showers and laundromat tonight! And before dark!! We'll be at Dawson Creek