News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Summer '17, Nova Scotia

Started by Al Goodwin, August 14, 2016, 10:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Goodwin

Quote from: TFancher on February 07, 2017, 11:51:26 PM
FWIW..... I am off for summer shutdown June 24- July 9. I don't know yet if I can make this trip happen but my interest is high.

Well, if we all can't get together on a specific date....maybe we could break up into 2 groups.  The larger the group the slower it moves, 4 bikes in a group, at the most< can make better time than a group larger than that......

We ALL need to get together some time and discuss this.  Maybe we could discuss it here......http://bamarides.com/ride/index.php?topic=1556.0

Al Goodwin

renchinrider

We ALL need to get together some time and discuss this.  Maybe we could discuss it here......http://bamarides.com/ride/index.php?topic=1556.0
[/quote]

Al, I and my wife will be at Saturday's festivities.  Look forward to meeting (all of) you and talking about the Nova Scotia trip!
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

Al Goodwin

Quote from: renchinrider on February 14, 2017, 08:10:23 PM

Al, I and my wife will be at Saturday's festivities.  Look forward to meeting (all of) you and talking about the Nova Scotia trip!
[/quote]

YEP....We'll be there.

bergman32

Just checked price for Ferry out of Portland Maine and price for my bike and trailer is $140 and price for two Senior discount tickets for Karen and Me is $204. Total one way $344. Might be a little cheaper each way if you get round trip tickets.

Al Goodwin

OK.....Well, I hate to say it, but Melony and I are OUT on this ride, at least for this summer. :-\

Her surgery in December went well, but the healing and physical therapy process isn't moving along as quickly as we'd hoped.  Therefore, we'll just be taking several short ride/trips this summer instead of the long ride up to NS that we were looking so forward to.

If any of y'all still go, I wish you all the best of luck, and may you have GREAT weather, and drivers without their cell-phones in their hands. :o  She and I are still planning on making this ride, some day.

Take lots of pictures......

chickenlegs

The wife and I rode this last summer.  We took a couple weeks around the 4th of July.

We rode up to Montreal, met a couple of Canadians, and rode over to Quebec, taking in the downtown section.  From there it was farther east hugging the St. Lawrence Bay on to Gaspe' to take in the city of Perce', which offers up some exciting view of large rock formations/islands.  Whale watching and lobster where in season.  With the exchange rate lobster was very affordable.  We stayed at a nice cabin located just over the large rock formation with the tunnel thru it.  They don't have a website so reservations are made with a phone.  We lucked into a vacancy for one of the best spots you could have, and it was affordable.  Located at 1-69 Rue du Mont-Joli Perce' QC.  From there our Canadian friends headed back home, so the wife and I continued heading east across New Brunswick, on thru torrential rain and lucked into a five star hotel with a bike rate.  The hotel was a stop for a motocycle rental company out of the New England states.  They were kind enough to offer us the same group rate.  The cost was very affordable for the accommodations.  We even hit up room service.  Truely a change from using the camping gear, even though for this trip it never made it off the bike.   We continued on east and up into Prince Edward Island.  After a brief view around the place, we ferried across to New Glasgow, Nova Scotia and continued on east and north to Cape Breton Highlands National Park to ride the Cabot Trail.  We rode the trail counterclockwise which put us on the west side of the trail that evening giving us the sun setting before us.  Plenty of nice places to pull off and take in the scenery.  There are plenty of places to stay, most of which are waterfront.  Also there weren't many hotel chains.  Its mostly mom and pop type of establishments.  Anyway that's the cliff notes version.   Should anyone have any questions or such, feel free.

-Chickenlegs

renchinrider

Al, sorry to hear y'all won't be able to make the trip. :(  But it's definitely better to heal up and get ready to fight another day!

We'll get with Bergman and see whether they still want to try and make the trip, and we'll take it from there.  It's definitely going to be a ride for the storybooks, whether this year or another one!

Best to Melony, and see y'all next ride!
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

Al Goodwin

Quote from: renchinrider on April 05, 2017, 10:21:52 PM
Al, sorry to hear y'all won't be able to make the trip. :(  But it's definitely better to heal up and get ready to fight another day!

We'll get with Bergman and see whether they still want to try and make the trip, and we'll take it from there.  It's definitely going to be a ride for the storybooks, whether this year or another one!

Best to Melony, and see y'all next ride!

Thank You.....if y'all go, I hope only the best..take lots of pictures...

We'll make the ride another time for sure, maybe wait until we can have enough time to go up into Newfoundland and Labrador.... ;)

helium3

I was just telling my wife I want to do this trip. With a stop in Maryland for soft shell crab and Maine for lobster.