What are your riding plans and goals for 2017?

Started by klaviator, January 23, 2017, 08:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

Lets get some discussion going here.  What are your plans and goals for 2017.  Are you planning any long trips?  Do you expect to ride more miles?  How about weekend trips?  Maybe a new bike in your future?  Track days, riding classes, new gear?  If it's motorcycle/scooter related it's fair game for discussion in this thread.

klaviator

I'll start off the discussion.

Last year I rode around 13,500 miles.  In 2015 it was over 20,000.  This year I expect to be somewhere between the last 2 years.  Maybe around 15-18K. 

No definite long trips planned yet.  I'd like to go back out west to Utah, Arizona and Colorado but that would require burning 2 of my three weeks vacation at one time.  More likely I'll do some rides to the Smoky Mountain area or maybe into VA and WV.  I will for sure do some weekend trips to N. GA, Deals Gap, Blue Ridge Cycle Camp. 

One thing that has been on my bucket list for a few years now is to do a tour on a small scooter.  Maybe ride the length of the BRP.  One issue I have had with doing this is the tiny gas tank on my Kymco.  I'd have to carry extra fuel or maybe I just need to get a new scooter. 

Replacing my Super 8 is something I am really thinking about.  The top candidate is the Yamaha Smax. 

I hope to lead more local rides and get a little more activity on Bamarides.  I'd love to participate in Gymkhanna if we can get that going again.  I will try to make as many rides and events posted by other members as I can.  I'll  also try to post up a few flash mobs.

I also want to work on my photography.  I need to get and learn to use a photo processing program. 

I'm still working on my 50+ year ride report.  Hopefully I'll have that up to the present by the end of this winter.  I was expecting to have a lot of cold weather so I would be working on it instead of being out riding.  So far this winter I've been riding much more than expected.

I hope to do more dual sport riding.  I really need to do some work on my KLR but I've been procrastinating on that.

I'm thinking about getting an air compressor and air impact wrench.  It seems like many bikes come from the factory with over torqued bolts and I have some maintenance coming up where this may be an issue.

Nice Goat

Sadly, I only rode 10,500 miles last year, and 2,400 of those miles were on the Key West trip.  Hoping to do more this year also.

Hoping to lead at least three RFP street rides this year.

I also want to attempt a Bun Burner Gold, i.e., 1,500 miles in 24 hours.  That's about the distance from Flagstaff, AZ, to Falkville, AL.  My plan is to ride to Flagstaff, spend two nights there relaxing by the pool and eating healthy food, and then ride back to Falkville in 24 hours.  Hoping to do that before it gets too hot, maybe in May.

I also want to do a few dual-sport camping trips this year, including one each for the Dirt Devil, Tellico, and north Georgia.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

norton73

Quote from: Nice Goat on January 23, 2017, 11:26:33 AM
Sadly, I only rode 10,500 miles last year, and 2,400 of those miles were on the Key West trip.  Hoping to do more this year also.

Hoping to lead at least three RFP street rides this year.

I also want to attempt a Bun Burner Gold, i.e., 1,500 miles in 24 hours.  That's about the distance from Flagstaff, AZ, to Falkville, AL.  My plan is to ride to Flagstaff, spend two nights there relaxing by the pool and eating healthy food, and then ride back to Falkville in 24 hours.  Hoping to do that before it gets too hot, maybe in May.

I also want to do a few dual-sport camping trips this year, including one each for the Dirt Devil, Tellico, and north Georgia.

Mine is to make one of your "ride for pie" rides ;-)
Loose nut holding the handlebars

LRobinson

I have a couple of things in mind for this year.  I will be meeting a friend in Nashville and riding to Sturgis  (insert your own Rally/Harley jokes here).  I have a 16 day trip planned that includes two nights in Deadwood close to the Rally, but like my trip to Maine last year this trip is for the ride out and back along with some of the sites nearby.    No interstate with lots of back roads and 2 lane US Highways.   Only hotel reservations are in Deadwood so most of it will be seat of the pants as far as how many miles and exact locations each day.  I expect the trip to end up at 5000 - 6000 miles 

The second thing is to spend a lot more time in the dirt.   Five years ago I had never really ridden in the dirt at all.   Now I have the XR650L for fire roads and long dual sport rides, the XR400 for dual sport and some real off road work, and the 300 XC-W 2 stroke for the woods.   I just took a new position with my company that doesn't require nearly as much travel and will very rarely include weekend work.  So I have the time, and the weapons to choose from - no excuses.  I plan to get a LOT more dirt time this year. 

norton73

Seriously, the only planned event is the International Norton Owners rally in Buena Vista Va in July. But I will trailer both Norton's up there for the week of riding, camping, and drinking.

I am hoping to get some more dual sport riding in, and would like to do some dual sport touring, possibly the Smokey Mountain 500 etc. I'm hoping within the next few years to find the time to do the TAT (Trans America Trail) and some of the Backcountry Discovery Routes, so would want to get some riding practice in before hand.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Hammerdown77

Trip out West would definitely be something I'd like to do. Little overwhelmed with how to plan such a thing though (I'm terrible at planning).

I'd also like to run the whole BRP.

And I'd like to get into moto-camping this year.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Chuck A.

First plan is to get more time off work for riding. Yeh I wish. I want to make more two lane road trip to places that are not a big destination. Over night, cheap hotel trips just to see the country side, hill side, what ever side. Want to do the BRP completely. Do the Hwy 28 end to end. GONNA put together a Gymkhana (which I need to call again tomorrow),,,,, and ride someones scooter though the course. (HINT HINT) Make a Vintage Days at Barbers, ride with a old friend I just saw for the first time in 2 years last week, take my wife on an over night bike trip (hurt myself laughing at that one), take more pictures and do a ride report.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

KrisCook

Woe is me alert!!! 

My plan is, I have no plan.  Taking care of Dad and not riding at all until further notice.

Well, riding to work on the occasional Friday because we get to wear jeans to work. 

When my time taking care of Dad is through, I'll have to learn to ride all over again.  But I loved learning the last time, so I bet I'm going to love learning again! 

[/woe is me]
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

IceCold4x4

My goals this year are to get the ZRX running right again after the bigger pistons, run a 10 second 1/4 mile pass and do a track day. Also do a overnight trip on the bike.

Slede

no real plans other than to just ride because I love it again. without a place to go or somewhere to be. just roam a little, maybe flip a few coins here and there.
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

Al Goodwin

Several hare-scrambles. .......... Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge...again. ............ HOPEFULLY(I'm on a waiting list :-[), I can get an entry into the Tennessee Knockout(TKO). .............. March Moto Madness.............  Several Vintage Trials events...................   MAYBE a ride to Nova Scotia in July(I've got 20 days off work scheduled 8))......................  Dual-Sporting the Free State................  Several rides over in the N.Georgia/Western N.C./East Tenn. area.....................  Looking at a Dual-Sport ride up into Kentucky.

Hmm....probably a few more events scattered around in there.

Guidedawg

No plans.  There are too many family activities and schoolwork with youngest daughter to count on any long weekend rides.  I still want to take a few days for a Natchez Trace ride and would one day like to head up to some of the N GA, TN, Carolina roads I see y'all posting about, but not sure if it will be this year.

I did at least take a photo of my odometer the first week of Jan. to give me an idea of what I ride this year. (Believe me, it won't compare favorably :) )

VWCarlos

No definite plans yet... But! I do plan to go on a few over night trips this year when time and $$$ permits. I would really like to go ride up in the mountains of north GA and GSMNP.  I am sure I will take plenty of weekend rides to where ever the road leads. I am waiting to see what group rides pop up. I know the local FaithRiderz that Guidedawg and I both ride with sometimes is about to plan their group rides for the year.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

polarissalesman

2017.... well 2016 saw me ride around 15k miles the year b4 17k..... hopefully I'll keep it somewhere close to those numbers. Wife and I are headed to Tellico Plains for 5 nights 6 days of fun rides, LuAnn can't wait to ride the dragon and other roads on her Spyder.....As for hosting rides, this may be a the year I don't host but 1 ride & that will be in the fall. The loveless cafe ride the last 3 yrs had got to the point of being to big and taxing, so I may not do it this year. I use to get off 1 Saturday a month so I could plan to make other peoples ride, but since we now close on Monday no Saturdays OFF  :(  ... Also I plan to visit this site  more than in the past ...
"keep the rubber side down"