News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

RIP Robert Pirsig

Started by JBMFT, April 25, 2017, 05:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBMFT

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/04/24/525443040/-zen-and-the-art-of-motorcycle-maintenance-author-robert-m-pirsig-dies-at-88

I've read Zen several times and coincidentally started "Zen and Now: On the Trail of Robert Pirsig and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" last week.

Nice Goat

Zen was a fascinating book for me.  A father & son trip from Minnesota to California.  Almost 2,000 miles, two-up on a Honda CB360.

The book is more about philosophy and good living, I think, than it is about motorcycles --- but it's a very good read.

Goodbye, Robert, and thank you for the classic story.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Guidedawg

I'll have to confess that I did not finish the book.  Of course, I was reading it online during breaks at work, but got far too bogged down in the third person references to his former life though I did get through quite a bit before losing interest.

Still, it is a work that I have heard referenced most of my life.

VWCarlos

I read it several several moons ago when a buddy gave me a copy before I left out on a cross country journey in my 66 VW bus. I was in my early 20's then... I have not read it since although I found it while packing up for the big move coming up. I think I will read it again to see what I get out of it now that I am in my 40's.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

kylepeterson

i was told i was supposed to like it. i tried to like it. i failed to like it. 

but i can appreciate his struggles.