Thanks to whoever stole my first bike, I mean it, thank you "Whoever"

Started by Doolittle, September 04, 2017, 08:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doolittle

"Whoever" probably saved my life by stealing my first bike and setting my riding back by 20 years. I was doing really dumb things at stupid speeds in traffic about 20 years ago. I still like to go fast, but one experience with an orthopedic surgery will make you think twice about the consequences of failure. Today, I like finding twisty, remote roads and enjoying them. I'm not trying to beat anyone or timing it, and I do contemplate what will go wrong if I wreck in an area with no witnesses and no cell phone service. The options seem to be riding into a rock wall or going off the side of a mountain. I would prefer to not wreck. I love riding motorcycles. I love riding in Jackson County. Weird intro that's fine,

Included in my intro is a short trip report, I think I rode like 620 miles over Sunday and Monday. hwy72 to I24 to I75 sucked. The dude in the white Subaru riding 10 feet of my bumper @ 90 MPH blows goats. Took 64/74 to Tellico and then rode the Cherohala to the shortcut through Joyce Kilmer then 129 to the Dragon to 411 then 360 to Tellico Plains took 39 to 315 to whatever Reliance and realized I would not make it home by dark. Time to check the map. Time to go to bed: to be continued. Ya'll are good people.

Chitza

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

jrobinson

Welcome from Jackson County.

Holler next time you're inclined to ride this area.

springer

Welcome to Bamarides.  :)

Ever think of doing a trackday? No cars or trucks...just motorcycles. Much moore better than riding on the street.  ;) Good coaching, fast safe speeds, no cops, and no intersections. 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

LawnmowerRG

Welcome
and don't listen to Springer. ??
He don't know what he is taking about.
The track is dangerous.  ???
Or at least that is what the guys riding 120mph standup wheelies Dow I-459 in a t shirt, jeans, and sneakers have told me.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

dredman

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on September 05, 2017, 07:48:19 AM

Or at least that is what the guys riding 120mph standup wheelies Dow I-459 in a t shirt, jeans, and sneakers have told me.

You TALK to those guys?
But really, don't listen to springer, and welcome new guy - but bike thieves still suck

springer

Quote from: dredman on September 05, 2017, 09:27:58 AM
Quote from: LawnmowerRG on September 05, 2017, 07:48:19 AM

You TALK to those guys?
But really, don't listen to springer, and welcome new guy - but bike thieves still suck
Yea don't listen to me...listen to the guy who lives in a broke down school bus in the back of some ladies yard /\.  ;)

I can put you in touch with some folks who would be more than happy to help you through on your first trackday...that is if you want to do one. Depending on your size I might even have a 1 piece leather suit you can use. I have lost a lot of weight since I last used it and it no longer fits me. It is a size 48. PM me if you want to try it on.
Time is limited on this offer though. I plan on selling it at Vintage Days and plan on letting the site keep anything over $200.00 that they get for the suit. (Got to buy one that fits me.  ;D The plan is doing more trackdays next year. )
Of course you can use it for free if you decide on doing a trackday before then.  ;)
We are having a full on Gymkhana on Sept 23. If you can, make plans to attended it. A good way to meat some folks in the flesh.  ;D
Read some about it here;
http://bamarides.com/ride/index.php?topic=2149.msg18051#msg18051

To find more about Gymkhana go here;
http://bamarides.com/ride/index.php?board=27.0
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Doolittle

Continued:
So there I was at lake Ocoee, I headed West for a bit in a long line of cars. Then I thought about it for a second and I decided I don't want to go where all these cars are going and pulled off the road. It was time to consult my maps. First I find where I'm at. Then I look at my options, follow all these cars and ride through Chattanooga and find somewhere to camp, keep going and ride 72 home in the dark, or find a place to camp East or South of here. The next highway East was TN 68, I've ridden it up to Tellico Plains before from TWoS. That seemed like a pretty easy answer as to where to go and I could be there before dark. Off I went, the last time I rode GA 60 to TN 68 I was riding North in the rain, I found out it's a fun road heading South when it's dry. I got to TWos with enough light left to set up camp, while I was setting up I noticed my kickstand was sinking in the dirt, easy fix I parked it on the concrete over night. Slept awful my, Big Agnes pad had a leak.
  The next morning I woke up and thought COFFEE, off to the store across the street. I was walking back to TWoS and thought to peek in and check out the biscuit action (It ain't happening that early). And out walks klaviator. I read a lot here and on ADVrider so I recognized him. I was like hey I know you you're from the internet. Cool guy, we talked about bikes a bit. We both ride the same Kawasaki bikes.

To be continued: It's not that exciting, I did catch my bike falling over and had a nice ride home.

Continued: I found out that an Air Hawk seat pad equals a wet butt if you leave your bike uncovered when there is a heavy dew. I wanted to avoid having my kickstand sink in the dirt like the last night, so I found a spot where it stood up pretty straight. Started adding weight and then I pulled on the last strap and my bike started moving. I caught it while it was coming over on me and stood it back up. I looked around, no one saw that, what a relief. I headed for the house, I went South 'till I hit 136 and rode home. This was the ride to hit the unlimited break in mileage on my Versys 650. Now that I can use all 10,000 rpm's I'm liking my new bike. I rode it to McMinnville, TN today. It took me 4 hours to get there and 2 hours to get home, back roads and all. 56 from Altamont to McMinnville is a fun road.

Doolittle

Quote from: springer on September 04, 2017, 09:34:51 PM
Welcome to Bamarides.  :)

Ever think of doing a trackday? No cars or trucks...just motorcycles. Much moore better than riding on the street.  ;) Good coaching, fast safe speeds, no cops, and no intersections.

I've never seriously considered riding on a racetrack. I don't think my KLR will be appropriate and I'm still bonding with my Versys 650. Thanks for the offer.

LawnmowerRG

Great story and Kelvinator is the cream of the crop. Honestly Springer is too. I hope we can live up to the standard.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

klaviator

It was nice meeting you at TWoS.  Hope to see you on a ride around here soon.