News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Lane splitting video.

Started by klaviator, September 20, 2017, 01:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I doubt I would do much high speed lane splitting but would certainly filter to the front when traffic was stopped or nearly stopped. 

klaviator

Quote from: KevinB on September 21, 2017, 04:34:23 PM
Quote from: Hammerdown77 on September 21, 2017, 01:19:21 PM
Here in the U.S., for some reason, we think "yeah, but I don't trust <insert state> drivers" is the main reason why it shouldn't be done.

Only one way to find out...

One way to find out is to work crashes every day on the interstate. I worked two yesterday that involved cranial-rectumitis where someone merged directly into the car next to them. I also had two different vehicles swerve onto the shoulder and nearly rear-end me last night on two separate occasions. And these are not isolated incidents or crashes...it happens every day that I work.

No, I do not trust the drivers of Alabama...they really are trying to kill you. I think lane splitting should be legal, but I wouldn't do it.

Do you think Alabama drivers are worse than those of other states?   I have lived in 10 different states.  I would rate the drivers here in Huntsville as better than average compared to other places I have lived, driven and ridden.  Not saying they are good, just better than average.  Of course traffic here is also lighter than many other places so that may have something to do with it. 

Birmingham on the other hand has much worse traffic than Huntsville and bad traffic tends to bring out the worst in drivers. 

springer

Lane splitting explained on Wiki;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting

Lane splitting guild-lines from the California Highway Patrol;

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/assets/docs/CHP-lane-splitting-guidelines-California.pdf

Yep, REALLY wish we HAD IT HERE.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

IceCold4x4

Would have made my morning commute much easier this am since 280 was screwed up. I ducked I to mountain brook and likely made an ass of myself trying to make up lost time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

springer

Quote from: Vurrich on September 23, 2017, 04:37:17 PM
I think this was once legal in Bama?
Legal or not I did do this some when I was younger but with more caution than the driver in the video seemed to utilize.
Never legal here in Alabama. (but that hasn't stopped me on occasion) Only state in the U.S.A. were it is legal is California.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Chuck A.

For moving traffic, I think it is stupid to do it. Personally I drive a vehicle looking out the front glass, not the mirror looking for some one passing 6 inches from my door. Cities should make a motorcycle lane before going to this. Its your azz if you want to do it......
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

klaviator

Quote from: Chuck A. on September 24, 2017, 07:46:31 AM
For moving traffic, I think it is stupid to do it. Personally I drive a vehicle looking out the front glass, not the mirror looking for some one passing 6 inches from my door. Cities should make a motorcycle lane before going to this. Its your azz if you want to do it......

Studies have shown that it is safer to lane split in heavy stop and go or slow moving traffic.  I places like LA it can make the difference between a 30 min commute and a 2 hour commute.  You live in a place where lane splitting is not necessary and wouldn't make much difference.

For me, the situation I would most likely use it around here is when stopped at a light.  Many times drivers are so lethargic about accelerating when the light turns greens that sometimes you have to sit through another cycle just because of the idiots in front of you. 

springer

Quote from: Chuck A. on September 24, 2017, 07:46:31 AM
Yea......no.

http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/the-hazard-perception-test/scanning

https://www.defensivedriving.com/blog/how-often-should-you-check-your-mirrors/

https://www.thesafedriver.ca/2009/10/08/how-often-should-you-check-your-mirror/

https://www.reddit.com/r/DrivingProTips/comments/2t8qju/when_should_i_be_checking_my_mirrors_new_driver/

http://www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/1818719-how-often-do-you-check-your.html

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/wise-words-from-a-nervous-novice/article19428438/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

And if you do not believe in the intro-nets.........ask a policeman or even moore better, a state trooper, a professional driving instructor...

You veer out of your lane it is your responsibility. You also need to know what is going on around you while you drive.

That is a very bad habit you got Chuck....one you need to break.   

kdtrull

Pretty sure a trooper already chimed in on this....outlook not so good.

Chitza

Quote from: kdtrull on September 24, 2017, 10:29:54 AM
Pretty sure a trooper already chimed in on this....outlook not so good.

Like button clicked
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

KrisCook

I feel like there would have to be a big public education campaign that would have to accompany any new legislation that permits filtering.  I feel like 99% of drivers would react angrily to the thought that anyone was "jumping line."  Never mind the fact that it won't make them even one minute later to work.  I guess we can never overestimate the pig-headedness of American drivers.

All the same, I'd pitch in and help fight to make it legal. 

Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

Chitza

Angry about jumping line on the street? I've seen people come to blows over perceived jumping line at the double lane McDonalds drive thru  :crazy:
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

springer

Quote from: KevinB on September 20, 2017, 05:37:52 PM
I'd love it if it were allowed here, but I don't trust the drivers of Alabama enough to actually do it personally.
Yep and now I understand him not trusting Alabama drivers.

Checking your mirrors on a regular bases is a BASIC part of driving.

Pretty sure Keven would agree. 

Anyway, I stand behind my comment to Chuck. If he really doesn't check his mirrors, it is him who the dangerous driver IS.   

kdtrull

I think Chuck's honest testament may be getting unnecessarily hyperbolized here.  The natural response to something moving in the peripheral vision will trigger, at least briefly, a period of increased attention to that new object in a reasonably aware person...which I consider Chuck to be.

Look....I'm not trying to blow up anyone's opinion but, you cannot drive on any of our common commuter routes (or anywhere else for that matter) and not see, first-hand, that many people are aggressive and deliberate in their unsafe maneuvers....and they could care less if you have to take countermeasures to avoid an accident.

Some people are spiteful:
How many times have any of us tried to pass a 50 m.p.h. driver only to find that they will speed up to 80 m.p.h to prevent you from passing?
How many times have you been behind a slow driver on a two lane road and found that they drive 4 feet over the center line in every straightaway?
Some folks are markedly stupid (Chuck is NOT one of them)....and some are just freakin' cantankerous a-holes.
Consider the odds that the drivers we are exposed to, every day, would not intentionally put just a little more squeeze on just to prevent the fortunate rider from gaining an extra position or two.
City, county, 8 lane, 2 lane....it does not matter.  Any person that puckers up when they see an approaching vehicle about to turn left knows what I'm talking about.

Many inhabitants of this planet are willing to risk their life (and yours too, to a much greater degree) to save 500 ms of their time. 

Alpha-drivers kill normal people.
Dumb-a$$ distracted drivers kill normal people.
Inbred jerk-holes that just don't give a sh1t kill normal people.
Numerous, completely legal, compromised elderly drivers kill normal people.
Our entire country (including the revered California) is infested with all categories of folks that will, either intentionally or otherwise, get you killed.

The exchange of energy, even at low differential speeds, can be lethal to a motorcycle rider.
In deadlocked traffic, I'd consider it.  In moving traffic, I don't even trust the people I know best to ensure safe passage with only inches to spare.
They are simply not conditioned or "educated" to allow for driving conditions that are outside the normal of what they've experienced for either days or decades.

Additionally, I do not believe any amount of education will prevent the common a$$ from being a common a$$....no more than I believe any amount of education will prevent any (otherwise normal) distracted driver from being a distracted driver.....no matter the reason.

I believe you should have legal standing to attempt lane splitting, if you should choose too.  But, I'd have a hard time having sympathy for whatever happens to you while doing so after witnessing all the things I have witnessed on the road.

Once I have been killed by any driver of any category, fault or no-fault (of either party), my speculative arguments change precisely nothing....I'm still dead.

norton73

Quote from: kdtrull on September 24, 2017, 08:36:29 PM
I think Chuck's honest testament may be getting unnecessarily hyperbolized here.  The natural response to something moving in the peripheral vision will trigger, at least briefly, a period of increased attention to that new object in a reasonably aware person...which I consider Chuck to be.

Look....I'm not trying to blow up anyone's opinion but, you cannot drive on any of our common commuter routes (or anywhere else for that matter) and not see, first-hand, that many people are aggressive and deliberate in their unsafe maneuvers....and they could care less if you have to take countermeasures to avoid an accident.

Some people are spiteful:
How many times have any of us tried to pass a 50 m.p.h. driver only to find that they will speed up to 80 m.p.h to prevent you from passing?
How many times have you been behind a slow driver on a two lane road and found that they drive 4 feet over the center line in every straightaway?
Some folks are markedly stupid (Chuck is NOT one of them)....and some are just freakin' cantankerous a-holes.
Consider the odds that the drivers we are exposed to, every day, would not intentionally put just a little more squeeze on just to prevent the fortunate rider from gaining an extra position or two.
City, county, 8 lane, 2 lane....it does not matter.  Any person that puckers up when they see an approaching vehicle about to turn left knows what I'm talking about.

Many inhabitants of this planet are willing to risk their life (and yours too, to a much greater degree) to save 500 ms of their time. 

Alpha-drivers kill normal people.
Dumb-a$$ distracted drivers kill normal people.
Inbred jerk-holes that just don't give a sh1t kill normal people.
Numerous, completely legal, compromised elderly drivers kill normal people.
Our entire country (including the revered California) is infested with all categories of folks that will, either intentionally or otherwise, get you killed.

The exchange of energy, even at low differential speeds, can be lethal to a motorcycle rider.
In deadlocked traffic, I'd consider it.  In moving traffic, I don't even trust the people I know best to ensure safe passage with only inches to spare.
They are simply not conditioned or "educated" to allow for driving conditions that are outside the normal of what they've experienced for either days or decades.

Additionally, I do not believe any amount of education will prevent the common a$$ from being a common a$$....no more than I believe any amount of education will prevent any (otherwise normal) distracted driver from being a distracted driver.....no matter the reason.

I believe you should have legal standing to attempt lane splitting, if you should choose too.  But, I'd have a hard time having sympathy for whatever happens to you while doing so after witnessing all the things I have witnessed on the road.

Once I have been killed by any driver of any category, fault or no-fault (of either party), my speculative arguments change precisely nothing....I'm still dead.

:applause-003:
Loose nut holding the handlebars