News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Mono ocular and PMS

Started by Chuck & Susan, October 23, 2017, 08:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

Chuck, Have you considered changing your left side mirror or maybe adding one to give yourself a better field of view on the left side?

Chuck & Susan

Klav, I have... I was thinking of something more of the fish eye type. Right at the moment I feel like mounting a truck mirror over there..... lol

But then I haven't hit the street yet. A few more weekend rides around the back yard and next move up to the high school parking lot just up the street. I'll set myself up a circle of trust and maybe something along the lines of GP8 that Springer has. I have to build confidence it the butt to seat feel and learn not to rely on vision input so much. Easier said than done... But I WILL get there.

I want to have enough control to make the "Last Ride Of The Year" on Dec. 30th. That is only a leisurely 20 mile ride from here. I guess that's my first goal as of now.
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

gulfcoaster

Just saw this Chuck. Sorry to hear the news, but kudos to you for hopping on the bike and getting after it!  I think you just skipped right past the whole denial, and anger phases and said screw it, not gonna let this get me down.  That's pretty awesome!  Let me know when you're ready to get back on the road. I have no doubt you'll be back by spring if you keep it up.

TFancher

Chuck , if you want to spend a little more time "on the dirt" getting some seat time on a smaller bike, I have a Yamaha XT 225 you can use for as long as you need it. Let me know and I'll bring it to you. Good excuse for a ride to the coast!
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Chuck & Susan

Quote from: TFancher on November 01, 2017, 10:58:56 AM
I have a Yamaha XT 225 you can use for as long as you need it. Let me know and I'll bring it to you. Good excuse for a ride to the coast!

I had to think about that a day or so Tony. But I'm all good with the wing. I have to build myself up to it anyway, I'll just keep at it.

But 2 things:
1) Is that not a great example of the good people that I have met on the BamaRides site. Man willing to loan me a bike too get me back in the saddle. Don't think I don't appreciate the offer cuz I do.
2) No excuse needed to come ride the coast. There is always good food, drink, & at least one BR member (ME) who would be glad to join ya!! Or any other BR member that visits the area. And I hope to be back on the street in 60 days or less. (Personal Goal)

Thanks again Tony.
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

merc16

You can do it Chuck ! Someone I ride with only has one eye. He lost the other one when he was a kid. I can barely keep up with him on rides. I haven't asked him if he has challenges riding. I guess because I can't catch up to him to ask !
Justin

merc16

Hey Chuck, just checking on you. How you doing ?
Justin

Chuck & Susan

Quote from: merc16 on November 11, 2017, 07:59:33 AM
Hey Chuck, just checking on you. How you doing ?

Doing good.  Plan on taking the bike to the school parking lot today and see how it goes.  Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for checking

Chuck
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chuck & Susan

**** MAJOR SETBACK****
[/color][/size]

Just to update you folks on the saga of the One-Eyed Rider....

I have been spending the past couple of weekends just ridding the parking lot of the Robertsdale High School. Encircle the lot and the light post getting my turns tighter and sharper. I also learned something about the bike. It does much better at low speed maneuvers in 2nd gear. The computer keeps the idol up without the throttle and all I have to do is trail brake. It's just that 2nd gear is much smoother than 1st. And nowhere near as jerky.  So I have been getting very confident in my ability and my butt to seat feel again. Also learning that for me now it's not where the NOSE points but the center of my vision is where the bike is going. So I am keeping my head a bit to the left.

Anyway.... On to the setback...

Thursday morning I had to be in a wireless commission meeting in downtown Montgomery at 10am. It was going to be such a gorgeous day. Perfect for a bike ride. I got ready to leave that morning about daybreak. Kinda cool and a little airish but not bad here on the coast. And here was where the SETBACK happened.

I SETBACK into the seat twisted the throttle and I was no my way to Montgomery!!! Oh it felt GREAT!!!! Even the cool air was refreshing!! I was off for my first Road Trip.!!!!

Yea it was I-65 and nothing thrilling but was awesome to now feel the wing up to speed. I learned a few more things along the way. The biggest is I DON'T care for cars to ride alongside me on the left side. I kept the feeling that if they drifted over into my lane I would not know it. Klav asked earlier in the thread about mirrors. I really had no problem with the mirrors. In fact just a slight head turn and I could see the car along side me fine in the mirror.  But those are just glances. It is nothing like the good ole peripheral vision that I am lacking. I'm still getting used to that being the new normal for me. That may take alot of time.

Oh and after the meeting..... Do you think I was in any hurry to just hit I-65 and cruse home.... NO WAY!!!! I took the back roads home. Or at least the NON-Interstate Highways. You know hwys 80, 31, 84, 29, & a few others. Now if you notice I could have followed Hwy 31 from Montgomery all the way home. Nahh That was too quick  of a course to follow. I had to zig zag a bit... Oh Darn... LOL... Hey I just wanted to be home before sunset. I still wasn't sure how my vision was going to affect me after dark on the bike. I know it has to a degree driving the car. I really enjoyed the scenery and the wind therapy.. I noticed just before I got home that I was really close to 500 miles for the day. Yep you guessed it. I hit a couple more back roads before rolling up into the yard. Total for the day -- 508 -- of the best miles I have encountered. And no it was not the Mountains and no not one single twisty. But I was told that I really needed to stay off the bike for 6 months before attempting.  I'm back on the road in just over 2 months!!!

Now for another Minor SETBACK last night.....
Susan is off in the car on a Ghost Hunt with a friend of hers in Atlanta. And yesterday was my moms 75th b'day. The whole family met for dinner at Davids Catfish over in Spanish Fort at 7pm last night. I wasn't driving the Bamalance over there. No way. And one of the family members could have give me a ride. No I figured I needed to find out how I would do on the bike at night. You know just have to face your fears and get over it thing. So I SETBACK into the seat and twisted the throttle again. It was only a 40 - 50 mile round trip with moderate traffic. But I did make it a 100 mile trip... And I'm here telling the story... So yes I made it fine... Was a bit interesting for a learning experience. Night vision with one-eye and corrective glasses thru a face shield and a windshield with all the lights is a bit overwhelming. Nothing to stop me but is going to take a lot of practice. Oh and it was trying to get foggy a bit with dew settling on everything. Cars lights (Head & Tail) ahead of  me was kinda a double vision blur. Coupled with the depth perception thing. I found my self being very overly cautious. I have to learn which starburst of light are the real lights and which are reflections. This too will come with practice. But after getting out of the traffic thing on some back roads it was not bad at all.  Overall it too was a nice experience and I'm glad I did take the bike.

I know I had indicated earlier in this tread that my GOAL was to ride to Stage Coach Cafe for the "Last Ride Of The Year" But I just had to get back on the bike. Too stubborn and hard headed I guess like my darling wife tells me. And once again she is right... I am.... I WILL be back up in North Alabama soon chasing the COOL KIDS from Bama Rides... ahhhh.... MC-AL.com around the hills again. I would love to have been up there now with Al and Melony hearing the stories of the adventures from everyone. But I will be back soon!!!

Stay tuned for later updates.... Susan and I are planning to ride 2 up some locally this week. She is starting to trust me & I hope I don't drop her for the 2nd time.... lol

Chuck

2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chitza

So happy to hear about your setbacks, Chuck! And welcome to mc-al!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Chuck & Susan

Thank you and believe me I am THRILLED to be here or back here!!

Oh and Nice Job carting over all the stuff into the new servers follks..
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

merc16

This is so great to hear Chuck !!!! That's a good positive way to use the word setback.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Justin

Chuck & Susan

:D I thought it was a cute play on words..  8)
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Nice Goat

Quote from: Chuck & Susan on November 18, 2017, 10:33:01 AM
I have been spending the past couple of weekends just ridding the parking lot of the Robertsdale High School. Encircle the lot and the light post getting my turns tighter and sharper. I also learned something about the bike. It does much better at low speed maneuvers in 2nd gear. The computer keeps the idol up without the throttle and all I have to do is trail brake. It's just that 2nd gear is much smoother than 1st. And nowhere near as jerky.  So I have been getting very confident in my ability and my butt to seat feel again. Also learning that for me now it's not where the NOSE points but the center of my vision is where the bike is going. So I am keeping my head a bit to the left.

Sounds like you had a nice gymkhana "a-ha" moment too.  Very nice.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."