News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

What was your first bike?

Started by 2smoke, September 25, 2015, 08:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chitza

My first bike was a hippie-mobile. I was going to save gas as a natural resource by buying a Yamaha 125cc scooter with 114mpg. I was too scared to ride it the 4 miles to work on hwy 31. So I took the MSF course. It's been all down hill from there. I had to have "a real bike" after that. I sold the scooter with 63 miles on it. And in 7 years I have owned over twelve bikes in all categories. Yes. I'm addicted.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Argh Oh

Welcome Chitza, glad you're here... ::)

klaviator

My first bike was a 1976 KZ400 that I bought used in 1980.

mojo1

My first bike that I learned to ride on was a KX 420 & The first street bike I owned was a 80 Kawasaki ltd 750 like the ones below.
GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Danimal

BOOTYHUNTER

I drove my dad crazy about a bike until he finally gave. I was always fascinated with motorcycles so when he surprised me with it I was the happiest 9 yr old kid ever.

He didn't ride so I learned to ride the hard way. Many crashes but somehow I survived.

First bike was a 1982 KX80 just like the one in this pic. 

griff

My first bike was a Yamaha BW80. I rode it so much I wore out the top end. Had to have it rebuilt and rode it until I outgrew it.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

hawkvtx

Had a Sears mini-bike in the 3rd grade then moved up to a Honda 50cc Mini-Trail. But my first real motorcycle was this little Kawi 100.

2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

Trail guy

My first bike was a late 80s pw50 that two of my cousins learned to ride on and then my older brother and then me so by the time I was done with it, it was toast. Still have the old girl but it would only be good for parts. My first real bike was a 2000 xr 80 that I got for my 8th Christmas still have it too and it just received a well deserved disassembly cleaning and reassembly. I rode the wheels off of the 80. Here is a pic of it after the cleaning should have taken a before but I didn't

kdtrull

In 1973, I learned to ride a bicycle.  In 1974, I got a Yamaha GT60....too soon for me but my dad thought it was "cool".  I crashed it repeatedly.
I can't find a good picture of it except for the Canadian version....which I doubt was anywhere to be found in or near Decatur, AL.
I'm pretty sure he got it from Steve at Allsport.
It looked a lot like the GT80...which there's a gozillion pictures of online. 
I still have a phillips-head shaped scar on my left leg from the exhaust guard where it once fell on me and I couldn't get it off quick enough.
I was riding in the field where the Beltline Mall is in Decatur.  The National Guard used to land helicopters there back when it was just an empty field.
One was on approach when I crashed because I was watching it instead of what was in front of me.
Three years later, my dad bought me another bike that was too big for me....a Yamaha DT100.  I crashed it repeatedly.
Wash, rinse, repeat, for most of the rest of my life!!!  ;D  In reality, I stopped crashing on a regular basis in my late teens/early twenties.
But, I think the DT100 era was when I learned to get away from the stupid machine when you know you're going to crash.

RubyRider

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/VA8Axo38cqhn9UxSFIjvUQ--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9MzkxO3E9OTU7dz01NTk-/http://my50.co.za/wp-content/gallery/honda-monkey-bike/honda-mini-trail-z-50_4.jpg

This is the one, that started it all for me!
If you aint smokin, you are eatin dust!

Gene W

I rode a lot of different bikes belonging to my friends and Honda 50 Cubs from rental shops at the beach for several years before buying my first bike. After looking for months at Tom and Sarge, Honda East, Honda West Honda Central, Smith Brothers in an old house in Tarrant, that sleepy little Harley shop downtown and reading all of the reviews, my seventeen year old brain couldn't resist the allure of what was the fastest street bike available (for about five minutes) the 1971 Kawasaki Mach III. 500 cc of two strike bliss guaranteed to leave your friends in a massive cloud of blue smoke. I bought it brand new in September of 1971, wow, 44 years ago.

My parents always said that I could never have a motorcycle as long as I lived under their roof, just as was the case with many of you. I don't know why they relented because they never allowed my two older brothers to buy one. I guess they didn't love me as much but my Dad went with me down to Four Seasons Cycle on 1st Ave So in Woodlawn and I laid my money down that I had saved from working summers and after school.

The Mach III was a beast, best at going straight and fast, middling on handling and worst at stopping. I learned two important riding lessons from this bike. The most important was the need to learn and understand the finer points of counter steering as it relates to staying out of people's yards on the outside of curves taken to fast. The second was that it gets colder in Birmingham than I had previously thought when you are riding home from work late at night in ordinary street clothes.

I'm lucky to have survived that bike. The first of many great bikes. I would love to have one of the Mach III jacket patches that depicted the rear view of the bike's asymmetrical styling, with two mufflers on one side and one on the other of the rear tire.

Ryanbroome

This is going to be my boys first bike in a month
2002 XR50 that is very well broken in

It must have been a supermoto before I got it. Ha

IceCold4x4

1995 Vulcan 750.  Great little bike.  Learned alot about bikes In a bit over 6 months with it.  Had to pull the motor,  clean the carbs, replace a stator and some pickup coils.  And a few other random things. Put about 4k on it in that time. Then I stepped up to a real bike with the zrx.

Slede

Quote from: Ryanbroome on November 26, 2015, 11:15:15 PM
This is going to be my boys first bike in a month
2002 XR50 that is very well broken in

It must have been a supermoto before I got it. Ha

you can't kill'm. got my son a 79 z50 when he turned 5. it smoked a little, i figured i'd let him ride it until it quit and then freshen the topend. he's almost 12 and it still smokes just a little when you first start it up. runs like a singer sewing machine still
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.