News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

The Grand Slam

Started by Gam, June 12, 2018, 05:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gam

So the plan was to camp at Tranquility Campground on CR 106, near Desoto Falls SP, Friday night,  camp at Holly Flats Campground on Bald River Saturday night, and camp at Lake Conasauga in the Cohutta Wilderness Sunday night.  All three were on the water, so I decided to take a fly rod and go for the Grand Slam, a fish at every camp.

Tranquility Campground is one of my Summer favorites, dense shade, no people, and the best camp sites you can find, big and flat, with water at every site.

The lake looks more promising than it is. I was up there once during a drought, the lake was almost gone, and all I saw were rotting carp on the dry bottom.

But there was something hitting on top, so I tied on a little no name dry fly from the Walmart.  It took a while to learn the preferred presentation, which was sling out there and do nothing, not even a twitch. Once I figured it out the fish were on.

Now this may not seem to be a very big fish and the fight lasted maybe 15 seconds, but everything is relative...

This may be the smallest fish I ever caught on a hook, and the fight lasted precisely zero seconds, I started a back cast and this came up with the fly, didn't know he was on there until came sailing up.

So the next morning we head to Holly Flats.

My KLR sat over by itself mumbling "it could go anywhere those fancy bikes go.", never mind the sight glass revealed a need for oil from being pushed too hard that day. (David Haynes Photo)

The terminus of the Bald River Trail is about a half mile from Holly Flats, if you have a day..or two.. you will come out right there at Bald River Falls. So, I walked from camp and took the trail.  I walked a good way and never got down close to the water, finally, peering down at a likely looking hole, I just dropped off down in there. This little rainbow hit on the second cast, and then I got a real strong strike, but no fish, so I climbed back up to the trail.  Thoughts of Sasquatches and bears started to creep into my mind, so I hoofed to back to camp and called the venture a success.

We worried about rain for Monday morning, riding in the rain is one thing, but breaking camp in the rain is another, so we just headed home Sunday. The Grand Slam will have to wait.

kdtrull

Too cool, bro.  I'm looking for a 2-piece ultra-light spinning rig if you know where to find one.  Our local stores largely suck.  A very compact fly rig would be cool too.

Gam

I carry a bass pro shop microlite pack rod and Penn 430 ssg reel for spin fishing, the rod is 4 piece graphite.  I carry a two piece 6 1/2 foot eagle claw fly rod on the bike, it sticks out some but I really like that rod. You can get all sorts of pack spinning, pack fly, and combo pack spin fly rods on line.....Cabelas, LL Bean, Bass Pro Shop come to mind.

kylepeterson

I've been watching folks practice casting flys at the park. looks really easy for them. might have to try this whole fishing off the bike thing.
just give 'er the berries !

bblass

@kdtrull I've got this one from amazon and am a big fan. Its almost as nice as the one my dad has at a fraction of the price.

https://smile.amazon.com/PLUSINNO-Lightweight-Portable-Graphite-Stainless/dp/B01GO37GDK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528895668&sr=8-3&keywords=travel+fly+rod

This came up too when I was searching for the fly rod. Good reviews!
https://smile.amazon.com/Okuma-VS-605-20-Voyager-Spinning-Travel/dp/B000MQTJW2/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1528895668&sr=8-19&keywords=travel+fly+rod

@DonJuan @kylepeterson Sounds like we need to plan dual sport fishing trip to the Helena Wildlife Management area
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

kdtrull

That fly rig is just about perfect but I'm gonna' start with the spinning rig.  Nice find and nice price.

catang5oh

I carry a Pflueger ultra lite spinner from Bass Pro. Comes in a case, ready to roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk