News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Looking back at my time with the "old" Bamarides

Started by klaviator, September 11, 2015, 10:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I liked High Falls so much that I decided to lead a ride there.  I posted it up and despite some cold weather, a few hard core riders showed up.

Dredman and One one the side came up from B'ham area.  Andy and Missie (I don't remember his screen name) came a long way to get here.  I think it was the first group street ride for MrsGriff.

We rode to High falss and found that it was mostly frozen.  I'm really glad I got the chance to see this.  It's not something you'll see real often in Alabama.

Then we rode back to Guntersville where we ended up eating someplace near the water.

klaviator

Another winter ride.  We met at Cycle Gear.

Ate at Crawmammas:

Then did some riding with a stop at Guntersville SP

klaviator

March of 2014 rolled in with some nice riding weather so I took advantage of it.

First up was a dual sport rider in the Wheeler Wildlife refuge with Falcon7 and Slowroad.  It was Falcon7's first time off the pavement as he had just got his first dual sport bike.  Tim (Slowroad) was new to this dirt stuff as well.  We had a good time and it was interesting watching both of them gain confidence and ride faster as rode. 

Besides the riding we stopped a few times and just talked.  It was great getting to know both of these guys.

klaviator

The following weekend I got out and explored WWR on the south side of the river with a new Bamarides member.  Due to advanced stage CRS disease, I can't remember his name. 

Then that evening we had a flash mob at Crickets:

klaviator

March of 2014 started out really great and then just got better.  It really brought to light all the benefits of being on Bamarides.  The day after the dual sport ride and flashmob I headed down to Barber to watch a bunch of BR riders do a track day.  I got to watch the riding, hang out in the pits and Don had access to pretty much anywhere around the track so I got some unique views and took a lot of pics.

Lostinbama and his distinctive "yellow eyed" R1:

Don shot a lot of video and pics:

Back in the pits:

Not your typical track bike:

That would be Springer on his XR1200

Met Karla and Buzz for the first time while we were hanging out at this nice viewpoint:

There was a parapalegic rider in the expert class.  We stopped to check out his bike:

Don interviewed him.  Very inspiring:

Argh Oh

Great reports Win, some I hadn't read before. We both got involved with these hooligans about the same time. Thanks for your memories!

klaviator

The next ride was another dual sport ride.  This time it was a ride posted by Yankee Dog and we rode the truck trail on the South side of the rider in the WWR.  It was also my first time meeting Yankee dog in person after having traded posts in ADV for a couple of years.  Mrs Yankee Dog and Slowroad also came along.  Some pics:

klaviator

Next up, and still in March of 2014 was the Top Gun in Montevallo.  BR was supposed to run part of this but ended up being shut out at the last minute.  Many of us still showed up and participated.  It was my first time doing something like this other that than the ERC course I took years ago.  this was much more fun.

When I got there and looked at the courses, they made no sense to me.  Luckily Kyle showed me around the Advanced course.

I kept practicing on the advanced course.

I entered the competition.  There where no other scooters so they put me in the cruiser class which I won :)

There where a lot of really impressive riders there including some motor cops and a small gal on a big Harley.  A few more pics:

Kyle taking my scooter for a spin:

klaviator

March of 2014 was a great month for riding but I wasn't done yet.  For those of you who remember back then, I was trying really hard to get more scooter riders active on BR.  One of the local Scooter club members set up a ride to Barber from Huntsville and we ended up making it a joint Scoot Happens/BR event.  We left Huntsville with 5 scooters, 3 of them only 150cc.

We took this pic on the way:

Then a bunch of BR members met us at a restaurant in Birmingham where we had lunch.

Then Don led us all the Barber where we spent some time in the museum.

We took a little detour to the Swann Covered Bridge on the way back to Huntsville:

My total mileage for this ride was around 250 miles.  No big deal on my 250 but a pretty long ride for those on little 150s.

klaviator

April of 2014 got off to a good start with a great ride in the dirt with Griff, MsGriff and Beck:

A week or so later I rode to Albertsville and met Al & Melony for lunch:

We finished off the month with a dirt skills day at Holly Tree:

Spring had definitely sprung in N. AL.

That evening after the dirt skills day we had 17 people show up at a flash mob at Crickets: