2016-05-07 Santa Fe & NE 1/4 of the Big TN Dirt Loop

Started by kdtrull, May 07, 2016, 09:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdtrull

Took a ride up to Santa Fe today.  The weather was great except for some really strong wind gusts.  Just on the NE end of Mt. Pleasant and SW of Columbia is Maury County Regional Airport.  When I went by on the north side of the runway, I saw this big old twin engine plane waiting on the side for a smaller plane to land.  The wind was really whipping so I wanted to get around to some high ground and watch it take off all crabby and sideways and stuff.  I couldn't get there in time.  I got this from the south side of the runway just as it was headed down the runway.
I think it is an old DC-3.  Anybody know for sure?

More soon.

kdtrull

If you blink at the wrong time, you'll miss Sante Fe....or you'll drive right through this S in the middle of town and crash:

Next thing you know, you're leaving town:

The ride to Santa Fe is not about the destination.  It's about all the nifty ways you can get there.

kdtrull

Get yourself just north of Santa Fe, find Dutch Potts Hollow Rd., and within just a minute or two, you'll be back in water country and find yourself a nice waterfall.

kdtrull

Lot's of folks out enjoying the nice weather.  Down low, near the creeks, there was not that blistering wind like up on the high ground.

Nice old homes and barns....most (not all) of the old properties up here are very well taken care of:

There's no telling what you might run upon around the next curve.  I've been surprised before by huge tractors, dump trucks, hay wagons, the Fe-Ex guy....first time I ran up behind a Kubota.  I guess if you want to ride bad enough, you'll ride whatever you got:

klaviator

Quote from: kdtrull on May 07, 2016, 10:08:32 PM

There's no telling what you might run upon around the next curve.  I've been surprised before by huge tractors, dump trucks, hay wagons, the Fe-Ex guy....first time I ran up behind a Kubota.  I guess if you want to ride bad enough, you'll ride whatever you got:

Ya never know about them riding lawn mowers.  I think some may be fun to ride:

kdtrull

Ya never know about them riding lawn mowers.  I think some may be fun to ride:

[/quote]

Now that looks like a Hickman county lawnmower!!

Even the happy old farmer dudes like to ride on days like today:

kdtrull

I met quite a few nice folks doing the their Maintenance Day up at the Westpoint/NATRA area today.  I rode through a couple times.  Everywhere I stopped, folks tried to put me to work.  I had to explain that I'm not a member......"we don't care...need help"....."Sorry, I got other plans".  Never did run across the group Mr. Fencejumper was working with.

Now look here....before you go gett'n any sideways notions up in your noggin'....I wasn't trying to antagonize these girls.  They did a burnout all the way up the side of the last creek....they were just playin' in the creek.....trying to have some fun.  I was just trying to have some fun too.

Back in St. Joe, I got behind a truck with a bed full of youngens'...7-10 year range, I figure.  They was smiling, waving, and making all kinds of loopy-whoopy gestures that I could only interpret as "the popa-wheelie sign".  So, at the rise up to the train tracks, right before getting into the "it ain't smart to do that here zone", I did it....and they whooped and waved and giggled and hollered.  What a terrible example I sat for the next generation.

It was a great day for smiling.

lazeebum

I wish I could have been there. Sometimes, being a good example is overrated.

Yankee Dog

I am jealous of the great riding you have up your way.  We have got to set up another time to ride the loop again.  This time we camp on both nights so i don't have to cut out early to make it home. 

kdtrull

I don't want to start a new thread just for today.  It was not a grand adventure but the weather was great and the scenery good too  8)
I took a tour of all my favorite swimmin' holes.  No pics from the holes...just in the area.  Can't let you guys think I'm a perv AND a goofball.

I spent a great deal of time looking for some dang bamboo.  Then it was off to the cricks.
The first swim hole is in the midst of several all grouped together.  One of my favorite roads to get to it.  Last year, this field was 9' tall corn and you couldn't see anything.  This year is nice cut hay and makes a pleasant scene:

I really only have a few more.  I started noticing all the abandoned and/or run down farms.  Figured I'd just add 'em to this report.  These are all north and west of the Mt. Zion area...some of you been there on one of Al Goodwin's rides.

By the end of today....my exhaust packing experiment was dust.  I give up.

About all else I got to say is:
Thank the maker for Gulf Shores....'cause that's where the woman is this weekend and I get to ride all I want to.
and
Thank the maker's people for inventing Pandora charm bracelets....'cause I ain't had to think real hard about gift ideas since she got the first bracelet.

Yeah...I'm a scumbag.  Smile anyways.