News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Wayah Bald / Pickens Nose?

Started by KevinB, May 24, 2016, 02:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

I'm sure someone here has been to Wayah Bald. How is the road leading up to the tower?

Some reviews on-line say it's a 4 mile dirt road requiring an off-road bike, while others say it's groomed gravel passable by Nissan Altima.

Also, how gnarly is the access to Pickens Nose?

I'll be on Big V with sport-touring tires, possibly two-up.

TIA!

klaviator

I went up there many years ago on a dual sport bike.  It wasn't anything challenging.  The thing with most of those gravel forest roads is that they periodically put down fresh gravel.  If the road is freshly graveled it can be a PITA to ride.  If not it shouldn't be a problem on a streetbike.  I'd do it on my scooter. 

KevinB

I know it'll be curvy, but how is the grade?  I'd rather avoid steep,  tight hairpins on gravel 2-up.

norton73

Been close to 10 years since I last went there, but I don't remember anything difficult at all about the ride. I was on the R100GS with a friend on a R1150GS and we were trying to get to the tower at dusk to photogragh the sunset. We rode all the way to the base of the tower, footpath, steps etc.  :)
Loose nut holding the handlebars

klaviator

Quote from: KevinB on May 24, 2016, 03:27:44 PM
I know it'll be curvy, but how is the grade?  I'd rather avoid steep,  tight hairpins on gravel 2-up.

I don't remember anything real tight or steep. 

kdtrull

We went today, inspired by you.  I can't imagine any kind of bike that would not make it.

kdtrull

No foolin, I'd never heard of the place until you mentioned it.  It's one of the prettiest rides I've been on up here.

And it's about 30 degrees cooler up there

SpeedyR

I've ridden my CBR100rr with dot race tires up there. It's easy. And great views. Nice roads all around there.