2016-06-05 Area Ride - All Alone :-( (sniff, sniff)

Started by kdtrull, June 05, 2016, 08:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdtrull

I had hoped to head back up into Hickman County today and try to find some more nifty roads to add to the Big TN Dirt Loop.  But, since nobody every want's to play with me  :'( , I just set out for an area ride.  Didn't get off to a very bright start, as you may have seen earlier.  I spent too much time eating breakfast at St. Joe Cafe and messed around and let the rain move in on me before I could get north of it.

It was only about a 30 minute setback and I was still considering heading farther north but, while I was waiting out the rain, I got a text from The Warden.  She wanted to meet at Square 40 in Lawrenceburg after church....more opportunity to score kitchen pass!!!  So, I piddled around a little bit SW of the lunch stop then, headed into town:

If you like country cookin', you'll love Square 40.  The location is perfect for this place....right in the middle of an old-school downtown square.  Stop by if you're ever near Lawrenceburg.  It's a cool old place with lots of local history.  Be sure to check out all the autographed pictures on the walls....George Lindsey, Fred Thompson, and several more you may recognize.

Anyway, the weather was starting to clear by then and boy was it nice....77 degrees and partly cloudy.  While my wi...The Warden and about 12 of our friends had my undivided attention during lunch, I thought of a place nearby that I wanted to see for the first time.  If you go out the new TN 64 West, you'll drive right over it and never know it.....unless you hang your head waaay off to the side.  This was one of those "right in your back yard" places that I've never managed to go see in all the years we've lived over here.  It's a small dam that, apparently, generated electricity at some point in the past.  No power lines connect to it anymore.

I really had to search for it since my 2015 map has not been updated for the new extension of 64....turns out, the right road was right in front of me every time I crossed the bridge.  You'll end up going way past it then, backtracking a spell to get back down to the site on Old Powerhouse Road.  The new 64 extension broke the original road right into so it's only accessible from one side now.

Then it was time for a couple shots from above:

I still had the itch to go north so I headed up Napier Road towards the dirts in Hickman County.  I stopped by the Meriwether Lewis site for a water break.  This is a shot I should've saved for the "guess where" game but.....

This might have been a good one for the game too but....

Well....check back in a little while.  I want to show you a video with the funniest thing I've seen on the road in a long time.  I was laughing so hard, I'm lucky I didn't tote home a butt whoopin'.

kdtrull

Never made it past the Lewis place.  I promised to come home in time to go to evening service.
Check out this scene from the way home on the eastbound bridge over the powerhouse.....squeak, squeak, pop, squeak.  I ain't hatin'....you gotta' ride what you got....I kinda' bet it was fun.  ;D
Kinda' felt bad for sneakin' up on the old feller....he never said a word....maybe he didn't like me sneaking up on him or maybe he could tell that I was about to bust out of my jacket laughing.

WECSOG

Quote from: kdtrull on June 05, 2016, 08:15:35 PM
  Be sure to check out all the autographed pictures on the walls....George Lindsey, Fred Thompson, and several more you may recognize.

Fred Thompson grew up in Lawrenceburg. He was born in Alabama, though.

klaviator

We all feel for ya having to endure all that crappy scenery and crummy roads all by yourself.  We also feel bad that you have to endure that beast of a bike.  Those KLRs are wicked and will pop power wheelies at the slightest twitch of the hand.  I think you may want to trade it in on something more manageable like a Hayabusa

kdtrull

Quote from: klaviator on June 06, 2016, 01:31:05 PM
Those KLRs are wicked and will pop power wheelies at the slightest twitch of the hand.  I think you may want to trade it in on something more manageable like a Hayabusa

Ha....my clutch and 2nd gear wish that were true.....I do too, for that matter. 
#clutchlivesdon'tmatter

lazeebum

Dang it! That old powerhouse looks like it would hold some fish. Cool find.
Oh, and sorry about you having to ride alone, but I talked my bride into going to chef Troy's.

kdtrull

Quote from: lazeebum on June 06, 2016, 06:38:26 PM
Dang it! That old powerhouse looks like it would hold some fish. Cool find.
Oh, and sorry about you having to ride alone, but I talked my bride into going to chef Troy's.

I get it, bro....sometimes you gotta' earn a little.
I was thinking the same thing about the fish....fly rod down low....a little Fluke action up top!!!  ;)