News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Allsport Powersports, Decatur

Started by gharshman, June 11, 2016, 04:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merc16

I am considering the KLX over the Honda 250 dual sport. The Honda I like mainly because of the seat. It's not a tiny narrow thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Justin

Hammerdown77

I would not make the decision based on the seat, personally. Not with Seat Concepts having very good, relatively inexpensive seat kits available.

Also, I believe the KLX, at least from the reviews I've read, has a much better suspension front and rear than the standard CRF250. Not sure about the CRF Rally, though.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

klaviator

I don't know that the CRF seat is any better than the one on the KLX.  If it is it isn't by much.  Personally I'd take the KLX over the CRF. 

norton73

I can tell you the seat on my 09 klx is horrible after an hour or so. I've got a seat concepts ready to be installed when I can find the time. From past experience it will be a huge improvement.
Neither Honda 250 has any adjustments on the suspension other than rear preload. The klx has damping adjustments on both ends.
Powerwise they are close, but I have only ridden the crf in stock trim.  My klx has a big bore kit, and the last klx I rode was many years ago and have since forgotten what the stocker is like.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

merc16

Thanks, I look forward to hearing about the seat concepts seat . I have one on my FZ-07. It was a big improvement over the stocker.  Do you think the SC seat is any wider than the stock KLX seat ?

Justin

norton73

Usually, the SC seat is narrow close to the fuel tank, then widens out where your butt would be. I'll try to remember to take a pic of the two seats sometime this week after work.

merc16

Thank you,  that would help !

Justin

Campbell92

Quote from: Nice Goat on February 28, 2018, 08:03:14 PM
Seth told me that one of those Ventures is for test rides.  I might head over there Saturday morning and give it a whirl.
The demo unit is ready to ride. Ive been waiting for a perfect day to ride. Been way too wet and cold here lately. I have ridden the new KLX and it reminded me a lot of my old XT350...TRUST ME THATS A GOOD THING. I was talking to Dean earlier and we are going to try to get our Kawasaki rep Don Outlaw to bring some more units for a demo day. Fingers crossed for the Ninja 400 and the Z900rs in particular.

norton73

Stock seat vs Seat Concepts KLX250 2009

Stock seat is about 5 3/4" just behind the footpegs;

Seat Concepts is almost 9" at the same point;

I'm told the only difference between the 09-14 KLX and the 18 bike is fuel injection vs a carb on the older bike.

The other thing I would consider before purchasing an '18 is the availability of a larger tank, stock is 2 gallons, mine has an IMS 3 gallon, but the fuel injection bike will need a different tank due to the fuel pump and plumbing.

merc16

That is good to hear about the SC seat. So for extra gas, would an alternative be a Rotopax fuel container ? Although I'm not sure if there is a ready made rack to carry it on.

Justin

norton73

I bought this rack. He lists a Rotopax mount for it.

https://www.pmracks.com/products.php?id=16

I also ordered the side racks at the same time.

merc16

Oh yea that rack looks great ! I'm kinda leaning towards that instead of a larger fuel tank. I could be wrong about that.

So are there any issues with the larger IMS tank swelling with the gas we have these days ?

Justin

Gam

Quote from: norton73 on March 09, 2018, 05:32:44 PM
I bought this rack. He lists a Rotopax mount for it.

https://www.pmracks.com/products.php?id=16

I also ordered the side racks at the same time.

They have a one that fits 2006-2007 klx 250's,  I've looked high and low for one to fit my bike.  I'm going to get that with the expansion plate.

norton73

Quote from: merc16 on March 09, 2018, 05:37:04 PM
Oh yea that rack looks great ! I'm kinda leaning towards that instead of a larger fuel tank. I could be wrong about that.

So are there any issues with the larger IMS tank swelling with the gas we have these days ?

The PO said he only ran ethanol free gas, so I don't know about swelling. IMS claims the tank is ethanol compatible. I'm sure I will end up putting regular in it on the road, we'll see.

klaviator

Went for a little ride over to Allsport today.  My official excuse was that I needed an oil filter for my KLR.  Somehow I ended up spending a few hours buying that oil filter ;)

First of all I spent some time talking to Ben, Seth, and Ashley.  Then of course I had to drool over some of the bikes.

The best looking bike in the showroom IMO.

I even fit on it just fine although I do make the bike look small in this picture.  Kawasaki got the styling and ergonomics just right on this bike

I also spent some time sitting on the Xmax.  The more I sat on this scooter the more I liked it.  If I didn't already have 3 scooters this one would be in my garage.  For those of you not familiar, the Xmax is the white one.

Then as I got ready to leave, another friend (Timbo64) showed up and we must have talked another hour.