News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Future Key West/Saddle Sore 1000

Started by Izzy3, August 07, 2016, 07:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzy3

Anyone interested in putting one of these together?  I'm not an Iron Butt member but would like to hit the southern most point and may as well complete an iron butt event on the way to Key West.

Chitza

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Nice Goat

I recommend finishing the Iron Butt before you get to Homestead.  From Key Largo to Key West is 100 miles of traffic, wildlife areas, 35mph speed limits, and uniformed revenuers collecting taxes and handing out awards.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

wweaver11

I agree.   Last time I rode to Key West, we were stopped for hours in Key Largo due to a wreck up the rode.     

Izzy3

All good info.  Finishing before the two lane would be important.  So one could ride to Mobile, buy gas and document the turn then run to Homestead?  Google maps shows 15.5 hours and 1100 miles of all slab from Athens.

Nice Goat

Quote from: Izzy3 on August 08, 2016, 09:16:36 PM
...So one could ride to Mobile, buy gas and document the turn then run to Homestead?...

That was my plan back in April, but we abandoned it because of coastal storms.  We just headed straight for the hotel in Key Largo, and ended up with only 820 miles.  Nobody was bummed though ... It was still worth the trip.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

IceCold4x4

I missed the one last year. But the bike is better sorted now. And I've done a few full day 700 mile trips so the 1000 i think will just be boredom prevention.

Izzy3

Chuck & Susan

Any Idea when you might pull this off? And where would the starting point be? There is a long weekend coming up on labor day.... Just a thought and Yea you have my attention too!!
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

DR650RIDER

I will definitely not miss this one. Wanted to do the last one but had to make a choice. I've done many 600-800 mile solo rides in a day so 1000 mi shouldn't be a problem. I was sorta planning on doing a Key West ride in September but I'll hold out to see how this ride comes along.

Izzy3

I was thinking October myself.  A little further out from hurricane season.  I'm flexible though.

DR650RIDER

October will work for me. I just need 2 weeks notice so I can put in for vacation time.

Chitza

Don't forget Barber vintage festival is Oct 7-8!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Izzy3

Quote from: DR650RIDER on August 12, 2016, 04:53:11 AM
October will work for me. I just need 2 weeks notice so I can put in for vacation time.

So if we went in September, I don't think traveling around Labor Day would be advisable.  What about some time after Labor Day weekend?  An alternate route could be through Chattanooga to Knoxville over to Charlotte then down through Columbia to I-95S and end up for the night in Palm Beach (1099 miles) or we could push it to Ft. Lauderdale (1,152 miles) just to make sure.  That would be 17 hours in the saddle.  Then ride to Key West the next day after we recover.
The other option is south to Mobile then slab to Homestead (1,110 miles and 15.5 hours).  All these are Google Map estimates with Huntsville as the starting point.  I see you are from a couple hours south so we would need to plan a starting point for a suitable route. 
Another option could be Birmingham to Jackson to I-12 to I-10 to Orlando for 1,119 miles in just under 16 hours.  I'm good with any starting point and I don't have any route preference. 

Izzy3

I was thinking only spending one night there and highballing it back to Bama, no iron butt action, but putting some miles down.