News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Future Key West/Saddle Sore 1000

Started by Izzy3, August 07, 2016, 07:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzy3

Quote from: DR650RIDER on August 12, 2016, 04:53:11 AM
October will work for me. I just need 2 weeks notice so I can put in for vacation time.
Are you a Senna or a Cardo man?  I have both.

DR650RIDER

Any route is fine with me but I'd rather not do the Knoxville thing. I ride up there so often it's gotten kinda routine. Any of the other routes would be fine because it would be a little different scenery.

DR650RIDER

DR650RIDER

Are you dead set on joining the IBA and getting a certificate or are you just wanting to do a Key West ride. I'm fine either way, but if you really want the certificate I may as well join and get one too. 

Izzy3

I'm not dead set on the Iron Butt certificate, but always wanted to try.  My main objective is to get to Key West.  I want to complete all four corners of the U.S.

TFancher

Do the Iron Butt. If you've ever thought you wanted to, do it. It's very self gratifying. Something a lot of people talk about, but never do.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Izzy3

Good point.  I'm not getting any greener on the vine!   :o

Any hints for a first timer?

Brian A

Quote from: Izzy3 on August 20, 2016, 07:06:04 PM
Any hints for a first timer?

First question: What is the most miles you have ever ridden in one day and how did it work out for you?

Examples:
If you were dead tired after 500 miles in one day, I'd say pass on trying to do 1,000 in <24 hours.
If you were tired but not totally wasted after 750 miles in one day, well, I'd say you can do it.

Izzy3

800 miles and wanted more.  My bike is set up for all day comfort.

Brian A

Quote from: Izzy3 on August 20, 2016, 09:19:40 PM
800 miles and wanted more.  My bike is set up for all day comfort.

Srsly, you should have no problem.

When I did my official IB 1000<24  get-the-certificate ride, I did exactly zero to "prepare'.
I showed up around 4:30 am in Knoxville (spent the night with a friend nearby), left around 5:00 am and rode 1000 miles in about 22 hours. I think there was 8 of us and we all finished in <24 hours.

My bike was NOT setup for all day comfort. I froze my nads off the last 100 miles. But still, it was not all THAT bad.

My personal opinion (unique to me and other's will vary) plan a smart route, get a decent night's sleep before hand, show up and ride.

specific input:

a) It ain't a race. You can easily manage with avg 100 miles stints and 10-15 min stops. Plus a 1/2 hour break to eat and stretch your legs. Do the math.
b) If you have ridden 800 miles in a day then you are ahead of the game. Otherwise, think about each interval, not the whole thing. One step at a time.

and that's about it.

Seasoned riders already (should) know what works for them. Take that. Apply it.

Show up.
Ride.
HAVE FUN!
Succeed.

Oh yeah, it goes without saying, but I will: Choose your routes and times wisely. Example: Don't hit Atlanta at 5:00 on a Friday. Likely you will not be getting your IB certificate if you do.

Nice Goat

I did mine this past November ... I think I hit Atlanta around 7:00PM on Thursday...

Ride Report:  http://bamarides.com/ride/index.php?topic=539.0
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Izzy3

Nice writeup and looked like a fun ride.

mega1e6

I've done three IBA rides.
A few suggestions:
1st and foremost, make sure have prepared to keep you butt comfortable. Seat, pad, whatever.
Start as early as you can.
Stay on the interstate all the way if possible.
Take all the food and water for the 1000+ part of your ride with you.
Stay in a group.