News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Greenville loop (1/19/2015)

Started by Guidedawg, September 16, 2015, 02:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

I looked on my computer and only see one ride report that I saved.  Although it was one of the least interesting rides, I recall KrisCook enjoyed the imagery, so I'll republish to help populate the thread.

The video section was shot prior to my getting the helmet mount so it is a shaky perch on a bumpy road, but it gives a good feel for the ride.
:)

**************************************************************************************************************************
I had a day off work, so I told Mrs. Guidedawg I was going to get some riding in and decided to use my copy of Motorcycling Alabama to choose a loop in my area that could be accomplished in little enough time to still give me some of the day for other errands.

Loop 38 – Greenville, Fort Deposit, Burnt Corn Ride looked promising for a solo ride to some new areas, so I looked forward to getting out. 

As I put on my cold weather gear (for me that means long johns under jeans, chaps over, and a leather jacket over layers with a full face helmet) I wondered if I would get too warm in the afternoon.  I stepped outside and wiped the frost from my seat; it was 29 degrees so I quit worrying. 

The ride did not start out on a good foot.  I was on I-85 and the fumes of a truck started burning my eyes, then as I approached the I-65 interchange, the visor of my helmet came loose on one side.  I quickly moved into the lane to take me towards the AFB instead and pulled over at McDonalds for repairs.  In this case, that means lining the flat screw up with the hole (slightly stripped) and banging it into place with my hand until it sticks.  I realized I would not be making any visor adjustments on this trip.  While I was stopped, I attempted to use the mitten liners inside my gloves, but I had neither the intelligence nor dexterity to make that work.  My hands were cold, my eyes were watering, and I had a visor that could come flapping by my face on the Interstate at any time.

My wife was at her mothers, the girls were at school, and I had a warm house filled with movies and all sorts of furniture upon which to recline.  Naturally, I decided the day could only get better and I was going riding.  So off I went through some of the less picturesque areas of Montgomery to take 31 south to Greenville.  I turned on Highway 185 to come out at Priester's Pecans fifteen minutes after they opened.  My fingers were screaming like Helen Keller in an argument so I decided to take advantage of the oasis for a few moments to warm up.

After thoroughly thawing, the sun was out and the rest of the day was quite comfortable.  The starting point as suggested in the book was at the next exit south, but I chose to begin at step 2 and save what David Haynes described as twelve miles of "thoroughly enjoyable winding highway" for the conclusion of my loop rather than the beginning.

By the time I was done, I had ridden in Montgomery, Lowndes, Wilcox, Monroe, Conecuh, and Butler counties.  I rode on smooth highways and roads with crotch jarring ruts and potholes.  I saw plantations, historical buildings, farms, trailers, and long abandoned houses.  In other words, it was a bit of what to expect in Central Alabama – lots of pines, almost no traffic, no hills or switchbacks, but an enjoyable ride.

Oh, it was not without a lot of frustration due to mistakes on my part.  I wrote the distance between turns incorrect on one leg and missed my turn, adding extra time and miles.  There was at least one wrong turn on my part where I did not follow the correct road, so the day progressed quickly with me still having a lot of ground to cover.

But so what?  It was me and the motorcycle and other than doubling back on some parts of the route due to my poor navigational skills, it was still a great day out on the road.  The loop itself is advertised as 132 miles, but traveling from Montgomery and my unplanned excursions gave me 300+ by the time I returned home.

Wakefield Plantation

Pine Apple sign

Town Hall

Doctor Watkins sign

Doctor's house

Town of Burnt Corn

church

Coca Cola

Burnt Corn old house

Revolutionary War

Old Fed Rd

Loose gravel

Exxon

*******************************************************************************************************************

I also included this bit of footage on another thread of the old forums.  I wanted it to be an object lesson on distracted driving.
The film starts when I looked down to adjust the camera and ran off the road.  The back tire started to get away from me, but I got back on the pavement just as I scared a doe and before I got to the bridge.

Though as at least one person pointed out - if the deer were going to run out anyway, running off the road may have slowed me down enough to avoid getting hit.

Bluesman

Nice Goat

Thanks for posting the report and photos.  That's a great area for peaceful riding.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."