News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

The Scenic Route Home

Started by kdtrull, September 16, 2015, 08:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdtrull

I need an air filter for my XT.  So, I called Allsport in Decature about 08:59...no answer. 
I was ready to go so I decided to just ride over and look around...maybe they have it...but not likely.  Nobody rides an XT250 = nobody keeps parts for XT250.
Sure enough, they don't have it.  What they do have is my old DR650 still in the inventory and I had to stand there and look at it while I second-guessed my decision to trade....I kind'a miss the extra power....and the DR ain't no powerhouse....so the XT is like riding one of those canyon donkeys by comparison.
Moving on....after some nostalgia I decided to take the scenic route home:

I've ridden Giles county pretty heavily the past year but very little in Lincoln county.  I decided to head that way.  Both have some fantastic scenery and pictures fail to even approach justice for this area.
Mirrors.....they do more niftier stuff than show you what you look like:

I didn't do a very good job capturing the topography of the area but there are some pretty steep hills and hollows.

It's hard to see in the wide angle shots but there is an old house back there....looks like it was quite nice a long time ago:

One of the greatest joys I get from exploring is to come over the crest of a hill and reveal something like this:

Sometimes, there's one right after another:

I guess sometimes it's better to drive under the train than to stop for it (as if you live way out here and don't have the time to wait):

Maybe Vimeo will digest my video in a few minutes.  It's nothing special....just more sights with loosely related sound.

kdtrull

Nice Goat

Quote from: kdtrull on September 16, 2015, 08:58:20 PM
... What they do have is my old DR650 still in the inventory ...

wait... what?  you traded the DR?
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Guidedawg

You seem to have a tendency to take the long way, and also to document it well.

Thanks!

Jwwr

Another great report. Thanks for sharing!

klaviator

Another great Kdtrull ride report.  You certainly know how to find the scenic stuff.

KrisCook

This thread made me happy for the whole day.  Thanks, Kenneth! 
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

kdtrull

Quote from: KrisCook on September 17, 2015, 09:12:13 AM
This thread made me happy for the whole day.  Thanks, Kenneth!

That's what it's all about.
Share Good Things!

Thank you for the kind encouragement!

And thank the rest of yens too.  I just wish we could do more of it together.

kdtrull

Quote from: gharshman on September 16, 2015, 10:48:06 PM

Yes...and I want it back....but I can't have both right now.  Hopefully there'll be a new 350-450 to come out before I get the buy/sell/trade fever again.

What I really want is the XT250 size and shape, with KTM suspension, and a 800 twin powered plant (I hate iPad word prediction)! "powerplant"  Dragons and iPads are So stupid!
Is that too much to ask for?

lazeebum

Quote from: kdtrull on September 17, 2015, 01:14:57 PM

Yes...and I want it back....but I can't have both right now.  Hopefully there'll be a new 350-450 to come out before I get the buy/sell/trade fever again.

What I really want is the XT250 size and shape, with KTM suspension, and a 800 twin powered plant!

Yeah but it would need tractor weights to keep the front wheel on the ground.   ;D 

kdtrull

Quote from: lazeebum on September 17, 2015, 04:43:36 PM
Quote from: kdtrull on September 17, 2015, 01:14:57 PM

What I really want is the XT250 size and shape, with KTM suspension, and a 800 twin powered plant (I hate iPad word prediction)!  "powerplant"  Dragons and iPads are So stupid!

Yeah but it would need tractor weights to keep the front wheel on the ground.   ;D

Yep...you're pickin' up what I'm layin' down, man....groovy.

kdtrull

Now, about that air filter:
I gutted the old one, "welded" (QuickSteel) a screen on the back of it, stuffed it with foam on bottom and fiber on top.
Best of all,  it's all held in place with zip ties.