News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

tagging a bike with no title

Started by alabamatoy, January 28, 2017, 04:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alabamatoy

So I have searched, and found some posts close, but nothing definitive.  I keep hearing that there is a process to get a non-titled bike titled and taggable.  The bike has brake lights, headlight, but no blinkers (I could cobble some together, I suppose) and I want to know if its possible to get the thing legal to ride on the street.

Can anyone point me at how to go about doing this?

kylepeterson

If the motorcycle is >200 cc, you can do it.
Go to the south dakota dmv and download these forms:
-AffidavitForVehicleBoatRegistration
-SDApplicationForMotorVehicleTitle&Registration
-FourWheelAllTerrainVehicleAffidavit

Fill them out, send a bill of sale with the vin filled in,, your phone number, address, that you want to pay by cc once the process is done, and notarize the form that requires it.

They will call you and ask for payment, which your provide, and then you recieve a tag in about 4 days. The title takes a couple of weeks. Once the title is recieved, take the bike to your local tax accessor to transfer to alabama. They will inspect the VIN on the title transfer app vs your frames VIN. Once that magic paper is stamped you get an alabama tag/title.

For old dirt bikes it's a $100 bill, and a months wait total for both the sd title and transfer to al. Your bikes accessed value will reflect in the cost of the tag just like anything would.

Tell your friends , get legal and ride.

Nice Goat

You can send the paperwork to any of the counties in SD.  I sent mine to Pennington County when I did the XR400.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

LRobinson

Quote from: Nice Goat on January 28, 2017, 08:52:10 PM
You can send the paperwork to any of the counties in SD.  I sent mine to Pennington County when I did the XR400.

I don't KNOW that Pennington County is the easiest, but I have used them twice and would recommend them.  Not sure how it could have been easier or the staff more pleasant to work with.   I tagged the XR400 and a KTM 300 2 stroke there. 

alabamatoy

Got the forms, they are kinda hard to locate, but I found them.  Im off and running!

Thanks for the assistance....

KevinB

Don't get too caught up when you decide to transfer the title to Alabama and get the inspection. State law doesn't require turn signals (hand signals allowed), and don't worry about horn, DOT tires, etc. All that will be checked is the VIN.

Mulley

I used the Pennington County office as well. If you have any trouble or questions, just call them. They are awesome and some of the nicest people ever. They are willing to help and they actual want you to get a title.

I just returned from Baja, Mexico and I saw a lot of South Dakota tags on cars and trucks there. All of the gringo expats down there use South Dakota too. I love that state.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

alabamatoy

What are the Tennessee procedures/requirements?  Will Tn title a bike like my WR400?

My Daughter lives in Tn, and Im thinking she could title it, and sell it back to me for $1.  Would that work?  Tn seems to have a lost title process that has no inspection requirement.