News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

TAT on a GS1200

Started by Frank Smith, February 27, 2017, 06:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Smith

Hi, new member here and this is my first post. My off-roading skills are ok but the issue is that I ride a big 1200GS and want to know if anyone who has experience riding the TAT in Tennessee would recommend whether or not I try to ride it on the GS. I have heard that it's mostly forest and dirt roads but I don't know for sure. What is your opinions?  Need some advice if you care to share. Thanks in advance.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

Frank Smith

And by the way I live in New Market.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

jrobinson

Welcome to the forum.  We like intros in the Welcome to Bamarides board, but at least you started with a good post. lol

I haven't ridden the TAT, but I think it will depend on your ability more than the bike's. We have a couple here that will ride single track on a 1000cc + bike. Then there's me that has trouble on asphalt. There is a camp and ride in Talladega  Nat Forest later next month. Most will be fire roads. Come out and join in the fun.

More of the dirt guys will be along soon with a much better answer.

BTW I'm over the mountain from you in Paint Rock Valley.

Frank Smith

Thanks for the advice. I may join the group at the forest next month.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

Fencejumper09

I haven't run the TAT yet but have done loads of research. I think the most difficult part of the Tennessee section is the slippery creek crossings and the mud if the weather is wet.

I think once you get to Mississippi and into Oklahoma, if it rains and you are on a bike larger than a 250 you set up camp and wait for it to dry out!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

klaviator

rtwdoug did the TAT on a Harley with a side car :o

OK, he did skip a few of the tougher sections.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/just-another-tat-ride-report-on-a-harley-dirtbag.910213/

Hammerdown77

So I rode the part of the TAT between Fayetteville and West Point this weekend with a buddy.

I was on a 2016 1200GS, and he was on a 2017 GSA.

We think we did all the offroad sections, but there were a couple of times we noticed the GPS had routed us off the tracks my buddy downloaded, so we may have missed some.

There were three water crossings. Two were actual creek water crossings, one was like a concrete bridge with about a foot, foot and a half of water over it.

The creek crossings were my first real water crossings. The second one was fairly deep, at least deep enough to have water go into the top of my boots.

Made it across all ok without going for a swim. This was not due to my skill, of which I have little offroad. I credit some really good electronics in Enduro mode on the GS. Just pointed it toward the other shore, stayed in the throttle, and tried to let the front wheel do its thing.

I don't know what the section remaining section to Corinth is like. May be harder. The offroad portions were not bad for us novices. The road portions were really great. Lots of curvy, hilly back roads with almost no traffic. Gorgeous scenery.

I will say, if it were muddier, or those creeks were higher, we may have been in trouble. Neither of us were running 50/50 tires. I have Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs, and he had Anakee IIIs. Basically road tires.

Anyone else know what the remaining section to Corinth is like?
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom