News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Balancing stand for new BMW GS rear wheel?

Started by Hammerdown77, March 06, 2017, 12:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammerdown77

Had some new tires put on my 2016 R1200 GS the other day at a non-BMW shop, and they had a hard time with the rear wheel due to not having the appropriate adapter for their balancing machine. Tried Dyna Beads first, had some vibration above 55-60, took the beads out and then did a best guess with weights. Used about the same amount in same location as from the factory, plus another four 1/4oz weights. Seems to be ok, but they recommended checking it at a shop that could do BMW wheels when I get a chance.

Thought someone in the Huntsville or Madison areas might have something like this in their garage, just a static balancer setup. I'm curious to check where it is now.

I can pay you in beer if desired  ;D
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

kylepeterson

tie a strong string to a decent sized washer...
thread it through the hub where the axel usually goes...
hang that from the rafters...
tape wheel weights to the rim until it balances flat..

clean the wheel with alcohol and stick the weights on.

balancing doesn't have to be complicated or difficult, i usually balance mine on the bike after installing new tires, but before the chain is on or the brake pads pressed back against the rotors.

for bigger or oddly shaped hubs, the string works fine.

if you can't get close at first, drop the wheels hub over a toilet bowl plunger, it will get you close enough to start the string thing.

klaviator

Quote from: kylepeterson on March 07, 2017, 12:18:41 PM
tie a strong string to a decent sized washer...
thread it through the hub where the axel usually goes...
hang that from the rafters...
tape wheel weights to the rim until it balances flat..

clean the wheel with alcohol and stick the weights on.

balancing doesn't have to be complicated or difficult, i usually balance mine on the bike after installing new tires, but before the chain is on or the brake pads pressed back against the rotors.

for bigger or oddly shaped hubs, the string works fine.

if you can't get close at first, drop the wheels hub over a toilet bowl plunger, it will get you close enough to start the string thing.

I don't think this will work on a Rear GS wheel because there is no hole for the rear axle.  It is single sided and is held on by several bolts. 

norton73

I've got a static balancer stand and a BMW adapter that fits wheels up to the R1150GS. I don't know if the bolt hole pattern has changed on the 1200s.
I am way south however, in Springville.
Loose nut holding the handlebars