News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Bought a 78 XS750

Started by Campbell92, March 23, 2017, 12:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Campbell92

Just recently picked up a 78 xs750 with only 33,000 miles on the odometer (pretty low I must say). Really strong engine (compared to the xt600). Ugly as sin though....well in some aspects. At the moment I have painted the bike like I stole it. Flat black. I hear it drives the girls wild...and hides the blemishes till you can afford a real paint job.

Right now I am wanting a new seat. One that doesnt resemble my grandmothers old lazy-boy recliner. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. I am a recovering college student so the funds are tight at the moment. I want it to look good but I am not wanting to spend a fortune.

I am also looking for some bars. There are some lower profile Renthal bars on the bike currently. I bought some bike master clubman bars but of course they did not fit the way I was wanting. I really want to carry out a cafe style bike (I am a Millennial, but not your average joe hipster). I have always like the older bikes. I am not opposed to a flat bar or even clip ons.

I purchased the bike to learn just some simple mechanics as well as learn a little about myself and see what I can do. If you can offer any pointers or point me to past or present xs750 owners that would be awesome. (Or even someone that can make a seat out of an existing seat pan) As of now I will enjoy having not just 1, but now 2 Yamahas in my garage.

klaviator

I know you want to replace the seat but the stock seat looks OK to me.  I think that the seats from the bikes of that era where actually much better than most of the seats found on modern bikes which tend to be compromised in the interest of styling. 

Of course I am going by your picture.  Maybe it looks different when viewed in person.  At any rate, good luck getting it fixed up the way you like.   

polarissalesman

Quote from: klaviator on March 23, 2017, 02:26:25 PM
I know you want to replace the seat but the stock seat looks OK to me.  I think that the seats from the bikes of that era where actually much better than most of the seats found on modern bikes which tend to be compromised in the interest of styling.

Win I agree...case in point new Yamaha dirt bike seats are as hard as a 2x4 ...but they LOOK good...
"keep the rubber side down"

Brian A

Quote from: klaviator on March 23, 2017, 02:26:25 PM

Of course I am going by your picture.  Maybe it looks different when viewed in person.  At any rate, good luck getting it fixed up the way you like.

Agree. My '84 Nighthawk S has one of the most comfortable motorcycle seats I have ever experienced.

Heck, if funds are tight, just get that seat recovered and ride on it. Doesn't look all that bad to me.

Campbell92

I may keep the stock and go with a universal or something that will work without cutting a quarter of the bike off. The only welding I can do at the moment is JB.