News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

AdvRider Old's Kool Rally and Vintage Meltdown 2017

Started by norton73, May 01, 2017, 09:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton73

Took a three day weekend to head up to NC for the Old's Kool Rally and the Vintage Meltdown. Camped at the http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/ with the Adv guys Friday and Saturday nights.
The Camp ground is owned by Phil and Leslie from Gadsden. They have a great resturant on site that serves Brewakfast and dinners on the weekends.

Rode up Friday, left the house about 9:30, slabed up to 211 where I picked up the Lookout Mtn Parkway to Little River Canyon. From there I went to Menlo GA and up 337 to Lafyette and took 136 east. At 411 I went north to 76 over to Ellijay. 76 was a mistake, would have been a fun road, but it must have been the road everyone from Chatsworth uses to haul their boats over to Ellijay.
I then took 515/76 to 60 then to Murphy NC where I took 64 east almost to Franklin. I went north on Wayah Road to the Nantahala Gorge.

After riding through the gorge, I stopped in Bryson City for a drink and a snack.
from there I headed east to Waynesville, where I stopped for gas and camping supplies (beer) and then up 276 to the campground.

Around the campfire, plans were made to leave at 9:30 to head over the the Greenhouse Moto Cafe for lunch, and then go to the Meltdown.

I got up 8ish, ate, checked the bike over, then went over to see how the plan was working out. It was changed to 10, then 10:30.

We finally pulled out shortly after 10:30

Got to the Cafe where there was a swap meet going on.

http://greenhousemotocafe.blogspot.com/

Raffle bike;

a couple barn finds at the swap meet;

Car for sale;

Loose nut holding the handlebars

norton73

norton73

one of the more interesting bikes was this Moto Guzzi. Not what i would build or own, but had some interesting details and showed some thought.

Cable operated front brake master cylinder;

The resevoir cap was a small piston,

Rigid rear;

Fuel level guage

norton73

Next to one of the vendors was this car;

Most interesting was the aftermarket A/C;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_cooler

Art on the corner;

This guy and his dog was leaving;

Kid's pram. Front wheels are steered by the T handle in the back;

norton73

norton73

once again, as they got ready to do the raffle for a 71 Triumph at the end of the show, the heavens opened up and the crowd got drenched. Fortunately, unlike last year, it was just a shower and didn't last long. A couple of us drank another beer before heading back to camp.
BBQ was on the menu and, as usual, it was very good with excellent deserts.
Then an evening spent BSing around the fire while various brands of tequila were compared and contrasted.

A great biscut and gravy in the morning and I headed up 276 to the Parkway. Once up there, it was foggy and hard to see through misted over visor and glasses. I intended to get off at 215 and head to 64 and Highlands.
A couple miles into the Parkway, and I came around a bend and there was someone sitting on the roadside. At first I thought it was a hiker, but as I passed, I realized he was sitting on a motorcycle top box.
I turned around, and as I approached, I could see a muddy skid mark in the grass headed over the edge of the road. His bike was 40-50 feet down, with a trail of saddlebags and camping gear leading down to it. I asked lf he was OK, and he said the only thing hurt was his pride. He said the rangers had been contacted and a wrecker was on the way. I stayed with him a few more minutes just to make sure he really was OK, looked like shock might set in. After a few more minutes, the rangers showed up, so I left him in their hands.

Got on 215, then west on 64 to Highlands. in Highlands, it was dark to the south. Before I had left the campground, I had been told bad weather was coming in, and might include tornados. I decided to stay on 64 to Franklin and then to Murphy in the interest of making time.
At Murphy, I headed south to Blue Ridge, then at Ellijay I caught 382 to 136, to Lafyette, then 337 to Menlo and then 275 to Leesburg where I picked up 411 and then 59.
As i continued, I could see it getting darker and darker, finally at Steele, I hit the first drops and put on my liners and headed home in a downpour.

springer

I need to make it to ones of those ADVrider rallies some day and hopefully meet a few of those FF's.  :)

Well, except Gary :) :)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Nice Goat

Nice job, Andy.  I also hope to make it to one of these events someday...
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

norton73

Guidedawg

Thanks for the report and pics, and of course for checking on your fellow rider.