News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Anyone else have the new Yamaha FJ-9? Thoughts?

Started by Freebooter, September 19, 2015, 11:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freebooter

Anyone else here have the new Yamaha FJ-9? What are your thoughts on it? Pros and Cons? I love it as far as power, speed, handling, etc. But aside from wishing my windshield was just a couple of inches wider and taller, my seat hurts my ass after a few miles. Abt 60 miles I have to get off and rest my ol' rear end. The seat has what, perhaps 1 1/2' of padding over a hard plastic frame? And it slopes slightly so that it forces you towards the tank, your underwear, etc, get all squenched up, etc and you more or less sit on your "taint". It is a tad better now that I have had the bike since May. But still bothers me a bit. I might invest in a good seat cover.
FB

springer

Seat Concepts. $159.99 for the front seat, you install it. Or you can ship your seat to them and they will install it for a fee.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products#!/Yamaha-FJ-09/p/50029003

I have one on a 2003 Honda XR650L. Love it.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

catang5oh

2nd that. Seat concepts on my Tenere, liking it a lot.

I have the air stapler to install it if you go this route,

Mulley

I have a Seat Concepts on My DRZ. I bought a second seat off ebay. Had it shipped directly to Seat Concepts and he installed the cover for $20.

I'm a big boy and it's held up well for me. Although I would get the firm option if I was to do it again. I don't think it was available back then. He was still building them in his garage when I bought mine.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Jwwr

I have the Seat Concepts on my Yamaha WR250R. I can do 3-4 hours no problem, not bad for a dual sport (stock seat was less than a hour and it was uncomfortable) . It's much better than the Corbin I installed on my ninja 300, and cheaper too!

Jwwr

How do you like the Fj-09 at highway speeds? Is it buzzy at all? Would it handle dirt roads?

ThumperTriple

I have the Corbin seat on my FJ..did 440 miles on Saturday and I rode 100 more the next day. Wouldn't have been able to do that on the old one!

Nice looking, took a long time (4 weeks) to get in.  I really like the way it cups up - nice when you wring out the throttle and the front wheel skips above the ground with the TCS light flashing.  I'm pretty heavy so I think that unsettles the suspension now and then.  The handling feels razor sharp, coming from a KLR.

The acceleration is just awesome. Epic.

I'm tall, so I had to settle on a different windscreen, the stock one put the air in my chest, even set all the way up. With the new seat and the windshield, I'm ecstatic with this bike. It excites me every time I walk towards it. 

I've ridden it on a dirt road - you can do it if you need to, but you're not going to seek out dirt roads on it. It's an upright naked/sport tourer crossover.

The interstate is fine, but so boring. Too much buffeting with the stock windscreen too.  (An Arai helmet helped this alot though).  The handling and acceleration will make you seek out the back way to your destination!

Freebooter

I did not know there was an alternative windscreen for it? Mine handles just fine, plenty of torque and quick speed when needed. I have been on dirt roads but don't like it. I laid it down in my own yard on some grass and loose dirt. It feels squirrely on a dirt road and I am scared of them.