News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Photo Bucket users beware.

Started by klaviator, July 01, 2017, 08:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I just saw this morning that some photobucket users have had the links to their pictures cut and are being asked to upgrade to a $399 per year account :o  I use photobucket and so far that hasn't happened to me but I am looking at other options for the future.  The problem is that I have around 8800 pics on photobucket and many of them are in my numerous ride reports.  Transferring them would be a huge job.  I wish I had gone with Smugmug when I first started posting pics but........it's a little late now.

Nice Goat

They won't permit hotlinking images unless you sign up for the expensive plan, so I deleted my account.  They can go eat a bag of dicks, for all I care.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

kdtrull

Quote from: Nice Goat on July 02, 2017, 01:35:22 PM
They won't permit hotlinking images unless you sign up for the expensive plan, so I deleted my account.  They can go eat a bag of dicks, for all I care.

That's why I've been screwing around with Google all morning....that and it makes being stuck at work go by a lot faster.  :P

Chuck & Susan

Susan uses TapaTalk on her Phone. But I with a flip phone load pics to my Outlook One Drive and link them from there. I pay 20 bucks a year for E-mail and all the extras like cloud storage. And if I ever have an E-mail issue I can get support with a payed account. Just a thought.
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

springer

NO hot-linking?

CRAP. I just posted a picture in the rides section that showed my destination. It is the key to the puzzle game. The picture shows up when I checked it on my computer.

How about the rest of y'all? Here is the link to the ride report;

http://bamarides.com/ride/index.php?topic=1927.0 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Chuck & Susan

It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Brian A

Nice Goat

I had thousands of pictures accumulated over the last five years ... probably 90% of them linked into ride reports and other threads.  Maybe PB decided that I was using too much bandwidth, but now I cannot get my old PB links to work unless I fork over $40 per month.  Screw that.

I stopped using PB over a year ago, however, and started using SmugMug.  No compression damage to my photos and very easy to link images to forums.  There is an annual subscription, but it is nowhere near PB's $400 extortion attempt.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KevinB

I've been using PBase.com for about 15 years or so...never had any issues, costs @$23/year.

springer

Quote from: Nice Goat on July 02, 2017, 07:49:42 PM
I had thousands of pictures accumulated over the last five years ... probably 90% of them linked into ride reports and other threads.  Maybe PB decided that I was using too much bandwidth, but now I cannot get my old PB links to work unless I fork over $40 per month.  Screw that.

I stopped using PB over a year ago, however, and started using SmugMug.  No compression damage to my photos and very easy to link images to forums.  There is an annual subscription, but it is nowhere near PB's $400 extortion attempt.
Yea, I am going to Smugmug. Baldy sold it to his son and his son still uses part of the product to support ADVRider.

That is what I have heard anyway...
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

springer

Quote from: KevinB on July 02, 2017, 08:01:15 PM
I've been using PBase.com for about 15 years or so...never had any issues, costs @$23/year.
What is PBase?

springer

klaviator

Some related articles:

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

http://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet

My images are still linked.  I think maybe that they have cut the links from those people who were using PB for free.  I'm guessing that those with pay accounts may be OK until their subscription is up for renewal. I doubt many people will be willing to pay $399 per year.  If PB doesn't change what they are doing quickly they will soon go out of business.  I will be switching to SmugMug but I hate to lose all the thousands of linked pics I have in all my ride reports. 

springer

Get in touch with Smugmug and ask them how to transfer your images over.  ;)

That is what I will be doing shortly.

kdtrull

The google experiment seems to be hit-n-miss. Not sure why. JR?