What is the Purpose of a Horn on a Motorcycle?

Started by dredman, October 02, 2017, 09:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dredman

After a discussion this weekend about the etiquette of using horns, I flashed back to all the conversations I have had over the years about the proper use/abuse of a vehicle horn.  From what I recall over the years, I believe there are two basic schools of belief:

1. Those that believe that horns are used to get someone's attention (Practical School)
2. Those that believe horns are rude (Petulant School)

Folks from the Petulant School (P.S. 149) believe it rude to honk your horn, not matter the reason.  They feel bad when they hear a honk, and crumble or come apart when honked AT.  Horns, in their opinion, are vestigial organs left over from olden days when bulb horns were cute, and sounded like a goose.  The Victorian age when, gentlemen tipped their hats and gave a honk when passing a neighbor.  A joyous time when there were no traffic lights, pedestrians, distracted drivers, or even cell phones. 

Graduates of the Practical School believe that horns are there for a reason - to get people's attention.  No, not the attention that loud pipes get, the other kind.  A bump of the horn can quickly indicate "Hey, I am in the lane you are moving into!", or "Hey, the light is green! Put your phone down and get out of my way!", or my personal favorite "Hey, I have the right of way and you are about to kill me!"  Many would enjoy a powerful airhorn, that would effectively blow drivers out of their path.

When it comes to riders who fear offending others with a horn, they may be a dying breed.  Literally dying, as they are crushed on the highway or maimed at intersections.  This looks like a case of survival of the fittest?

I guess I should try to understand the feelings of P.S. 149 grads, because feelings are the major concern.  Don't offend, don't hurt feelings, don't be unpleasant.  Be kind, rewind.  Take your licks in silence, and cross your fingers they do not come back and roll over you a second time.   My lack of sensitivity prevents me from understanding or sharing their insights, so maybe someone with sensitivity can help me?  What am I missing?   :thinking-022:

norton73

A horn is the prelude to a single finger salute
Loose nut holding the handlebars

bblass

I've found the method of two quick honks followed by a thumbs down gesture :thumb-down-012: to be far more effective.

People get mad when you give them the finger. People look like a dog caught eating your shoes when you give them the thumbs down...
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

IceCold4x4

I mainly love using my horn to annoy those we ride with as the sena picks it up very clearly... Ben David y'all agree?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bblass

yeah, you and John are undeniably annoying when you do that...
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

dredman

Four wheels, six wheels, or two, I am an advocate for the Idiot Alarm, and think it should be used with great frequency.  Not like in New York, where it is used as tantrum device - a baby rattle for folks that HATE living and driving in a big city.

2 bumps - a polite message "wake up, you are blocking traffic!"
1 long blast - "you almost killed me!"
1 medium blast - 1 long blast that is interrupted by arms flailing as in "WTF DUDE?"

If you get the finger from me, you should beware.  We might be throwin down!