News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Koplin fuel can

Started by Crandon, July 21, 2017, 05:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crandon

Here in Alaska I have noticed that it seems one of the accessories added to the bikes are extra fuel cans.  The safest looking one so far is the Koplin fuel can and mounting bracket.  Has anyone had experience with this brand?  I have looked at adding either another fuel tank or extra fuel in cans for an "Iron Butt" ride.

Chitza

Wait. What??? You're in Alaska?? And yes. Extra fuel. Necessity. Unless you ride a BMW F650cs :D
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Crandon

Yep, Alaska.  Here working but will be back in Alabama next weekend. 

KevinB

No experience with it, but Rotopax is another popular moto fuel pack.

https://rotopax.com/

Crandon

I am in Delta Junction but heading out to rent a bike and head to Chicken, Alaska.  The guys here was telling me that I needed to get out and do something when I got some free time.  Well I knew that y'all had mentioned several interesting places in your ride reports last year so I went back and reread them and low and behold Chicken is only a couple of hundred miles down the road.

I will have to check and see which is easier to mount RotopaX or Koplin, they appear to be almost just like each other.

Chitza

I carried two MSR bottles. Never filled them up. I have a 250+ range, though. My fuel light never even came on the whole trip. Be sure to check closing times of stations where you are traveling. It may be daylight, but they don't stay open late. The guys only had two close calls. One on the Denali Hwy and when they went to the Arctic Circle. I think their range was around 140miles.

TFancher

Quote from: Chitza on July 21, 2017, 06:47:05 PM
I carried two MSR bottles. Never filled them up. I have a 1250+ range, though. My fuel light never even came on the whole trip.

Fixed it for you.

If you get a bike with a 200 mile range you should be fine. Just DO NOT pass a gas station that is open. Even if you only have 50-60 miles on your tank. It's scarce in places up there.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Chitza

Just an FYI, the Taylor Hwy/Hwy 5 into Chicken is a dirt road. You should be fine. My bike made it with no pucker moments. Depending on what bike you rent, it should be a piece of cake. Unless it's raining. Oh, wait! It's Alaska in July! Of course it's raining!!

Just watch for the big RVs trying to negotiate the road.

Al Goodwin

If your passport is handy, ride into Dawson.......

Crandon

Plans to ride fell threw because work schedule changed at the last minute.  Will be back up here in October or November, will have a bike on stand-by for my next trip.  Was able to make a trip to Tok to pick up materials for work, beautiful country up that way.