News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Africa Twin mods n stuff

Started by springer, August 12, 2017, 06:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

Plan on posting all my mods n stuff that I do to my 2017 Africa Twin here.
I have all ready installed the AltRider skid plate, centerstand skid plate, and lower crash bars.
The radiator guards that come on the Twin are just plastic so a rock, a stick, or anything else hitting the radiator could cause a really bad day. So I installed a set of the AltRider aluminum guards. They fit over the plastic guards that come from the factory.

That took longer than I planned due to the fact than when you remove the factory bolts the radiators slip down a bit. They are a real pain to line back up.  :-X

Next up was doing something to the front fender. It sits way to low and way to close to the front tire as you can see in the pictures;

AltRider makes a kit that raises the fender about an inch.

Now I should be able to fit a set of nobbies on the rear AND the front.  ;)

The factory skid plate is small and made out of really thin aluminum.

This is the AltRider skid plate and the lower crash bars;

The skid plate for the centerstand;

The factory tires that came with the bike are about gone. A set of nobbies will be next.  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Fencejumper09

Those are looking like some great mods for longevity!

Can't wait to ride with you off-road!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

springer

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on August 17, 2017, 08:59:15 AM
Those are looking like some great mods for longevity!

Can't wait to ride with you off-road!!

Don't know if you can call it riding with me or not. I spend what feels like most of my time picking my bike back up off the ground.  ;) The other day I picked it up only to dump it on the other side.  :D

Wanted to "even out" the dirt on both sides..........yea, that was it.  ;D ;D
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Fencejumper09

Sounds like it will be a good ride to bring the GoPro!!  ;D
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

springer

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on August 17, 2017, 10:50:07 AM
Sounds like it will be a good ride to bring the GoPro!!  ;D
You could title it the "I pick things up, I put them down" video. :)

springer

A mod to protects the levers and stuff on the bars;

The stock stuff was just plastic deflectors. The BarkBusters are a little more "drop worthy".  ;)

springer

Okay, back on subject...........
First casualty of my "riding style" "drops a lot".  :)

Dropped it only once yesterday but it was a hard drop. Going around a corner full of loose dirt-n-rocks.

The plastic hard Honda cases survived a bunch of drops in mud but the first drop in hard dirt.......not so much.

Lesson learned? Ether buy aluminum side bags, or  tough soft side bags or learn not to drop your damn bike.  ???

I think I will go with option 1. or option 2...................I haven't figured out how to do option 3 in 43 years of riding.........so I sorta doubt I will figure that out in the years I have left.  :P

norton73

A couple thoughts on bags...

If you are just riding dirt locally, ditch the bags and use a tank bag and a tail bag to carry anything you might need.

If you are planning an overnight, use soft bags.

Use the hard bags for commuting to work, grocery shopping, around town stuff.

I have hard bags for my GS, if you have to put a foot down (dab) you can get your leg between the bag and ground and break an ankle, lower leg, etc.

I use a set of soft bags if I am camping and doing off road, I use the hard bags for shopping, and riding to tellico plains, then remove them to ride trails.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

springer

Good advice but..... ;) I drop the damn thing SO much the bags;
1. Help protect the bike.  :)
2. Help me to lift the damn thing on the 3rd, fourth, fifth,  etc  drop. ;D

Remember, I do not do dirt rides..........I do " I drop it and I pick it up" rides.

springer

Finally the bike is "nobbielishis". ;)

Front and rear;

Nice Goat

Quote from: springer on September 06, 2017, 05:57:53 PM

Nice!  Can you see the side view of the whole bike, i.e., a profile shot?  I bet it's sexy...
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

springer

Quote from: Nice Goat on September 06, 2017, 06:08:02 PM
Quote from: springer on September 06, 2017, 05:57:53 PM

Nice!  Can you see the side view of the whole bike, i.e., a profile shot?  I bet it's sexy...

Not sure about sexy...maybe a little muddy.  ;)

Did better out there but I still sux.  ;D

Some things will never change.  :o

springer

BTW, If y'all haven't watched this guys videos, do.

Funny

Encouraging

Helpful.

springer

Today's mods to the bike...new foot pegs!  :DANCING-banana-032:

The stock foot pegs came with rubber inserts that I quickly removed. That left the grippiy part, that was good. My feet wouldn't slide off if the pegs or my boots got some mud on them. The problem was when I stood-up on the pegs. The stock ones are to narrow for my taste.

Stock foot pegs;

I have heard about Pivitpegs from YouTube videos. Then I saw that Yamahammer put a set on the Tenere he bought. He likes them so that is good enough for me.  :respect-048: I bought a set. The picture below shows how much wider they are than stock;

Swapping the stock pegs for the Pivitpegs was pretty simple. Remove the stock cotter pin from the pivit thingy, drive the pivit thingy out from the stock pegs, replace with the Pivitpeg reusing the stock spring, and use the provided cottor pin from the Pivitpegs kit.

Picture of the Pivitpegs installed on the Africa Twin;

Feels better standing on the bike now. We will see how they feel when riding when I install my rear tire tomorrow.