News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Going under the Knife

Started by jrobinson, August 24, 2017, 11:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrobinson

Crankcase breather valve. This sets on top of the head.

disassembled

New parts

Valve train bolted back in place.

Pushrod tube clips and valve covers back in place, with a little polish work.

dredman

Nice detail!

another 200,000 miles or 2 years?

LawnmowerRG

Well done Johnny
Good write up.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

renchinrider

Looks like you got to those tensioners just in time, Johnny!  Great coverage of your restoration!  I look forward to many more (hundreds of thousands of) miles with you now that your bike is refreshed! 8)
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

Chitza

It's a Robinson Harley. Those tensioners would have lasted another 50,000 miles 8)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Chuck A.

Polished?! on the bike??!! It will never run right ever again Johnny 😜
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

jrobinson

Got everything buttoned up last Sunday. (pics still in camera, camera still in shop) Fired it up and putted around the yard. No clicking, no whining. Rode up the drive and looked for any oil leaks. Everything good.  Get my helmet and head back down to the road. I head north on 65 and feeling pretty good. Back on the bike and the engine is purring along.
About 2 miles the oil light comes on. A quick check of the gauge and it's showing 40lbs of pressure. No lifter noise. I've got to have pressure, but why is the light on? I make a u-turn and head back to the house. Sandy has supper ready, so I'll park it for the day.

While eating, I'm searching the web. No luck on finding showing oil pressure on gauge and oil light on. I walk down to shop and retrieve my FSM. I search through the wiring diagrams and only see one sending unit, but two wires come off the unit. One goes to the light and the other to the gauge.

I remember a couple wires under the frame near the bolt for the floorboards. I thought I had moved the wires enough to clear the bolt. Last night I looked closer and found the wire pinched under the washer on the bolt. I removed the bolt, pulled the wire out of the loom, and repaired the wire.

Fire it up, the oil light goes off and the gauge is reading 40 lbs of pressure. Life is good. Rode to work today and will be heading to Leeds on Saturday.  :bike-038:   

dredman

Nothing scarier than an oil light.

Good to hear there will be at least one BIG machine there Saturday........when others show up saying it can't be done :)