News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Photo Hosting

Started by dredman, September 18, 2017, 05:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dredman

Guidedawg

When I said flickr was easy, I failed to mention having to delete all the annotative crap they put in, but I suppose you discovered that.

dredman

Looks like Flickr is once again the best option for photo hosting?

any big drawbacks?

want to do a tutorial?

yamahamer

I still use Facebook.  :lol-049:

norton73

I use smug mug, been working great for me for years.
Yeah, I know it's not free, so it's not an option for the cheapskates among us.
I started using it because the owner also owned and started Advrider, so felt I should support it.
But, if you want to sign up, I can provide a discount coupon.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

klaviator

Quote from: yamahamer on September 19, 2017, 09:09:03 AM
I still use Facebook.  :lol-049:

My experience with using facebook to post pics is that the links expire after some time.  So it's convenient and free but your pic will disappear at some time.  I haven't figured out how long that is.

klaviator

Quote from: norton73 on September 19, 2017, 09:51:55 AM
I use smug mug, been working great for me for years.
Yeah, I know it's not free, so it's not an option for the cheapskates among us.
I started using it because the owner also owned and started Advrider, so felt I should support it.
But, if you want to sign up, I can provide a discount coupon.

I'm using Smugmug now too.  It's not that expensive.  When I used Photobucket it wasn't free either and I find Smugmug works much better.  My photobucket pics are still working but that should change next month when my current contract expires and they ask for 400 bucks.

dredman

Started this thread in testing, to see the latest, now that  it has turned into a discussion, I thought we might continue?

I stopped using Flickr years ago once they changed policy on linking, and made it very difficult to post.  For years I have been using Google photos succesfully, but now they have made it almost impossible to decipher a linking strategy, which is sad because all my phone pics are auto-uploaded, and ready to review?

It would be REALLY nice if we could find one, solid solution, that was easy for everyone without a Masters in Software Engineering to upload and post pics.  I am looking.  Not at Facebook, but I AM looking  :sleep-010:

The ONLY reason we are using TurdaTalk is the ease of uploading pics, and if anything ever pops up to compete with them we will switch over.

Anyone know of any other options we have to ease the hassle of posting pics?

klaviator

I'm pretty happy with SmugMug but then I post all my pics using my PC.  I know that a lot of people do stuff from their phone and I'm not  sure SmugMug would be convenient for posting from a phone.

I went to a Bike Night on Saturday and the topic of facebook came up.  It seems that most people hate facebook but they use it because it's so easy to post pics.  If we could find a way to make it as easy to post pics on BR as it is on FB, we could probably get some of the clubs out there who use FB to get on BR. 

I have no solution as using a PC is what I prefer anyway but many people are hooked on their phones.

dredman

Never been a big fan of Facebook, but that is not why I hated it for Bama Rides.  We actually banned FB links years ago because it was causing 3x as many problems as solutions.  The most common issue was permissions - if your page or content, or that which you were linking required a login, then everyone NOT logged in, or friended, got a dead link.  Requiring a login, or status(being a friend) is simply a nonstarter.  Much like Photobucket is causing problems now - dead links.  If TapaTurd required viewers to be running TipaTurd, we would not be using it.

If we continue to see dead links on photobucket we may have to do the old Facebook redirect  :idea-013:

With that said, I am open to anything that does not cause more problems than solutions.

KevinB

I started an account on www.PBase.com about 15 years ago. Cost is @$23/year for me ($$ depends on space used)...I've never had any technical issues whatsoever.

I'm pretty much a caveman when it comes to using a computer, but I don't have any problems using the site, posting pics from my albums to forums or uploading pics to their site using their app on my phone. It's proven to be 100% idiot-proof so far.

Fencejumper09

I am a new user of SmugMug and it is great so far! It is so easy to use!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Nice Goat

This was in my e-mail today ... SmugMug has acquired Flickr

QuoteSmugMug + Flickr together at last.

Hello,

We are thrilled to announce that SmugMug has acquired Flickr. We couldn't be more excited to unite two brands that share the same mission, passions, and values.

In a way, our communities existed long before our brands were established. Photographers have always found ways to connect with one another to share their passion, work, and inspiration. Both SmugMug and Flickr were born from a passion for photography and a mission to support the community we were already a part of.

For 15 years SmugMug has built products that reflect exactly what we believe: that photography is the global language of storytelling. Flickr is the other side of the same coin. Since 2004, they've established themselves as a home where photographers can go to inspire and be inspired, to share, learn, meet new friends, and share a piece of the soul that unites us all: storytelling.

Together we are home to the creators, the shutter pressers, the doers and makers. We're home to you. Home is where you can hang your hat and kick up your feet. It's also where you can go to work on your passion. Relax. Reload. Refine. Bring your authentic self. Dare to risk and grow.

Join us.

Learn more about the acquisition and our future together.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Bama_Rider

I was hosting my pictures myself on the website space I got from my ISP.   Since I moved south I no longer have FTP access to it.  I can still see it and link to it but I can't add to it.  I was thinking about putting up a basic site somewhere just so I can host my own stuff again when my research led me to this little web app.  I tested it and it works great.  You go to your Google drive (if you have an Android phone you are backing you photos up to this, right)  Find the picture you want to put in a post.  You get the shareable link which lets people down load the pic but doesn't show it on the post, you past it into the web form and click the generate code button.  Presto, you know have a link you can cut and past into your post that will show your photo. ( You still have to use the image button to enclose it with the img /img pair)

https://ctrlq.org/google/photos/

ctag

Probably the aftermath of the Flickr acquisition listed before. Flickr is about to delete a lot of users' photos:

QuoteFree accounts will soon be limited to 1,000 photos or videos. Flickr isn't Flickr without the contributions and participation of our free members, and we remain committed to a vibrant, free offering.

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos