News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Planning a New Ride - Cheaha

Started by dredman, September 26, 2017, 07:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dredman

Talked to Ben the other day about the next "big" ride I would like to do, and I mentioned Cheaha.  Why Cheaha?  Well it is relatively close and doable, and if you know the right routes/roads, there is some pretty spectacular riding.  This thread is directed towards gauging interest and planning something that would be interesting for the most amount of people that want to get out, and either try something new, or find out what I think is interesting.

So let me throw out a few ideas, and get some responses - either:
- that sounds like fun
or
- I have considered doing ____ because I always enjoy that, or I have always wanted to do _____

So a few components that interest me:
Ridge riding - Cheaha has some spectacular roads that run the ridge with great views and a few challenges
Ridge camping - that is a key component, I like hanging out in wilderness, especially on the side of a mountain
Ride 'n Camp - just being able to ride all day, and chill at night without having to bust ass back home
Skill Building - (optional) but can be an interesting component, if we run into something difficult, maybe someone can demo a technique to help us learn something new (think - brief dirt gymkhana) because we can always learn new techniques - unless we get a pro that does all the teaching?
Camp Craft - anything that you know/want to share, or want to learn - I imagine anyone joining this ride would like to learn something new?  Luggage, tents/hammocks/gear, any cool gadgets etc.

So this would be a ride AND a field trip/expedition.

Time frame is VERY flexible - (not to interfere with Nowhere to be ride)
I would like to keep this small (<8 riders, preference going to ride/campers)

Ideas? :eating-popcorn-03:

Fencejumper09

This sounds like a fun ride! I have ridden the main FS roads from Sylacauga to Jacksonville but haven't done too much exploring off of them.

Hopefully the weather in November is similar to last year as I don't have a good way to carry cold weather camping gear!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

bblass

Mark me down for one of the spots. Preferably October 21st but can make the schedule work based on the needs of the group.

A dual sport clinic sounds especially enticing. What do you say we go one step further and whoever drops their bike the most buys the first round?

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

dredman

Well it sounds like 3 spots so far [3/8]
October 21 sounds good to me - maybe we can beat the first cold snap that usually hits at the end of the month? 

I like the idea of dropping and buying, but maybe we should reverse it?  Whoever drops the most gets their rounds bought?  Just scheming here  :lol-049:

Maybe another category for most looping?

I would buy beer for: most unique or interesting  moto/camping/luggage/gadget/technique item presented?

Fencejumper09

Man this is shaping up to be a fun little ride! Introducing the Dual Sport Drinking Game!!  :lol-049:

I can't make it in October! Studying for a test! (Not a pregnancy test)
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

yamahamer

Sounds like a Kyle drinks free ride?  :lol-049:

Depending on work load for me, can't plan too far ahead.  :cool08:

dredman

Quote from: yamahamer on September 27, 2017, 10:22:09 AM
Sounds like a Kyle drinks free ride?  :lol-049:

Funny, I was thinking of Kyle with the looping category - not sure I have see anyone compare to his abilities?

Pretty sure we are not going to do a rugged ride, mostly main roads....but if something awesome pops out there, who knows.

Still flexible on the date - want to include as many that can commit to a weekend

the ride should look mostly like this

bblass

How does everyone feel about doing this on October 28th and possibly meeting the cruiser riders for lunch at the top of Cheaha?

Fencejumper09

That is the day after my test so I will probably be out hitting single track to relax my mind! I won't have the energy prep for a camp n' ride!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

firemantruman

Hey guys, new to the forum. If this isn't reserved for seasoned members I'd be in 100% on a ride and camp along with any of the other suggestions like skill building. I'll even fulfill my duty as the rookie and buy the first round no matter who drops their bike.  :drinking-14:

dredman

This ride is for seasoned and unseasoned riders.
Knobby tires are good, but an OK rider might be be OK with street tires.
Decent clearance might be the only requirement, as street bikes would struggle.
Having a good gear-tie-down system would be good too (tent, bag, etc.)
If you are unsure of bike/gear/skills/terrain post up, or shoot me a PM for assessment.

Right now it is looking like 1st/2nd weekend of November?
Hope everyone that has expressed interest is good with those weekends?

bblass

bblass

Kicking some new life into this thread.

I've got all next week off and next Monday (November 20th) looks like a perfect day to ride the Skyline trails AL 600-1 & 600-2. This probably wouldn't be a camp out event but my goal would be to get out there at reasonably early, ride as far as we feel comfortable out, stop for lunch somewhere and then see if we can't get into a little bit of trouble on the way back. Adventure starts when the plan falls apart.

Hoping with this being a holiday week we can make this happen. This is not a seasoned dual sport ride, this is an anyone come ride! If you've got a massive BMW 1200 GS that you've always dreamed of taking off road, this your moment.

KevinB

^^I could probably do this.

Are you planning an out-and-back ride from a specific point? I'd be hauling the 'Berg over and have to work that evening, so I'd need to cut out NLT 4pm.

bblass

I was thinking meet at the parking lot of the Alabama birding trail on AL 607 near the entrance to 600-1 and pretty much ride from 10 miles out of sylacauga to the top of cheaha via all dirt. It would be an out and back ride but you could easily dump off on surface streets and get back when you need to. I did this ride earlier this year and it took around 6 hours at a moderate pace. Add an hour in for lunch and around an 8:30 start and that should have us back right around 4. I'll try and work up a map when I get out of this meeting.