Tiny bikes, fad or wave of the future

Started by klaviator, October 10, 2017, 09:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceCold4x4

Quote from: klaviator on October 12, 2017, 08:56:07 PM
Just in case someone from Yamaha is reading this, how's this for an idea:

Take the 155cc motor from the Smax scooter (14.8 HP vs 9.4 for the Grom) and replace the CVT with a 5 speed manual tranny. Put it in a frame just a bit bigger than the Grom. Use the Smax wheel sizes: 12/70-13 front and 130/70-13 rear.

You would have a Grom killer that even bigger riders could fit on :applause-003: :applause-003: :applause-003:
Yup that sounds like a damn good plan. Seriously keep the bike weight sub 200 lbs and ya have a winner.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

klaviator

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on October 13, 2017, 07:34:39 AM
Quote from: klaviator on October 12, 2017, 08:56:07 PM
Just in case someone from Yamaha is reading this, how's this for an idea:

Take the 155cc motor from the Smax scooter (14.8 HP vs 9.4 for the Grom) and replace the CVT with a 5 speed manual tranny. Put it in a frame just a bit bigger than the Grom. Use the Smax wheel sizes: 12/70-13 front and 130/70-13 rear.

You would have a Grom killer that even bigger riders could fit on :applause-003: :applause-003: :applause-003:
Yup that sounds like a damn good plan. Seriously keep the bike weight sub 200 lbs and ya have a winner.

The Grom is around 230 pounds and the Spade 266 so this would be a fair amount heavier than either.  My Smax is 328 pounds.  It would likely be lighter than that.  It would still be a very small, lightweight and easily flickable bike. 

Campbell92

I vote bring back the Yamaha YSR and whoop the snot out of the competition. That bike looks dang good. Just make sure to offer that retro Marlboro race team edition and I wont ride anything else!! :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032:

klaviator

Quote from: Campbell92 on October 13, 2017, 12:07:48 PM
I vote bring back the Yamaha YSR and whoop the snot out of the competition. That bike looks dang good. Just make sure to offer that retro Marlboro race team edition and I wont ride anything else!! :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032: :DANCING-banana-032:

The original YSR was a 50cc two smoke.  I don't think that would go over today.  Maybe a YSR155 with the Smax motor?

Campbell92

Quote from: klaviator on October 13, 2017, 01:18:20 PM
Quote from: Campbell92 on October 13, 2017, 12:07:48 PM

The original YSR was a 50cc two smoke.  I don't think that would go over today.  Maybe a YSR155 with the Smax motor?
That is what I was leaning toward. I know the two smoke would not play too well, but use the same concept/style and keep the name and we would be in business. Maybe even go as far as redesigning and going with that naked fz styling.

klaviator

I think the naked FZ stying would work better on this type of bike and was what I was thinking about.  Of course they could use the same engine and chassis to make two different bikes, sort of like the R1 and FZ1.  More choice is always good.

If Yamaha doesn't jump on the bandwagon on this then I think you should talk Steve into becoming a Kymco dealer :idea-013:

Slede

I've thought seriously about the grom to get my son into the big boy side of riding, he digs them, I couldn't really see me riding one though. not because its small but because I'm so large. they are really cool though and I've been keeping my eye on the electric side of things lately, although I don't think they are anywhere near competing across the board with gas engines yet but its much closer than it's ever been.

that being said, I'd be closer to buying a smaller standard bike for him to get his street feet wet so to speak. but he's not quite old enough for a licence and sence I just sold my bike yesterday we're probably going to stay in the yard on a couple dirt bikes for the forseeable future.
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

KrisCook

Quote from: Slede on October 14, 2017, 01:39:30 AM
I've thought seriously about the grom to get my son into the big boy side of riding, he digs them, I couldn't really see me riding one though. not because its small but because I'm so large. they are really cool though and I've been keeping my eye on the electric side of things lately, although I don't think they are anywhere near competing across the board with gas engines yet but its much closer than it's ever been.

that being said, I'd be closer to buying a smaller standard bike for him to get his street feet wet so to speak. but he's not quite old enough for a licence and sence I just sold my bike yesterday we're probably going to stay in the yard on a couple dirt bikes for the forseeable future.

You know the street bike he neeeeeeeds

Mark probably still has the original parts, to restore it to full height.

Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

klaviator

Chitza

All this talk about tiny bikes...you're just talking about everything I want in a bike, just a little more power than that. These are all K-Rex sized bikes  :bike-038:
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

catang5oh

Quote from: klaviator on October 13, 2017, 01:18:20 PM

Ohh, but the YSR 80 was a little screamer!

YZ 80 in a sport mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IceCold4x4

Hell kx100 2 smoke would be really sweet in a mini...

Campbell92

Quote from: Slede on October 14, 2017, 01:39:30 AM

I am not condoning it, but I wouldn't worry too much about size as long as the bike is a pooch. I have seen 14 year olds with their bike license riding xt250s and bikes of the sort. As long as they are not ripping down the road and trying to be safe the police around here have been rather forgiving or just not given any care. Heck, the vintage scene has gotten so big you could probably get an old 2 stroke 125 or something for next to nothing. My first bike was a 1970 Yamaha CT1B 175 Enduro. $600 and one hell of a bike for kid.

Sweeper

I hate to chime in on the negative side, but I've just been through all of this with my daughter. I got a crf230l for her first bike before I knew the law had changed to limit her to a 150cc bike. I bought a new Grom for the year. She never was happy with it because it was so small and she lacked the confidence of most seasoned riders.
The real reason for my post...
Your insurance company will not cover an accident if they are breaking the law. I wanted so bad to let Grace ride that 230 but the thought of anything, even minor, happening just made it not possible. The cops aren't  going to look that close unless they have reason. Your insurance company won't either, but it could get a lot more expensive with them.
Just my two cents for what its worth.

Campbell92

That's the catch. That is why I don't condone it. Insurance and government regulations have ended all the fun. I think this is why the small vintage scene may really catch on. A 150 2stroke can haul some tail and also be street legal.  I know it is a larger engine size but I wish the small bike scene would lean more towards the physical size of the KTM Duke390. That could solve a ton of issues.