News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Ducati stupidity

Started by IceCold4x4, November 19, 2017, 09:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceCold4x4

So now that I've been a Ducati owner for at least 24 hours I've got some complaints, some praises, and some WTF comments to make. Here are the obligatory pics and video

Lets start with the WTF category

Single sided swing arm? really cool but was it remotely necessary? had to have yet another rear stand incase i need to change a tire.
so the "choke" is just a button you press that slightly opens the throttle a bit more....
The riding position? seriously I want to see the human that they used to mock the bike up.

Complaints

second worse seat i've ever sat on (seriously a peice of partical board with some "leather" stretched over it) (worst was a stock zrx seat that i could swear felt like sitting on the frame tubes)
shifter lever is wrong, not sure how yet just wrong.
dry clutch clatter noise.
bike feels heavy to steer

Praises
Looks (i mean come on it's drop dead sexy)
Sound it's really really good!
cranks easy being fuel injected

I'm split and not sure what I'll either use the bike for or sell it. The problem is that the ZRX seems to be able to do everything the 916 can better and faster with more comfort....

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

IceCold4x4

It's a possibility. I dunno. I honestly think I need to lose 30.lbs before I could ride it in any meaningful way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Slede

When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

DonJuan

Clean looking bike! I remember when I could tuck behind my ZX6 windshield, it was a comfortable bike, then. 10 years later, I can't tuck in on my KLR. I feel ya, bruh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

kylepeterson

I bet a rubber mallet can fox that tank!

see what I did there ?
just give 'er the berries !

DachshundUberAlles

Single sided swinging arms are a product of endurance racing, but serve a very practical purpose now when it comes to tire changes, as any person who has experience installing Honda Gold Wing 1800 rear tires versus any other big rig can tell you.
Consider that choke a rare moment of design simplicity.
It's a hard edged sportbike, what kind of seating position should it have. Besides, have you seen the difference between the body type of the top tier racer?

As the bike was designed around homologation for racing, the seat follows the theme.
Perhaps the shifter design is "an Italian thing"?
Get used to the chatter, no dry clutch is quiet, regardless of manufacturer.
It's high speed stability is the payoff for the heavy steering. You can have quick steering at the expense of being high speed twitchy, you can't have both.

The 916 was the original example of "sex on wheels".
Well tuned V twins are famous for their sound.
That's technological advancement for you.

The 916 was a major step forward and is now a significant piece of history, well worth keep on that point alone. As far as that ZRX  comparison, you've only slowly ridden that bike on the street. Take them to the track and you'll see just how lacking that ZRX is when it steps into the 916's turf. That said, I'd never consider turning such a classic into a track only bike unless there was no hope of bringing it back to it's true original glory.
As far as thinking you need to drop weight to ride it "meaningfully", I've seen guys your size (and larger) who can flat out fly out there on track days.

It looks like you've got yourself a nice example there. Considering it's age, I have no doubt that it needs a good going through, but the basic foundation for such a project as that seems to be there. Do get ready for it to be an expensive affair, but one that will be totally worth it when done.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

springer

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on November 20, 2017, 06:41:02 AM
It's a possibility. I dunno. I honestly think I need to lose 30.lbs before I could ride it in any meaningful way.

Yep, must of us guys over 40 need to lose a few.

I now I feel 100% better since I lost my weight. 260# - 180#. (in my underwear, both weight ins)
Did it by eating better. A serving of lean red meat...not a big serving, fruits, and veggies. (Very little white potatoes, sweet potatoes much better for you) Of course that is changed up depending on the time of day. Mornings I substitute eggs for the protein but I take out the about 1/2 the yoke, fruit, and a veggie.
I also exercise every day. Walk, ride my bicycle, lift weights and/or calisthenics. Feel much better than a did a couple of years ago.

56, will be 57 in a few months.     
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

IceCold4x4

So I've ridden it some more since fixing the tire pressures and it make a lot more sense but still feels so foreign. Going to go over it this weekend and pull some fairings and see what all I find lurking under the skin.

IceCold4x4

Quote from: springer on November 22, 2017, 09:59:40 PM
Yep, must of us guys over 40 need to lose a few.

I now I feel 100% better since I lost my weight. 260# - 180#. (in my underwear, both weight ins)
Did it by eating better. A serving of lean red meat...not a big serving, fruits, and veggies. (Very little white potatoes, sweet potatoes much better for you) Of course that is changed up depending on the time of day. Mornings I substitute eggs for the protein but I take out the about 1/2 the yoke, fruit, and a veggie.
I also exercise every day. Walk, ride my bicycle, lift weights and/or calisthenics. Feel much better than a did a couple of years ago.

56, will be 57 in a few months.   
Ya I really just need to control how much I eat and when. Guess my problem is I love food about as much as motorcycling....

renchinrider

This is a really interesting thread.  While I'm not planning to buy a superbike, I appreciate the thoughtful evaluations brought forth by each contributor.  Thanks to all of you!

Ditto the challenge of improving my eating habits :(  Why does it have to be so hard???!!! :'(
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

IceCold4x4

Quote from: renchinrider on November 23, 2017, 11:13:15 AM
This is a really interesting thread.  While I'm not planning to buy a superbike, I appreciate the thoughtful evaluations brought forth by each contributor.  Thanks to all of you!

Ditto the challenge of improving my eating habits :(  Why does it have to be so hard???!!! :'(
I swore 10+ years ago you'd never get me a a crotch rocket. Guess I should never say never...

Mulley

It's a torture device... but it's so dang sexy. Sounds like every Ducati sportbike owner ever.

If you want a better built, less expensive, easier to maintain, easier to ride fast sportbike then get a Japanese sportbike. If you want one of the sexiest machines around you've already got it. You just have to decide what you want from your sportbike.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

IceCold4x4

Quote from: Mulley on November 23, 2017, 09:45:29 PM
It's a torture device... but it's so dang sexy. Sounds like every Ducati sportbike owner ever.

If you want a better built, less expensive, easier to maintain, easier to ride fast sportbike then get a Japanese sportbike. If you want one of the sexiest machines around you've already got it. You just have to decide what you want from your sportbike.

Yup I never really know what i want lol. Other than more green machines. Had a guy ask me if it was a Honda earlier today at a gas station....  Felt like I should have slapped him.

KevinB

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on November 24, 2017, 04:10:55 PM
Had a guy ask me if it was a Honda earlier today at a gas station....  Felt like I should have slapped him.

He may have thought it was the Honda that Ducati copied with the 916...  ;)