News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

The Ride of my Life.

Started by klaviator, November 25, 2017, 05:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I reported to NAS Whiting Field for initial flight training in the T-34c.

I also decided that I needed more than a motorcycle for transportation. So, it was time for my first new car. I got a bright red Dodge Omni GLH. Those of you who remember the old Omni/Horizon econo boxes from the day may remember they where.........well, boring. The GLH version had a hotter, 110HP motor, wide low profile tires on cast wheels and an upgraded suspension. It may not seem like much by todays standards but in 1985 it was a pretty hot car.

So now I had a Hot Car, Hot girlfriend, and Ho..........pretty good bike. Life was pretty good.

and of course the obligatory car and bike pic:

I took every advantage of the time I had to get out and ride around the area.  That included riding to Pensacola about a half hour away to go see Debbi.  Life was good.

Let's not forget my day job:

klaviator

At some point during flight training I year I attended a Formal Navy Ball.   No we didn't get there on my bike ::)

Towards the end of primary flight training I got to do a cross country flight to San Diego and back.  I spent a couple of days exploring San Diego in a rental car.  It was a really scenic city and of course the weather is pretty much perfect most of the year.  I remember thinking " this would be an awesome place to ride a motorcycle!"

After completion of primary flight training there was a wait because of the backlog of students in helicopter training. So I basically had a 6 week vacation. What to do?

How about pick up an extra bike?

It was a 1979 Suzuki GS550 with a Vetter Quiksilver Fairing and Kerker exhaust. it had 35,000 miles on it and I think I paid 600 bucks for it. I bought it for a learner bike for my girlfriend but that turned out to be a dumb idea. It was to big and heavy. But I enjoyed riding it. The exhaust was a little loud but sounded cool. The fairing was surprisingly effective. It was a very comfortable bike. Although it was the same size motor and approximate weight as my vision, it made the Vision feel like a racy, lightweight sport bike. I liked the contrast between the bikes and the variety.  If there was any doubt that I was suffering from MBS, this erased that doubt.

Another thing I did during that time was to take the MSF course at Whiting field.  The one at Pensacola was not very good but I heard this one was better.  It was.  I took it on my old Suzuki.  There were some other students there with much cooler bikes.  There were a couple of foreign students who had no clue how to ride but had the latest and greatest sport bikes but their Daddys were probably oil sheiks so they could afford any bike they wanted..  I guess that kind of rubbed me the wrong way.  Here I was a reasonably competent rider and if truth be told I had a much higher opinion of my abilities than I actually had.  Anyway, it really planted the idea in my mind that I NEEDED a better bike.

Flash back to 1984.  It was a pretty exciting year if you were into sportbikes. I subscribed to several motorcycle magazines and remember it well, especially this:

Wow, just wow. Then I saw one at a local dealer. The rear tire was so wide It almost looked like a car tire. Actually it was only a 150 but at that time it was wider than all the other motorcycle tires. So I spent some time dreaming about it but at $4999 it was going to have to be just a dream.

There were a number of new sportbikes out that year and motorcyclist did a comparison.

They ranked the FJ1100 number one.

So now it was 1985, I had a job and some money.  So I started looking around. I found a slightly used 84 Yamaha FJ1100 on consignment at a local dealer. 3200 miles and 3400 bucks if I remember right. So I traded in the Suzuki and was now the proud owner of my dream bike

I also bought my first leather jacket. I didn't want the black biker style jacket so I got a brown members only jacket which was in style at the time. I also graduated from tennis shoes to work boots. I had a new full face helmet, some kind of gloves and jeans and I was ready to ride. 

Another car and bike pic in front of the house I was renting with a couple of other flight students.

klaviator

1985-1986.

This was an exciting time for me. My day job was learning to fly helicopters, I had a HOT Babe for a girlfriend and I had my dream bike:

It was pretty cool. First, I thought this was the best looking bike on the planet. Looking back now I still think it was a great looking bike, better than most more modern and faster sport bikes.

Second, this thing was a rocket! It was way faster than anything I had ridden, or driven before. Twist the throttle, shift a few times and 120+ came up real fast. At that time I was invincible. I had never crashed and never gotten a ticket so I was not afraid to twist the throttle. I was living just off of route 87, north of Milton, FL, right by Whiting Field. Heading North on 87 it was a pretty deserted road. I would often head up that road just to run it up to 120+. A little ways north of there was Route 4. One day I was cruising along at around 80 when I came over a slight rise. The road ahead was straight and I could probably see a couple of miles. I decided what the heck, time to see what this baby would do. So I twisted the throttle and tucked in. I saw 147 on the Speedo then backed off. That was the fastest I have ever gone on a bike.
The other thing that I loved about the FJ was that when I was riding it I knew I was on pretty much the fastest thing on the road. There where a few other top of the line motorcycles that could match it but there was no production car in the world that could match it in acceleration. At the time that was important to me and it was a great feeling.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. I was a squid and won't try to deny it :D

I didn't spend all my time riding around at 120+. The FJ was a very good bike at lower speeds as well and was pretty comfortable. Leg room was a little tight but I was young and I don't remember it bothering me. The seat was pretty comfortable, both for rider and passenger. It would put the stock seat on almost any modern supersport to shame.

The passenger seat was put to good use. Here's a pic of Debbi and I on a local poker run:

There was one ride I remember well. Debbi's parent's lived in Shalimar, FL about an hour away. I rode over there on Christmas Eve. It was a beautiful day, sunny and 70s. Cruising down I-10 I decided I didn't like the silly 55 MPH speed limit. Since I was invincible I cranked it up to 120 for about 20 miles. This was actually a comfortable cruising speed for the FJ. Then I decided it might be time to slow down. A minute later I saw a cop car

I was still invincible

Well, not completely invincible. The next day as I headed for home the temperature was 28 and dropping!   Despite being bundled up like the Michelin tire man I froze my ass off!  Riding gear back then was not nearly as good as modern stuff.

I wish I had taken more pics of my "day job". This is the best I have:

springer

Ha! The 80's! I remember reading about this "new" company called Aerostich in the motorcycle magazines. The writers loved the fact it was a 1 piece suit that you could "step into and out of" when you got to work.  :D Man, I wanted one so bad but with 2 kids and a wife...well you know.  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

BuckeyeDoug

Those were the days!!!  Growing up in Ohio during 60's-80's.  Check.  Schwinn with banana seat. Check.  Sears mini bike with 3.5 hp B&S.  Check.  Yamaha DT125 then 82 Maxim 750.  Check.  Wish I had pics from back then. Maybe my parents have them stashed somewhere.  Great thread Win!

jrobinson

I love reading these stories. Most of us on the high side of 45 grew up about the same. My Dad riding and letting me ride, gave me the riding bug and for that I'm thankful.

Everyone should tell their story, no matter how long or short it may be.

klaviator

Quote from: springer on November 26, 2017, 06:14:24 AM
Ha! The 80's! I remember reading about this "new" company called Aerostich in the motorcycle magazines. The writers loved the fact it was a 1 piece suit that you could "step into and out of" when you got to work.  :D Man, I wanted one so bad but with 2 kids and a wife...well you know.  ;)

I remember when I first saw those Aerostich ads.  I had no interest in anything like that at the time.  My riding gear consisted of regular clothes except for my helmet and maybe gloves.   

klaviator

Quote from: BuckeyeDoug on November 26, 2017, 07:49:43 AM
Those were the days!!!  Growing up in Ohio during 60's-80's.  Check.  Schwinn with banana seat. Check.  Sears mini bike with 3.5 hp B&S.  Check.  Yamaha DT125 then 82 Maxim 750.  Check.  Wish I had pics from back then. Maybe my parents have them stashed somewhere.  Great thread Win!

So you where one of those lucky kids who actually had the mini bike with a B & S engine.  I wanted one so bad but my parents wouldn't let me get one.  I think the depriving me in my younger days has made me overcompensate later in life.  I'm still overcompensating ;D

klaviator

Quote from: jrobinson on November 26, 2017, 08:24:38 AM
I love reading these stories. Most of us on the high side of 45 grew up about the same. My Dad riding and letting me ride, gave me the riding bug and for that I'm thankful.

Everyone should tell their story, no matter how long or short it may be.

Johnny, I have read your early stories.  You and I grew up completely different.  We might as well have been in different worlds.  The interesting thing is that despite this we both ended up here in North Alabama riding motorcycles together.  How cool is that?

springer

Quote from: klaviator on November 26, 2017, 09:21:10 AM
So you where one of those lucky kids who actually had the mini bike with a B & S engine.  I wanted one so bad but my parents wouldn't let me get one.  I think the depriving me in my younger days has made me overcompensate later in life.  I'm still overcompensating ;D
That was me...well almost. I did buy a leather "motorcycle" jacket after I had been riding awhile. You know the type, black, a bunch of zippers, and heavy as all get-out.  I do know I was 18, cause it was my birthday and I bought it myself in 1979. Had to actually. My birthday is Jan 5 and that is way to close to Christmas to get a GOOD birthday present. My leather gloves were work gloves and my first full face helmet was is in 1982(?), a Shoei.  The local Honda shop was on 3rd ave in Birmingham. They had bought a bunch of them and they just sat on the shelf so they marked them way down.

BTW, GREAT STORY! Looking forward to more!
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

jrobinson

Quote from: klaviator on November 26, 2017, 09:23:32 AM
Johnny, I have read your early stories.  You and I grew up completely different.  We might as well have been in different worlds.  The interesting thing is that despite this we both ended up here in North Alabama riding motorcycles together.  How cool is that?

Path may not have been the same, but the desire for motorcycles was. lol

I've added this report to the web page.  http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/?page_id=12

klaviator

I had my dream bike but was living in Florida, a state not exactly know for great motorcycle roads. Fortunately I had never lived anywhere with great roads so I didn't know any better.

So I had some fun riding the FJ. One scenic ride I did a few times was the road from Pensacola Beach to Navarre. The road was on a long, narrow strip of sand that was so white it almost looked like snow.

Here Debbi poses on the FJ

So riding by the beach was scenic but I had this fast sportbike and had a NEED FOR SPEED!

So I did a few rides to LA. That would be Lower Alabama, not the lesser known LA on the West Coast.  I found a few other riders to do these rides with. We were looking for some better roads than those in Florida. They were a little better but nothing great.  We rode up through Brewton and as far north as Evergreen.  Back then we had no Go Pros and I never really thought of doing any riding pics so All I got were some group pics when stopped.

The bikes, in case you don't recognize them where a Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo, Harley 1000 sportster, and Yamaha Vision.

One event I do remember form these rides was stopping somewhere in podunk Alabama and a gal came up to us and asked if one of these bikes was a Harley. So we told her yes and pointed to the Sportster.   She then proceeded to tell us that it was the best one despite the fact she didn't know a Harley when she saw one ::) 

The rides themselves where fun but something was missing.  At the time I really didn't know what that was.

Chuck & Susan

You know, we live in the area of Pensacola.  Come visit and take us on a ride of the old stomping grounds.  You and Debbie have a place to stay any time you want to visit.  We would love to hear all the stories.

Chuck & Susan
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

klaviator

Quote from: Chuck & Susan on November 26, 2017, 11:09:59 AM
You know, we live in the area of Pensacola.  Come visit and take us on a ride of the old stomping grounds.  You and Debbie have a place to stay any time you want to visit.  We would love to hear all the stories.

Chuck & Susan

Thanks for the offer.  Debbi has family in Fort Walton Beach and I have family in Gulfport so if we go down in that direction we will probably stay with them but I'll be sure to stop by if I have the chance.

klaviator

Back to the story.  My life in Florida was pretty exciting but all good things eventually come to an end.  I finished flight training and got my navy Wings.  I can't find any pics of the winging ceremony but Debbi did bake me a cake.

Posing in front of a display Huey with Debbi and my parents.

One of the big things that happens at that time is that you get your first duty assignment.  You fill out a preference card with where you want to go.  You can put as many choices as you want but in the end the detailer will send you where the Navy needs you.  If you are lucky the Navy will need you to go where you want to go. 

There are two things to consider when filling out a preference card.  Type of aircraft to fly and location.  Location was a no brainer for me.  I fell in love with San Diego when I flew there the year before.  I also thought flying the H-46 helicopter would be fun and there was an H-46 squadron there.  Well I lucked out and got what I asked for. 

After getting my wings, I loaded up my GLH with most of my belongings and headed off for California. My furniture, which wasn't much and two bikes where loaded on a moving truck and also headed west. The drive was very memorable as I first headed for Boulder, CO to visit an old friend and then cut across some spectacular scenery on the way to the Grand Canyon and then finally to San Diego. This was my first time out west with the exception of the cross country flight I had made to San Diego in the T-34. However, this trip was made in a cage (although a very fun to drive cage and not a motorcycle so I won't go into details here since this is a motorcycle forum. Also, I would end up coming back through all those places on a bike more than once.

Getting to San Diego I reported to HC-3, which was the training squadron for the H-46 Sea Knight Helicopter. It was right next to HC-11 which was my eventual destination.

One of my roommates from Florida was also there and we found a townhouse to rent.  I got my stuff and my bikes delivered and my California adventure began.

Remember that this was way back before the internet.  I really had no idea what was out there but on weekends I would get on my bike and started to explore the area.  As soon as you leave San Diego and head east you are in the mountains.  I'm sure I looked at some maps but I think that at first I just pointed my bike towards the mountains and rode.  What an absolute blast. Endless curves, spectacular scenery and the fantastic adventure of riding into the unknown. My memories of those first rides is pretty hazy and I'm not sure exactly where I rode.  My early rides where by myself but I soon met some other guys in the squadron who rode.  One of them was a California native who knew the roads as well as many of the local riders. Soon I was heading out on group rides, first with other guys in the squadron, then some of the local riders.

My early rides where in the mountains just east of San Diego but it didn't take long to start riding farther North as well.

In addition to fantastic roads and other riders to ride with, Southern California had nearly perfect weather for riding.  Temperatures were very moderate and it never rains in California.  OK, maybe it rains once in a while but I got there in April and didn't see rain until November.

One of the cool rides I did was to head north, end up riding by a big lake and then climb a hairpins infested road up the side of a mountain. 

This was the view on the way up.

At the top was this really cool restaurant.

After that there was a long and twisty road to the west.  This was the Famous Ortega Highway.  Back then it wasn't heavily patrolled so it was a real blast to ride!

As I mentioned I did get out and ride with others.  Most of these guys were other pilots in the squadron.  Chris, the guy on the right was one of the guys I had ridden with in Florida.  He was a marine pilot stationed a little to the north.

Having a blast on a typical curvy road in the mountains just east of San Diego.