did you know about kurviger (android) and motogo (iOS) ? (curvy roads app!)

Started by kylepeterson, December 04, 2017, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylepeterson

the developer for kurviger /motogo is very receptive, moto centric, and understands what people NEED in a moto app. if you're using android, do yourself a favor and check this one out for a minute . if it's ease of use and import/export controls make your motor go, kick him a few bucks for the pro version!

oh ya, you can always use his online services , too !
just give 'er the berries !

jrou111

The iOS version for Apple devices is called "Motogo".

I've used it a few times but my Garmin already puts me on the good stuff  8)

kylepeterson

Quote from: jrou111 on December 04, 2017, 09:37:54 PM
The iOS version for Apple devices is called "Motogo".

I've used it a few times but my Garmin already puts me on the good stuff  8)

thanks James, updated the thread title and intro :-)

JBMFT

Can you pre-plan a route and have it give you turn by turn directions?

kylepeterson

Quote from: JBMFT on December 05, 2017, 09:13:14 PM
Can you pre-plan a route and have it give you turn by turn directions?

yup it will. it's not fully featured yet, but for point n shoot type of riding, that will likely be good twistier roads, it's dead simple.

the pro version has import/export and offline maps.... does not have offline ROUTING (route building) yet. if you want offline routing, Osmand would likely work better

JBMFT

What I'd like is the ability to plan my route exactly as I want it in an interface like google maps and then be able to get on the bike and have it walk me through the route with audio ducking for music, audiobooks, etc. I've tried several route and ride planning apps and have yet to find one that can do this. 

Chitza

Quote from: JBMFT on December 06, 2017, 06:38:46 PM
What I'd like is the ability to plan my route exactly as I want it in an interface like google maps and then be able to get on the bike and have it walk me through the route with audio ducking for music, audiobooks, etc. I've tried several route and ride planning apps and have yet to find one that can do this.
#metoo
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

jrou111

Can't speak for kurviger but here's how you do it on motogo for iOS...

1. Open up motogo and hit the "gear" icon at the bottom to go to settings. Select "Prefer Google Maps for directions". Also, you can select to find only paved or unpaved roads, or both. "Map follows rider" means that if you didn't use google maps for routing, you could just leave motogo open and it'll display the roads as you're riding.

2. On the main screen, start zooming out on the map until you start seeing curvy roads.

3. Select the "curves ahead" yellow squiggly box on the road you want to ride. Hit "Directions"

4. The map will then open up in google maps. From there you can choose your routing options.

One caveat: although you can route offline in google maps using cached maps, I'm 99% sure motogo needs cell service to function initially. At least that was the case when I tested it ~9 months ago.

kylepeterson

Quote from: JBMFT on December 06, 2017, 06:38:46 PM

lots of applications will do this, basically you plan on the computer via an online service or an offline program, exp export the gpx from the computer and import it to your phone, then you can open it with whatever application you like....
but we're talking about kurvigator here, so give this a peep...

https://docs.kurviger.de/app/plan_on_desktop

the online kurviger route planning is very much like Google maps, and uses their api , to create routes and draw maps. once you use it a couple of times and then scan the qr code with your phone, I think you'll like it.

again, this is the point n shoot version of really simple/fast routing. the other applications that do this (both on and offline) have a pretty steep learning curve at the beginning, and need a thread all to themselves to keep people sane. :-)

kylepeterson

Quote from: jrou111 on December 06, 2017, 10:22:20 PM
Can't speak for kurviger but here's how you do it on motogo for iOS...

1. Open up motogo and hit the "gear" icon at the bottom to go to settings. Select "Prefer Google Maps for directions". Also, you can select to find only paved or unpaved roads, or both. "Map follows rider" means that if you didn't use google maps for routing, you could just leave motogo open and it'll display the roads as you're riding.

2. On the main screen, start zooming out on the map until you start seeing curvy roads.

3. Select the "curves ahead" yellow squiggly box on the road you want to ride. Hit "Directions"

4. The map will then open up in google maps. From there you can choose your routing options.

One caveat: although you can route offline in google maps using cached maps, I'm 99% sure motogo needs cell service to function initially. At least that was the case when I tested it ~9 months ago.

I noticed a link after sharing, for scenic. have you used that application much?

one of these days I'll have to get an old iPhone and try some of them !

JBMFT

Quote from: kylepeterson on December 07, 2017, 04:41:03 AM
lots of applications will do this, basically you plan on the computer via an online service or an offline program, exp export the gpx from the computer and import it to your phone, then you can open it with whatever application you like....
but we're talking about kurvigator here, so give this a peep...

https://docs.kurviger.de/app/plan_on_desktop

the online kurviger route planning is very much like Google maps, and uses their api , to create routes and draw maps. once you use it a couple of times and then scan the qr code with your phone, I think you'll like it.

again, this is the point n shoot version of really simple/fast routing. the other applications that do this (both on and offline) have a pretty steep learning curve at the beginning, and need a thread all to themselves to keep people sane. :-)

So if I do that the app will give me directions turn by turn through the route as I ride?

kylepeterson

Quote from: JBMFT on December 08, 2017, 08:40:49 AM
So if I do that the app will give me directions turn by turn through the route as I ride?

yup. kurviger gives voice prompts, so you can turn the screen off or stuff it in a tankbag if you like. i prefer to have it up on the handlebars all the time, for ease of use and marking waypoints or shooting pictures quickly.

i bought one of these about nine months ago, but didn't use it much at first because I had some cut-up inner tubes that were working very well. i found it in the backpack one day and gave it a shot, and really like it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Bike-PHONE-MOUNT-Made-of-Durable-Non-Slip-Silicone-Mobile-Cellphone-for/332256060886?epid=543139704&hash=item4d5c0125d6:g:1SoAAOSwiOFZORBs

there are tons of similar designs for $5-80 on ebay/amazon, some of which come in the same box. i prefer the soft / flexible mounts because of all the tree contact my bikes see. much better to bend and flex than to break.

anyway, yes, spoken directions are nice to have. i normally don't use turn by turn, and just leave the route/track displayed on the screen, and turn it on when I think it should be coming up soon. honestly i'd rather have the music playing with the screen off so there is less distraction. it's super easy to stop at sideroad and verify the next turn. :-)

kylepeterson

@springer and @jbmft here's kurviger, after it built a route to the START of the warrior gravel road you mentioned earlier.

(the warrior cemetary gpx file is attached, as is a few screenshots of kurviger in process)

DonJuan

Anyone use the Greatest Road app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

JBMFT

Quote from: kylepeterson on December 13, 2017, 09:56:35 AM
@springer and @jbmft here's kurviger, after it built a route to the START of the warrior gravel road you mentioned earlier.

(the warrior cemetary gpx file is attached, as is a few screenshots of kurviger in process)

You've convinced me, I will give it a try next time I go for a spin. Thank you.