News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

"MX Mounts" Bike Tie-Down System Review

Started by KevinB, December 06, 2017, 12:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

I've been using this system for a few months, so I figured I'd give it a review...

http://www.mxmounts.com/

I purchased the double mount and installed it on my 5x10 utility trailer. They also make a single mount, and both will install in the bed of a pick-up if you don't have a trailer.

Before purchasing, I watched their video driving off-road with a single bike loaded in a pick-up bed. It seemed secure, but I still wondered how much back-and-forth movement the bike would have, or how much swaying (and banging into each other) would occur with two bikes. Being a general skeptic I put off buying one for a couple of months, then decided to pull the trigger.

The mounting base and the square footpeg-mounting bars are much heavier-duty than I was expecting. Install was fairly simple...measure, drill holes in the flooring, and tighten self-supplied bolts.

Securing the bikes looked pretty simple in their tutorial vids, but the first time took some trial and error (but realistically still took probably less time than if I'd used traditional straps).

Loading two bikes is just a bit more hassle because of the limited space between them and the need to lean the bike when installing the footpeg plates...but it's still much less hassle than trying to snake tie downs through forks, wheels, etc. to the opposite side tie-down point.

Loading and unloading one bike? It's literally a 20 second job for either one. I ride the bike onto the trailer, lean it inward toward me and drop the plate onto the left peg and install the pin, then lean the bike away and install the plate and pin on the right footpeg. Unloading is just the opposite.

I'm out-of-shape and a poor rider, so when I get back to the truck after riding I'm pretty whooped. This system is so easy, I'm usually already changed into my shorts and downing chocolate pudding and Coke while everyone else is still trying to tie down their bikes.

On the road, there is little to no movement at all. With two bikes, I have to turn the bars slightly so they'll clear each other...that allows just a small bit of swaying back and forth...not enough to allow contact however.

With one bike mounted, there is no movement at all. I've hit potholes at speed, misjudged turns and ran over curbs, etc. with no movement at all from the bike. I use the third hole on the mounting bars, which puts just the right amount of pressure on the suspension to keep the bike tight and secure.

Two words of warning:

- It doesn't work with all footpegs. I have no issues with the stock KTM pegs on the 200 and 390. We tried Mulley's Beta with Fastway pegs and the mounting bars were just a Unicorn's hair width too large.

- When installing the hitch pins that hold the mounting plate onto the footpegs, watch for sharp edges on the plates! I slid the pin in and sliced my index finger wide open one of the first times I used it. I've since sanded the edges of the plates and also make sure the bike is compressed a little further than necessary to leave a little room between the plate and the hole I'm installing the pin into.

If I had a wider trailer, I might would use two single mounts in order to space them apart just a bit more. Overall I love this system...it's about as "no hassle" as you can get other than having someone else load your bikes for you.

Chitza

That's a great write up, Kevin. I thought I was going all out buying some fancy tie down straps from BTO that cost me $80 for 4 straps. That plus wheel chocks and now I'm jealous of your system. You owe me Christmas money now  >:(
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Mulley

As mentioned, the square tubing is just a little too big to fit through my Fastway Evo Air pegs. They are aluminum so I think that the issue. Steel pegs have larger voids.

I'm still considering buying these and just grinding the vertical bar down about 3/32" and repainting. I'm confident that they will still be plenty strong enough. I really like the design.

FYI, the manufacturer has not tested this for use with larger bikes, only dirtbikes.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

kylepeterson

it is a sweet setup. I like that you don't have any straps to get tangled in the cooler, or the tires. I bet t would hold a bigger bike just fine, with a wheel chock for forward motion prevention.
just give 'er the berries !

Fencejumper09

I am so cheap that before even looking at the price I try to build it cheaper!

I looked at the website and don't think I could do it for much cheaper than that!

Would it bolt through the bed of my truck? I can't get any instructions to show up on their website!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

KevinB

Their pics on the website show it mounted in their pick-up...you supply your own hardware, so you'd just have to figure out what length bolts you'd need.

springer

Quote from: KevinB on December 07, 2017, 02:48:57 PM
Their pics on the website show it mounted in their pick-up...you supply your own hardware, so you'd just have to figure out what length bolts you'd need.
Did it come with 2 or more backing plates? (2 small steel plates that the bolts pass through and secures the mounts so they will not tip?)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

KevinB

It came with the plates that fit over the footpegs, but none for mounting. I used some large diameter washers on the bolt heads and underside of the trailer.

2smoke

After your review I am liking this setup. I have been using the cam buckle, swivel hook/carabineer straps along with a fork brace. This has worked well for me. Particularly during the hot/tired riding aftermath  :D So, instead of working with 4 straps (5 including rear wheel strap) and a fork brace. Just insert 2 60's muscle car type hood pin clips.  I am liking that idea! Thanks Kevin!