News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

What was your first bike?

Started by 2smoke, September 25, 2015, 08:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2smoke

1965 Honda S-65   ;D

My Father actually bought this one for me. After being told many times I would never own a motorcycle while under his roof. Stories of his friend in high school with pins in his knees. I didn't care at the time as I thought motorcycles were for dentists, etc that needed something to do on the weekends. THEN, I rode one. O-M-G!  8) So Dad picked this up from a former neighbor. It was the wife's bike, the husband had a 250 dream. The engine was run low on oil and needed a rebuild. The work was done by a Honda shop in west end. I vaguely remember the shop. So after she had been brought to Bham from Hsv and rebuilt, Dad presented the bike to one happy kid.  :)

MadMax

1985 Kawasaki KD-80M
(Photo borrowed from the Interwebs, not actual bike)

I rode the hell out of this bike!  I even got broad sided by a pickup truck on it. After I got out of the hospital, I rebuilt the bike and rode it for 2 more years afterwards, LMBO!

SlowRoad

Nice Goat

2000 Honda Shadow 600 VLX ... I was a late bloomer

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

maydaymike

My first bike, purchased new in 1998, was a leftover,  still in the crate,  1995 Yamaha Virago 250.

2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 189k
2014 Harley Davidson Street Bob 74k
2019 Vespa GTS300 Super 11k
IBA#58185

Zeus

My first bike was a 1973 Honda SL70. My dad bought it for me in the summer of 1976 from Smith Bros. at Eastwood Mall.

Smitty908

My parents said I could only get a motorcycle, if I was responsible enough to save the money, and pay for it myself.

So, at the ripe old age of 13, I went to the guy down the street who owned a landscaping business, and asked for a job. Saved a lot of money that summer. As soon as I turned 14, I went and got my license, and spent my savings on a pristine 1982 Suzuki GS450, just like this one.

Rode the wheels off of it. The only middle schooler, driving myself to school  8)

Eventually crashed it. Lots of good memories.

DachshundUberAlles

A hand-me-down 1973 Honda XR75.

Boy, I WISH it had looked anywhere near that good when I got it.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

My Dog Ziggy

norton73

1972 Ducati 350 Scrambler

Keep looking for another, but don't want to spend 5 times what I paid for my first one in 1974  :-X
Loose nut holding the handlebars

KevinB

My Dad bought me a used '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre in 1987 when I turned 16.

Argh Oh

Some weird Italian thing. A bucket list item for a Birthday Present to me.

lastparrot

In 1992 I was given a 1988 Kawasaki Enduro.  This little 100 was a ton of fun for me, I took in the trails out by Hurricane Creek in Cottondale.  Rode it daily all year when weather permitted.  Then I got a car and the 16 year old me was more worried about girls than bikes.

Freebooter

Mime was a 1974 Triumph 750 Tiger.

Sagebrush

I had the idea my first street bike didn't need to be small because I'm a big/tall guy.

So, my idea of a first bike in my late 20's:

Stupid I know, should have picked up a cheap DS.

Took it down mostly dirt roads for a while, had never been on pavement with a bike before. It was too much bike even though I was 300 pounds and tall, took me a couple months to get halfway comfy. Ended up getting a DR650 a few months later and finally started to learn faster. Kept both bikes for years, the 950A was my very first real bike, and it was expensive with all the farkles. I had a good job at the time. Then I would ride the DR650 mainly when I moved to Charlotte and save my KTM tires for trips. I learned to ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway mostly after my night shift in Morganton, NC. I would ride up 181 which I lived off of, and watch the sunrise around Little Switzerland / Spruce Pine.

I had a great time once I got a month of daily riding under my belt. Took me about 3 months to reach the 55 mph speed limit on 181, after  4 months of riding daily I went cross country and road home to GA/AL a few times. Got addicted to bikes at that point. Rode probably 15,000 miles my first year, bought 3 bikes in the first two years...