News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Analysis Paralysis

Started by lastparrot, December 26, 2017, 11:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastparrot

Ok so I have a super tenere...love it.  However, it's a heavy big bike (575 lbs. wet) that I don't want to pick up a lot or at all really.  So I find myself looking for a smaller dual sport.  I bounce between a 250 (think WR250R or the new again KLX250).  Then I start reading and the "if only they put a 400 engine in it" starts to bother me. 

So should I look at a 650?  I like the possibility of better highway performance.  I prefer fuel injection so that would rule out the DR...leaving the KLR 650 I guess.  I don't think I can afford the premium that husq and ktm are at right now.  A little about me for those who don't know me.  I am 6'3'' and 250 lbs. so tall seat heights are not an issue.

I know that I am leaving something out of consideration that may be a logical option...I need advice and opinions.  It seems that about every 5 hours I have decide that what I previously was thinking was incorrect and I change what I "want"...until the next barage of mental anquish and activity.

Buzz

klr is a carbed bike.

What bike you want totally depends on it's use.

I love my dr650. It is a compromise though.

The only affordable used fi 650 I know of,  BMW 650 gs.

Nice Goat

None of the 650cc Japanese dual sports are fuel injected, including the KLR, the DR, or the XR.

If you do not intend to do any hill climbs, and if you do not intend to take it to Colorado to ride mountain passes, the 250cc is fine.  They do not have enough power to haul a big fella up a hill, and they lose most of their horsepower at 12-13k altitude.  At this point, I think all of the 250cc dual sports are fuel-injected.  Some people prefer carburetors because you can work on them trailside, but carburetors are going away sooner or later.  Just keep your gas clean, and you'll be fine.

Where the 250cc dual sports differ is in the quality of their suspension.  The Yamaha WR250R has the best suspension with full adjustability.  I believe that the new Kawasaki KLX250 has some adjustability and is taller than the Honda CRF250L, which has no adjustability at all.  Last is the XT250 which has the lowest ground clearance and the softest suspension, but if you are not doing anything gnarly, all of them are plenty adequate.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

norton73

Big bore kit on a 250 is an option assuming you buy used or don't mind voiding your warranty right off the bat.

This guy offers kits for the KLX and CRF 250s, http://bandbcyclerestoration.com/Home_Page.html

There's kits to take the WR250R out to 300cc.

My recently acquired KLX250s has the 351 kit, it has definitely helped the mid range especially.

Loose nut holding the handlebars

jrou111

What type of riding are you looking to do?

lastparrot

Thanks for all the advice so far.  My riding plans, as it were, are to keep getting more technical till i really scare myself and then stay there until I am ready to be scared again.  I know that doesn't answer the question but it is the best i can do.  If i take some time I guess I would like to have attended the CWMA group ride that was a few days back....

norton73

I guess the question is how much street vs offroad capability do you want?

Are you wanting to ride to Tellico Plains and then hit trails?

Just need to get to a local trailhead without having to trailer the bike?

Do you want to be able to just go out the door and go wherever you want?

How much singletrack vs forest service/fireroad do you want to do?

Loose nut holding the handlebars

springer

Any reason you are not looking at the Honda 250 Rally?

A video compare;

From what I have read, watched on video of course, it is pretty capable off-road and on-road.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

terryrussell1

I think at your size a 250 is going to be on the small size for you. I know you said fuel injected but if you are willing to go carb I would consider the drz400. (It will be able to handle single track to even some interstate riding if you need) With some suspension modes you will have one hell of a dual sport.  I have a dr650 and went on the ride last week. The dr was more than capable to handle what we did but I would not want to take a dr or klr in tight single track. Well unless you can ride like jrou, tried chasing him on a klr once through some singletrack. I swear he wasn't even struggling.  Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

bblass

My Dad got an XT250 a couple of years ago and loves it. Says it may be his favorite bike he's ever had. Lightweight, fires every time he hits the button, and perfect for exploring whatever little side trail he may find when the mood strikes him to get out for a ride. His preferred riding is forest service, back roads and easy double track. For that type of dual sporting, it may be the perfect bike.

That being said, it is a 250; theoretically capable of sustained interstate and highway speeds, but really not a good idea. Nothing against the XT. I can't think of a single dual sport 250 I would want to ride more than a few miles on the freeway.

The 400s Terry mentioned would be a good compromise. DRZs are popular for a reason! I'd also look at midsized Husabergs and KTMs on ADV rider. While used ones for a reasonable price are rare, they do exist.

At your size, I'd take a 600cc+ enduro for a test ride before you committed to anything though. Coming from the super 10, a DR650 will still feel incredibly lightweight. I've got JRou's old KTM 640 enduro and it might be my favorite bike I've had so far. It's light enough with good suspension to be capable on the trails but with enough engine that I can use it to commute to work occasionally on the interstate. A big thumper enduro makes for a perfect second bike.

I'll add one unpopular caveat to this - and like JRou said, it all depends on what type of riding you want to do. But I personally don't like the KLR as an enduro bike. One of the greatest ADV bikes ever made? Absolutely! but too big, too heavy, too breakable and not enough suspension or grunt in my opinion to be a pleasant enduro.

I've got a TTR-250 and the 640 if you ever want to swing by, test drive and get an idea about what type of dual sport you like and don't like.  Happy hunting!

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

lastparrot

Wow thanks for the wonderful tips.  I believe I have narrowed my list to the DRZ 400 S amd the DR 650. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

klaviator

I wouldn't rule out the WR250.  Lighter than the DRZ400, better suspension and I have read that it's even better on the highway due to the 6 speed tranny vice the 5 speed in the DRZ. 

I'm also trying to decide on a replacement for my KLR.  I want to go smaller and lighter but I'm looking more for a lightweight adventure bike rather than a street legal enduro.  Right now the KLX250 is probably at the top of my list with the WR250 second.  I'm not in a hurry so I'm waiting to see what else might come out in the next year or two.  A more dirt worthy BMW F310GS might also be a possibility if they bring one out.

I have a friend who replaced his DR650 with a KLX250 a few years ago.  He's a pretty big guy and had no complaints about power even at higher elevations out west.  The bike is jetted lean so starting can be challenging if not done just right.

kylepeterson

Quote from: lastparrot on December 26, 2017, 11:50:01 AM
Ok so I have a super tenere...love it.  However, it's a heavy big bike (575 lbs. wet) that I don't want to pick up a lot or at all really.  So I find myself looking for a smaller dual sport.  I bounce between a 250 (think WR250R or the new again KLX250).  Then I start reading and the "if only they put a 400 engine in it" starts to bother me. 

So should I look at a 650?  I like the possibility of better highway performance.  I prefer fuel injection so that would rule out the DR...leaving the KLR 650 I guess.  I don't think I can afford the premium that husq and ktm are at right now.  A little about me for those who don't know me.  I am 6'3'' and 250 lbs. so tall seat heights are not an issue.

I know that I am leaving something out of consideration that may be a logical option...I need advice and opinions.  It seems that about every 5 hours I have decide that what I previously was thinking was incorrect and I change what I "want"...until the next barage of mental anquish and activity.

fuel injection rules out a bunch of otherwise fine motorcycles. the klr /dr / drz / wr world is awesome.

if you've ever considered titling (south Dakota will title it) a wr450 that would be way nicer.

just give 'er the berries !

LawnmowerRG

The KLX is a good bike. If you are not looking to be a speed demon. I had one.

I am 5 11 and 240
for leisure riding it was great.
problem is I kept riding with fast people. 

I did everything I could to it without making it noisy. It was much better than stock. I sold it because I didn't ride it. I came to the conclusion that it needed a few things.

Suspension is lacking is you want to go fast.
Motor is lacking if you want to go fast.

mods I did.
dropped the counter sprocket 1 tooth.  helped a bunch
KDX 220 snorkel in the stock air box.
eliminated EPA stuff.
rejected the carb (pilot and Main)
drilled the last plate in the muffler
built a rear rack
trimmed the tail

the tank is way small after you start modding and loose some mileage.

And BTW look in the swap meet Yamahamer has a sweat DRZ 400 for sale.

Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Fencejumper09

So much great info already. I will only add that I love my 690 and it is the perfect size for you. You can find some for a good deal nowadays!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332