Ride Report: Ridges and Valley's around Blount County.

Started by BKStewart, September 26, 2015, 10:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKStewart

Growing up in Blount County, I didn't really notice it's beauty at the time.  Since getting a dualsport, I have rediscovered the area and thoroughly enjoy it's hills, valleys and dirt roads.  I decided at the last minute to take the day off and go for a ride.  This is what I call my "go to ride"....I know this area well and have pieced together as much dirt as possible.  The ride covers around 120 miles with 50-60 of it on gravel roads.

Updated link to route:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zpUmlOAwlGpo.klINgPTpMLsI&usp=sharing

Don't pay any attention to the directions in the above link.  Just use the map.

I headed out of Cullman County and hit Isom Road.  I worked my way thru the Hopewell community and down into Browns Valley. 

I made a quick stop and Ebel cemetary.  There are some old grave markers back there amongst those tall weeds.  I guess the families of the dead are all gone...or maybe they just don't care.  Who knows....

This quarry is on Hinds Road.  It's huge operation.  There are lots of trucks coming in and out of here so it can be busy at times. Loose gravel and dusty roads warning!...It's worth riding through the area though and it connects to my next gravel road which dumps  me out just north of the Rainbow Crossing.

Just south of the Rainbow Crossing I hit my next gravel road.   I always heard this area called the ridges growing up.  Not much traffic in this area and there are several great roads.

I worked my way up onto Hamilton Mountain and take a break at Mardis Mills falls.  For those that have never been...it's a must see in my opinion. 

Ride down this path and stop on the big rock.  Watch for broken glass though....

Leaving here I head over towards Skyball Mountain, riding more of the ridges and valleys.

Getting close to lunch time now so I head down Guinns Cove Road towards Bangor and Blount Springs.   TopHat BBQ is calling my name!  As soon as I got close, I could smell the smoke from the pits.  Sorry....no food pictures....I was too focused on eating.

After lunch, I decided to visit a couple of cool spots in the area.  Here are some pictures of the Pivot Rock and an old homestead.

Don't fall in!

I take a few more roads around the area, passing under the train tracks a few times before heading back north....

Back into the ridges now around Blountsville and heading back towards home.

It was a great day of riding with almost perfect weather!  I stopped on the way home for one final picture of this out-house.  I thought it was a rather timely sight considering all the national debates and budget crises news we have been hearing out of Montgomery.

Thanks for reading!
Brian

Chitza

Wow. Great report, Brian. Very impressive. I lived in Blount County 2years and never knew about those roads.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

jrobinson

kdtrull

SlowRoad

Some nice shots and beautiful scenery.  Love it!!

Great way to break into BamaRides!

Jwwr

Well, if you judge a ride report by how bad it makes you want to go there, Lets just say I'm going to be studying me some maps of Blount County! Excellent report!

BKStewart

Thanks for the comments.  I have added a link to a Google Map of the roads.  Don't pay any attention to the directions that come with the map.  They don't really make sense.

Brian

norton73

Nice report!  Thanks for sharing with us some interesting places to ride that are close to home. Gonna have to check some of these roads out.
Loose nut holding the handlebars