News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Lifts/stands

Started by DachshundUberAlles, September 26, 2015, 02:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DachshundUberAlles

I'm looking to get a lift for the house. While I know nothing beats a Handy for shop use, and the K&L's are pretty top drawer themselves, both are really too overkill for my home needs. The choice is really between the Harbor Freight and a Kendon (middleweight). The Harbor Freight just stomps the Kendon on price point at $300 (w/coupon) versus $800 (retail), but that Kendon is a pretty good looking piece. My only reluctance about the Kendon is that it seems a bit narrow.

Does anyone have either of these, or have seen the two up close or in use to offer an opinion as to just how well the HF stacks up, or why the Kendon is worth the extra money?

Thanks.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Chuck A.

I have the Harbor Freight lift. Lifts the 1500 Nomad (800+ lbs.) with no problems. I did put the good floor mount chalk on the front. One that came with it just holds the tire from going side to side. With the one that's on it now I don't strap the bike half the time. I'd buy it all again if needed.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

yamahamer

I have the Harbor Freight and you can't beat it for the price. Like Chuck, I added a better wheel chalk and the table has had every style bike you can think of on it.
Love mine!

SpeedyR

I know actual motorcycle shops that use the HF lift. Some will replace the hydraulic system with a better one and like others said replace the chock with a more solid unit depending upon what you usually work on (cruiser, dirt or street bikes).

norton73

The HF lift is good value.  Unless you are going to be using it every day for multiple bikes, it okay.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

DachshundUberAlles

Thanks for the feedback. My needs are very basic, just oil/filter changes and the occasional "super clean". Longevity is important, that's why the quality of the Kendon appeals to me. It seems like the HF is going to give me what I'm looking for, as long as I do the wheel chock upgrade. What brand did you guys use for yours?
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Argh Oh

I have the CG chock, bought on sale for $69.99 and use it on a trailer. I'm very happy with it, certainly with the sale price. I think they're usually on sale for $79.99 now. The flipper thingy also adjusts for wheel size.

DachshundUberAlles

lostinbama

I'll tell you, a wide lift kills your back. I'll take narrow any day. I have a K&L shop lift and love it. To me as much as I use it, it's well worth the investment.

DachshundUberAlles

I am fortunate that my friend Joe Hargrove allows me the use of his lift at the shop to do my oil changes. Since ATVs are his main customers, he has the side extensions and you are right, that extra width requires more bending/leaning in to do the work on a bike. The lack of width I was referring to is that the Kendon lifts are only marginally wider than the typical loading ramp, hardly enough room to put down the center stand. That's what makes me nervous about them. If they had the width of a standard Handy, K&L, or even a HF, I'd grab one in a heartbeat. It's got the quality advantage over the HF, the price advantage over the K&L, but is hamstrung (in my view) by its narrow platform.

Chuck A.

Unless you are working on a 18 speed bicycle the HF lift isn't a problem with the width, not for me I should say. The lift pedals slid off easily so they are not in the way while working with it.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson