News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Show us where you went dual sport riding today

Started by jrou111, September 26, 2015, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

Ken and I rode some dirt roads, many creek crossings and low bridges, and a short trail to a cool waterfall.  Apparently we rode a little bit of the TAT also, which was a surprise to both of us.  It was a great day.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

yamahamer

kdtrull

Just a hair outside of Tellico Plains.

My tiny home for a couple days.

Danimal

Sitting around the house with my air broken. Too hot to ride, too hot to sit here. I'll go down to the river for a dip. Love my Strom.
[/b]

KrisCook

The best part was the drop off of the rope swing!  Thanks for including that.  GREAT vid.  I feel cooler already.
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

ironblood45

I know this is technically a sumo but....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yamahamer

kdtrull

jrou111

I managed to get some riding up in the mountains yesterday on the VStrom.

Somewhere in South Carolina

Devil's Courthouse

Looking glass rock from the BRP

Looking glass rock from a FS road

In the higher elevations it was in the mid to upper 60's. Just what the doctor ordered.

After riding on the BRP, I headed into Maggie Valley. I grabbed some snacks and water and rode a secret backroad I discovered a few years back to Heintooga. When I got to the start of the 28 mile gravel loop there was a road closed sign.

I decided to check and see if I could still make it. I figured it'd be either a landslide or a tree fallen or something. It was getting late too so I figured if I had to I could backtrack and camp at Balsam Campground.

Turns out it was fallen trees. There were about 6-7 fallen but some were cut up or not completely blocking the road.

The first tree

It was passable but I snapped a few branches to make it wider. As I was doing so I heard buzzing and looked to see a big yellow jackets nest that was on one of them limbs. I hopped back on the bike and rode on through.

The next tree I didn't get a shot of. It was about an 8-10" log laying flat on the ground. I figured I could hop it...well guess again! My 86 Weld skid plate hit it and just dug into the side of the tree. With not enough ground clearance left I decided to just pick it up and slide it to the side. Doing so of course knocked my bike over!

The next tree I stopped at and figured out a way around. I took one of the broken limbs and used it as a lever to move the fallen tree out of the way. 

Success!

Another 6-7 miles and I was at the bottom. Of course the gate was closed, but thankfully I found a way around.

After that I headed on Bunches Creek Road back up to the BRP. It's a pretty quick elevation change.

Even got to catch the sun set

I rode from there across the BRP down Dobson Ridge Rd and on into Cherokee. I had prepared to camp but figured it was only 2.5hrs home, so I headed south in the cool of the night.

I wound up riding 455 miles, just under 100 of that was dirt/gravel. All in all, a good day to ride.

Fencejumper09

It is dual sport because I rode to the singletrack!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

yamahamer

I need to brush up on my hill climbing skills. Great day!

gulfcoaster

Quote from: yamahamer on July 31, 2016, 06:34:24 PM
I need to brush up on my hill climbing skills. Great day!

Where was this at?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

yamahamer

Northport? Not sure, I was just following.  ;D

jrou111

I needed another weekend of riding up in higher altitudes where it's much cooler. Awesome riding. Awesome time with advrider41.

Cataloochee. Max Patch. Hurricane Creek. Cherokee.

After he left I headed south towards home but stopped by and rode for a couple hours near Helen Ga on Tray mountain rd and the Chatahoochie WMA.

Rode just under 100 miles of dirt on Saturday and about 110 miles on Sunday.  All in all, a good weekend to ride.