News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Engine oil 10w-40?...30? Synthetic? Dino? Baby Seal oil?

Started by springer, January 18, 2018, 04:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

NOTHING can start an argument faster than a discussion about oil. They often dissolve into a Diss-cuss-n-fight.  ;)

A LOT of B.S. surrounds the topic. Synthetic will damage your engine, it is to "slick".  I have a good filter so I change oil every 20,000 miles, and bla, bla, bla.

This guy has some good advice on oil, he explains what the numbers really mean plus all the alphabet that gets stuck on a bottle of oil.

http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/oils.htm   
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kylepeterson

I've figure out two pieces of genius

1 change it when it gets black
2 keep it full

That's everything I've learned from forty years of oil changes. Well, pretty much every thing I know really
just give 'er the berries !

IceCold4x4

Quote from: kylepeterson on January 18, 2018, 05:48:07 PM
I've figure out two pieces of genius

1 change it when it gets black
2 keep it full

That's everything I've learned from forty years of oil changes. Well, pretty much every thing I know really

I'll agree with this for the most part. Once you start making "drastic" changes to a motor, say for instance nitrous / turbo or LOTS of NA stuff (bored, stroked, comp increase, cams and headwork to where you get close  to 40% or more than stock HP) oil really can become important. other than that close to the right weight and keeping it full and changed at regular intervals is more than good enough.

norton73

Oil changes, like voting, should be done early and often.

;D

Loose nut holding the handlebars

bblass

Never let an opportunity for a good "discussion" go to waste...

While searching if "Motul" is really necessary for my bikes I came across a lovely thread where an Aussie gentleman ran a lab experiment testing claims of viscosity and durability across various leading synthetic oils.

His results probably won't surprise anyone - Royal Purple, Amsoil & Mobil 1 are API certified and all three will take excellent care of your engine if changed at the manufacturers recommended service interval. Oil problems are pretty much a thing of the past as long as you change it and use a viscosity recommended for the temperature range you're operating in.

If you want to understand the science behind why BobistheOilGuy has a pretty good write up on it. Just like Springer's link, he stresses that most of modern oil marketing is a bunch of hooey and to just ensure your brand meets the American Petroleum Institutes standards.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Fencejumper09

I have found that the Rotella works well in the YZ for the first and maybe second ride. If I stretch to 3 or 4 rides, I start getting false neutrals fairly regularly.

This may be more of an issue since it has a Rekluse!

I continue to use the manufacturers recommended Motorex in the KTM 690 just because I haven't had any issues with it and with known rocker arm bearing issues due to oil starvation, I will continue to use it.

I know none of this is scientific just my 2 cents for the diss-cuss-shun
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Jwwr

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on January 19, 2018, 10:10:47 AM

I continue to use the manufacturers recommended Motorex in the KTM 690 just because I haven't had any issues with it and with known rocker arm bearing issues due to oil starvation, I will continue to use it.

I also use KTM's recommended Motorex, but a lot of Husqavarna's have the same engines and they recommend Bel-Ray! 

Hammerdown77

The BEST oil is BMW's Advantec at near $20 a quart.
Because, obviously.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

springer

Quote from: Hammerdown77 on January 19, 2018, 02:10:06 PM
The BEST oil is BMW's Advantec at near $20 a quart.
Because, obviously.
Actually the BEST oil is Baby Seal oil...Why?

Well...

The only reasonable, sensible oil to use is Baby Seal oil.
Why?
Well its simple really. Most oil is made from dead dinosaurs that have been in the ground rotting for millions of years. Why would you want to use some old nasty stuff like that?
Baby Seal oil is made fresh every day. Every morning we get up bright and early to club the baby seals, bashing their cute little skulls in. Then we thoroughly squeeze every drop from their still warm bodies, extracting every drop of baby seal goodness.
But wait, that is not all we do for you. We also go around to all the mother seals to collect their tears.
Why?
It is simple really. The mother seals tears add a bit of sweetness to the oil that you can not find anywhere else.
We want the best for you, our customer, so this added work is our way of saying thank you for using the best oil in the world.
Baby Seal oil, they gave it all for you, so enjoy it.

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Gam

I use Rotella in all my bikes, it works almost as good as oil.

Chuck A.

I only use new engine break-in oil. If it's good enough for a fresh engine, it's good enough for my engine with 50,000 miles. 8) ;)
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

kylepeterson

just give 'er the berries !

springer

Quote from: kylepeterson on January 22, 2018, 06:24:22 AM
gotta love oil threads.

:-)
Yea...but it IS winter after all...gotta talk about something. :D

norton73

Loose nut holding the handlebars

springer

Quote from: norton73 on January 22, 2018, 10:26:10 AM
Is Baby Oil really made from babies?
Not sure about normal baby oil but Baby Seal oil...well that is a different story.