News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Dual-Sportin the Free-State IX

Started by Al Goodwin, January 23, 2018, 05:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Al Goodwin

Come one, come all dual-sport riders to the event of the year, so I've heard. ???

April 27-29.....activities like sausage fest on Friday night, Bacon fest Saturday morning, lunch at the world famous Chef Troy's Talk of the Town.....

Where....Brushy Lake recreation area/campground, in the beautiful Bankhead National Forrest.

Route will consist of true dual-sporting, limited blacktop, dirt roads, old road beds, maybe even some true trail riding if a group wants to hit the Flint Creek trail system.

Bikes must be tagged and insured, we'll have the "motor vehicle use map" printed out and with us to insure we stay legal.

So, make your calendars.....

We'll be doing some scouting ride prior to the event to find some new things, and visit some from years past.

norton73

if I'm not on call that weekend, I'm in.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

David DoubleEX

I should be able to come to this! With my new car I can haul the dirt bike there. I'll add it to my calendar...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Nice Goat

Oh yes ... I'm definitely in.
And I'm going to do my very best not to get drunk and/or impersonate Tina Turner this year...
Or at least not fall over the other guests while doing it...
Mary was not too proud that night.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

I'm off work that Friday night so I should be able to make the whole event. :)

Chitza

Quote from: Nice Goat on January 23, 2018, 09:01:01 PM
Oh yes ... I'm definitely in.
And I'm going to do my very best not to get drunk and/or impersonate Tina Turner this year...
Or at least not fall over the other guests while doing it...
Mary was not too proud that night.

Awww. Now that's a shame. I got my guitar re-strung just for this event and an encore. I'm in. Street Only and camp duties.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Spicciani2

Looks like fun!   When do yall start on friday? 

TFancher

I'm planning to be there Saturday morning through Sunday. Don't miss this one folks. You'll definitely regret it!
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Fencejumper09

Friday is my Anniversary so I may be able to make it for the ride Saturday! I just can't justify missing my anniversary for the Sausage Fest!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Spicciani2 on January 24, 2018, 10:50:57 AM
Looks like fun!   When do yall start on friday?

We'll probably be setting up Thursday afternoon/evening.....

Then Friday is just a seat of the pants kind of day.  There's options, from a street ride, to the Flint Creek trails....

norton73

Currently the calendar has me off that weekend. I'm gonna plan on coming up after work Friday. I'll work on getting Lynn to come ride street.

Al Goodwin

I've had questions about a street route on Saturday.....

Looking for a volunteer to lead a street route for some folks

I could help with the route.

Any takers??

zx3fred

Would you be up for a new dual sport rider joining in on the action? I don't have my bike yet but I should have a few hundred miles on it by late April.
If you are looking for high performance, you need to jack up the gas cap and roll another bike underneath it.

'16 KLR650 - coming soon

norton73

Quote from: zx3fred on February 12, 2018, 11:50:25 PM
Would you be up for a new dual sport rider joining in on the action? I don't have my bike yet but I should have a few hundred miles on it by late April.

This usually a good event for new dual sport riders. Mostly dirt and fireroads, with a few optional side trails that you don't have to go down, just wait for the others to come back. Plenty of supportive people to ride with. Most of the ride is big bike friendly, Al will most likely be two up on a KLR650 with Melony. I have ridden both my XT350 and my R100GS and enjoyed it.
You certainly won't be the first person to use this event as their first dual sport experience.

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.