News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Where are the GS riders?

Started by Frank Smith, January 27, 2018, 07:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Smith

I ask because I want to do some D/S riding but the off-road part has to be tame enough for the big pig.  At 560 pounds, I have to be careful. The tires are right, TKC 80, but once again, I'm looking for a route that has the right terrain.  I don't mind a spill here or there but I certainly don't need to get injured. If there are any Africa Twin, 1190, or GS rides in North Alabama please reply and let me know where you go to get dirty. Thanks.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

klaviator

If you want some easy dirt roads to ride try the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge.  If it's dry you could ride it on a street bike.  I'll be glad to show you around some time.  The dirt roads start just 5 miles from my house.

springer

Quote from: Frank Smith on January 27, 2018, 07:51:54 PM
I ask because I want to do some D/S riding but the off-road part has to be tame enough for the big pig.  At 560 pounds, I have to be careful. The tires are right, TKC 80, but once again, I'm looking for a route that has the right terrain.  I don't mind a spill here or there but I certainly don't need to get injured. If there are any Africa Twin, 1190, or GS rides in North Alabama please reply and let me know where you go to get dirty. Thanks.
So, what eggzactly are you looking for? Dirt roads? (Think 2 jeep/truck wide) Dirt paths? ( 1 truck/jeep wide)
I live in Central Alabama and know this area and south better.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Frank Smith

Springer,

You're too far South. Not that I wouldn't want to ride with you but I'm looking for something in my area.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

springer

Quote from: Frank Smith on January 27, 2018, 10:45:55 PM
Springer,

You're too far South. Not that I wouldn't want to ride with you but I'm looking for something in my area.

Understand...get some good dirt routes and I'll head your way.  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Frank Smith

Quote from: klaviator on January 27, 2018, 08:26:43 PM
If you want some easy dirt roads to ride try the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge.  If it's dry you could ride it on a street bike.  I'll be glad to show you around some time.  The dirt roads start just 5 miles from my house.

Hey thanks. How about Saturday morning rain or shine?  Let me know, and thanks for the reply.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

klaviator

Saturday morning is normally good for me.  I'll let know in a few days.  Right now it looks like rain on Friday and sunny & 45 on Saturday.  It may be muddy and slick.   

I'll post something in planned rides in case anyone else wants to join us.

This time of year there are a lot of closed Gates so only about half of the roads are available so it won't be a real long ride.

Hammerdown77

There are some decent dirt road/gravel sections on the Tennessee portion of the TAT, but you have to get more toward Lawrencburg before you start encountering them.

Wheeler is a good place to "practice", although with the big bikes, watch out if it's muddy.

I go up into Tennessee just North of the state line, toward Taft and then Fayetteville, then roam West toward Pulaski on back roads, and you can find some interesting dirt/gravel farm roads up there, the only problem is knowing whether you are going to end up in someone's driveway, whether they go anywhere or just dead end, etc.

Bankhead and Cheaha have stuff that big bikes can do, however that's more of a stretch for us in N. Alabama if you're looking for a day ride.

I've got a 2016 GS and biggest concern I have is getting the big heavy bike in a place where I can't get back out if I'm by myself. Also, crashing, obviously. My skill level is squarely in the noob category when it comes to riding big bikes on dirt.

These bikes are heavy already, but they get REAL heavy if you have to pick them up a few times in a row. Haven't dropped the GS yet, but I've dropped the V-Strom, and I wouldn't want to have to pick that thing up more than a few times by myself.
At least you have better tires than the Anakees or Scorpion Trails that I have. Those are fine if you're on groomed dirt or gravel, so long as you don't need to turn suddenly...  On anything else, they're scary.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

springer

Quote from: Hammerdown77 on January 28, 2018, 10:05:24 AM
There are some decent dirt road/gravel sections on the Tennessee portion of the TAT, but you have to get more toward Lawrencburg before you start encountering them.

Wheeler is a good place to "practice", although with the big bikes, watch out if it's muddy.

I go up into Tennessee just North of the state line, toward Taft and then Fayetteville, then roam West toward Pulaski on back roads, and you can find some interesting dirt/gravel farm roads up there, the only problem is knowing whether you are going to end up in someone's driveway, whether they go anywhere or just dead end, etc.

Bankhead and Cheaha have stuff that big bikes can do, however that's more of a stretch for us in N. Alabama if you're looking for a day ride.

I've got a 2016 GS and biggest concern I have is getting the big heavy bike in a place where I can't get back out if I'm by myself. Also, crashing, obviously. My skill level is squarely in the noob category when it comes to riding big bikes on dirt.

These bikes are heavy already, but they get REAL heavy if you have to pick them up a few times in a row. Haven't dropped the GS yet, but I've dropped the V-Strom, and I wouldn't want to have to pick that thing up more than a few times by myself.
At least you have better tires than the Anakees or Scorpion Trails that I have. Those are fine if you're on groomed dirt or gravel, so long as you don't need to turn suddenly...  On anything else, they're scary.
Have you tried the MEFO MFE 99 Super Explorer tire? That is what I have been using on the AT. Does pretty good on the pavement, really good in the dirt and mud. Not to much pavement "howl" but there is some. It is more of a 40/60 type tire.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mefo-explorer-dual-sport-tires

Hammerdown77

Quote from: springer on January 28, 2018, 12:01:49 PM
Have you tried the MEFO MFE 99 Super Explorer tire? That is what I have been using on the AT. Does pretty good on the pavement, really good in the dirt and mud. Not to much pavement "howl" but there is some. It is more of a 40/60 type tire.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mefo-explorer-dual-sport-tires

Don't think they make those in the GS sizes (also, I think they are tubed tires only). I got a pair of Shinko 705s to try something with a little more tread, without going to a full knobby, and they are a known quantity with decent reviews and were inexpensive. If I don't like them, it won't hurt too much to pull 'em and put something else on.
Sounds like Frank already has the TKC 80s on his bike, which is one of the gold standard tires for taking these big bikes offroad. Won't last very long on road, though...
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Frank Smith

I was in Bankhead last weekend with Anakee IIIs and went down twice in the mud, bike behaved like it was on a sheet of ice. I was able to get the big pig up by myself. Thankfully I was in six inches of mud so no damage. Got myself out of a jam on two other ventures into mud on the same ride.  I try not to let these kinds of situations get to me so I wanna try it again next weekend with the TKCs. I wanna test my theory which is that I really think it was the tires.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

Frank Smith

Quote from: klaviator on January 28, 2018, 08:30:26 AM
Saturday morning is normally good for me.  I'll let know in a few days.  Right now it looks like rain on Friday and sunny & 45 on Saturday.  It may be muddy and slick.   

I'll post something in planned rides in case anyone else wants to join us.

This time of year there are a lot of closed Gates so only about half of the roads are available so it won't be a real long ride.

I'll go mud or dry, but it's your choice. Let me know either way. Hope to see you.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

klaviator

Mud's OK with me.  I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with less than 50/50 tires.  I've got a KLR with Shinko 244s.  They aren't great in the mud but work good enough as long as I don't try to go too fast.  If you have TKC 80s you should be fine. 

Frank Smith

Sounds good. Keep me posted once you decide for sure.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

Frank Smith

Quote from: springer on January 27, 2018, 08:42:39 PM
So, what eggzactly are you looking for? Dirt roads? (Think 2 jeep/truck wide) Dirt paths? ( 1 truck/jeep wide)
I live in Central Alabama and know this area and south better.

I'm looking for terrain that I can get through on a 550 pound bike. The GS has its limits. And my riding ability doesn't help much either. I'm not a noob, but I am not an expert either. So yea, no single track that's too gnarly but some light Jeep trails or even dirt roads. I went to the gravel roads site and seen some stuff near me but I believe those are more tame as there are several homes along the road. I think the GS is more tailored to the kind of off-road conditions one would expect to see out west. Vast expanses, rolling hills, and so on. I need a 250 DS bike but I can't pull the trigger on another bike right now. Thanks for an invite, I will definitely get in touch if I ever plan on heading your way.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F