News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Where are the GS riders?

Started by Frank Smith, January 27, 2018, 07:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Smith

Quote from: Hammerdown77 on January 28, 2018, 01:48:26 PM
Don't think they make those in the GS sizes (also, I think they are tubed tires only). I got a pair of Shinko 705s to try something with a little more tread, without going to a full knobby, and they are a known quantity with decent reviews and were inexpensive. If I don't like them, it won't hurt too much to pull 'em and put something else on.
Sounds like Frank already has the TKC 80s on his bike, which is one of the gold standard tires for taking these big bikes offroad. Won't last very long on road, though...

I agree, that's what I've been hearing about the TKCs, they don't last long. I got almost 8K on the Anakees but they are just street tires as far as I'm concerned. I'll burn through these TKCs and then maybe try Pilots and stay off the dirt. The GS is like a Tahoe or X5, it's big, heavy, expensive and touts all terrain as far as hype, but you gotta know what you're doing and it's very limited against a tricked out Jeep CJ, or for bikes, a KTM or WR250.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

springer

Quote from: Frank Smith on January 28, 2018, 06:30:26 PM
I'm looking for terrain that I can get through on a 550 pound bike. The GS has its limits. And my riding ability doesn't help much either. I'm not a noob, but I am not an expert either. So yea, no single track that's too gnarly but some light Jeep trails or even dirt roads. I went to the gravel roads site and seen some stuff near me but I believe those are more tame as there are several homes along the road. I think the GS is more tailored to the kind of off-road conditions one would expect to see out west. Vast expanses, rolling hills, and so on. I need a 250 DS bike but I can't pull the trigger on another bike right now. Thanks for an invite, I will definitely get in touch if I ever plan on heading your way.
No problem Frank. Yea, what I would give for a Beta Cross-Trainer with a tag...sigh.  :P
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Fencejumper09

They are half the price of the AT so you should get one.......and let me ride it!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Hammerdown77

Quote from: Frank Smith on January 28, 2018, 06:36:26 PM
I agree, that's what I've been hearing about the TKCs, they don't last long. I got almost 8K on the Anakees but they are just street tires as far as I'm concerned. I'll burn through these TKCs and then maybe try Pilots and stay off the dirt. The GS is like a Tahoe or X5, it's big, heavy, expensive and touts all terrain as far as hype, but you gotta know what you're doing and it's very limited against a tricked out Jeep CJ, or for bikes, a KTM or WR250.

I've heard/read time and time again how "surprisingly good" Anakees and Scorpion Trails and other so-called "80/20" tires are for light offroading, groomed dirt and such, which I don't totally disagree with, but that should come with the caveat, "Unless you need to turn the bike."  The new GS's, with all the electronic wizardry and Enduro modes do a really good job of hiding how bad those tires are offroad, making you feel like the bike is much more planted/stable than it is, but if you suddenly get to a section on that dirt road you've been trucking down at 40+ mph and need to turn the bike, you're buggered. It will just push and slide and won't change direction (not without crashing). There's too much inertia, not enough grip on the sides of the tire. "Like being on ice" is a good description. Gravel is worse.

I think it will be night and day difference for you with those TKCs. The bike's still heavy, and you can't ride it like a real dirt bike, but actually being able to turn at reasonable speeds while still feeling in control should greatly improve the experience. I'm interested to see how the Shinko 705s do. I know they won't be as good as TKC80s, but if they take away some of the pucker factor for the speeds and types of offroad I would be doing, without making me pay too much of a penalty in the on-road riding that I spend most of my time doing, then it will be a step in the right direction 
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

klaviator

How about meet Saturday at 10?  Low Friday night is forecast to be 24 so it will be real cold early in the morning.  It won't be a real long ride and we should be done by noon.  I'm flexible and can go later if you want.  Let me know and I'll post this in planned rides in case anyone else wants to join us.

Frank Smith

Pardon the delay. I have to cancel.  I have to help a friend who's in a jam.

Btw, I found what may be a goldmine of light trails not far from where I live but have not explored them yet. When I get to it I will post a ride report.  These are in the hills and forest between New Market and your favorite Route 65. More to come. Sorry if I inconvenienced you.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

klaviator

No problem.  Maybe some time in the future.

Frank Smith

Sure. Let me map out these roads around here and report on what's available.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

klaviator

I have done some of the dirt roads off of 65.  From what I understand there used to be a lot more dirt roads and trails in that area but many have been gated now.  Maps probably show some roads that are now longer open but it's worth exploring.

Frank Smith

Yea I gotta xplored it bu didn't get very far. Roads are all closed. County stopped maintaining them years ago so the property owners gated them up.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F