News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Add-ons to gear to make you safer at night.

Started by springer, February 07, 2018, 07:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

Most of my gear has some...or a lot of reflective stuff on it but one thing that doesn't is my helmet. It is white and can be seen during the day, but at night, not so much.
Then I watched a YouTube video by RyanF9 about using reflective rim tape, the kind used mostly by some Sportbike riders to outline their rims, but he used it to outline a helmet. Seemed like a good idea, so I though what the hay, I'll give it a try.
So I ordered some up from Amazon from these guys;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9ZDDTQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, how did it do? Well I will let you be the judge.

First video was taken at dusk from about5 to 10 ft away. The light I used is the small, cheap, 1 AA battery LED light I carry around clipped to my pocket. It is sorta bright but no were as bright a 2 headlights or even 1 headlight from a vehicle.  You can see the helmet with out the light but it is a little hard to see;

This video was taken after it gets dark. You can see the outdoor lights my neighbors have. Distance is 15-20 feet away. See if you can even spot the Helmet with out my little flashlight.

A little safer for a little money.

BTW, 1 roll will give you enough for 2-3 helmets, depending how wild you get with it. Comes in a bunch of colors too.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

springer

Okay, on another forum some one asked for some pictures in daylight so I took a few in a shaded area. 1/2 with flash, 1/2 with out. So y'all can see them to, here they are;

I used white rim tape because it is a white helmet. It is close in a color match but not real close.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Mulley

Nicely done. That makes me want to do something similar.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

klaviator

I have a white helmet and a Hi Vis Yellow helmet.  I added some reflective stickers to both of them.  It can never hurt to increase your visibility.

springer

Quote from: Mulley on February 08, 2018, 01:03:46 PM
Nicely done. That makes me want to do something similar.
With your talent at doing good stuff right it will look excellent I am sure!

Me? I have none. I just (badly) followed the ridges built into the helmet.  :D

Jwwr

I added some 3m reflective tape to my Panniers. It was cheap $3 for 10 feet of it from Amazon. May do the sides too.

kylepeterson

just give 'er the berries !

David DoubleEX

That is really cool. My helmet and my gear is all pretty dark, which isn't good, so I might try something like this.
On the bright side, my V Strom is bertha sized, has ridiculously bright HID headlights, and like 4 tail lights, half of which flash when I hit my brakes. And if I'm running my brights, that adds on a set of LED headlights too.

Though my WR426 is about invisible at night, other than a decent LED headlight. Good thing its mostly just for off road!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

springer

Bring this up cause I got a new lid. Same kind Scorpion, same model, EXO 950, same color, white but this ones XL and it is the one I should of gotten first.

Going to make it a bit safer at night, but going in a little different direction.

This was taken late evening. When it is dark, headlights should really make it pop.  ;)

Used rim tape like on the last one. BTW, my last EXO-950 is still for sale, $50.00 size L

BamaPhill

@kdtrull says my grey DR650 (and helmet) looks like "Rolling Asphalt" :D.  So I thought it would probably be good to add day and night time add-ons to give me a little more visibility.  I gave my helmet a little more visibitlity using the @springer  method.  I bought 1" rolls of white and hi-viz yellow engineer grade reflective tape.  This is what I ended up with:

With Flash:

I've added auxiliary lights to help with daytime visibility but I need to come up with a way to "tastefully" add some of the reflective tape to my rolling asphalt of a bike:
2013 DR650
2015 CRF250L

springer

Quote from: BamaPhill on September 24, 2018, 11:12:45 AM
@kdtrull says my grey DR650 (and helmet) looks like "Rolling Asphalt" :D.  So I thought it would probably be good to add day and night time add-ons to give me a little more visibility.  I gave my helmet a little more visibitlity using the @springer  method.  I bought 1" rolls of white and hi-viz yellow engineer grade reflective tape.  This is what I ended up with:

With Flash:

I've added auxiliary lights to help with daytime visibility but I need to come up with a way to "tastefully" add some of the reflective tape to my rolling asphalt of a bike:

Looking good!

Just use your imagination on the motorcycle.  ;) You will come up with something cool, of that I am sure @BamaPhill !