News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Tire defects

Started by IceCold4x4, February 08, 2018, 09:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammerdown77

Only if they could show that you damaged the tire on install.
'Course, I'm not a lawyer so that could be completely wrong.

2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

klaviator

Quote from: Hammerdown77 on February 12, 2018, 05:15:13 AM
Only if they could show that you damaged the tire on install.
'Course, I'm not a lawyer so that could be completely wrong.

I could see damaging the bead during installation but I don't see how you would cause the type of failure that happened here. 

Since I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night I could be wrong :D

Hammerdown77

Since he wasn't hurt and isn't threatening legal action, I don't see why they wouldn't just send him a new tire pronto. Analysis after.
Seems like a pretty inexpensive claim resolution on their part.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

SpeedyR

lots of different issues and questions here...

the main thing that Michelin is trying to determine is if there was an issue with the tire that was a manufacturing defect. Just because the tire is blown up has no bearing on if it's a manufacturing defect.

Typically when a tire is run at low pressure, it will overheat and then chunk sections of tread off and can come off the bead. So running a tire at low pressure could be on problem that would cause this.

knowing that the pressure was correct in the morning is a big step in the right direction, but a simple nail in the tire would lead to loss of pressure and then possible delimitation of the tire tread. So when he was feeling the "wiggle" that would probably be the loss of pressure, and then it gets bad when it chunks, but that would have been towards the end of what happened to the tire, as you would feel that big of a chunk missing if you were going freeway speeds with that much missing. Low pressure will very quickly lead to overheating and delamination (remember the Ford Explorer SUV's?). If you don't think this is the case, drop your pressure to 5psi and take a short ride on your bike and see how much heat you generate at low speeds. Ok, really don't do this, just trust me.

So now they need to have a dealer remove the tire and check it for any holes. The issue here is that it could be in the area of the blowout/delamination. That makes it hard to figure out the cause. Maybe it's easier and in another section of tread.

As for the "dealer" the only "authorized" dealers would be someone like Sportbike Track Time that actually buys tires from Michelin vs. any moto dealer that is a Parts Unlimited/Tucker/WPS dealer that might have the option to purchase the tires. That's where having a local shop that you can work with and trust comes in handy. If you buy all of your product online, what's in it for the local dealer to do the work for michelin? IF they remove the tire, find a hole in the tire that is what caused the delamination, and it's not a manufacturing defect, now the dealer spent a bunch of time doing work for the customer that they may or may not be reimbursed for.

It's a tough situation. If Michelin knows there's an issues with a specific tire or setup, they may be more likely to just replace the tire without too much effort on your part. But if it's a common tire, with a common size that's been sold for years without any issues, they are assuming that the issue is not a manufacturing defect and merely a flat tire that didn't get caught in time.

just some things to think about. I worked for a tire company for a few years and dealt with a lot of tire issues, but 98% of the time there was nothing wrong with the tires, it was the person sitting on the seat. BUT there were times that there were issues with tires. Even in those situations, as an employee, it was easier to just have the customer contact CS and let them do their thing. If there was something that didn't happen correctly, I could see if I could step in to rectify the situation, but in the one situation where there was a failure that I personally know of, they replaced the tire and paid to repair the damage to the bike.

Typically with mounting tire, the only issue normally could be bead breakage, but that's pretty quick to notice, as the tire won't seat and hold air in many cases. In this case, the issue was the delamination and what caused it.

IceCold4x4

Heard back from Michelin today. They are going to cover half the price of the tire. Meh I'm OK with that. Picked up the tire and wheel from cycle gear and I'll wait on on the new tire to have Rodney mount it. I'll even let him use the proper tools this time... Lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kylepeterson

I'm really surprised they manufacturer didn't offer to replace the tire.

Over the last decade I've had two sets of tires (car) recalled. Over the last decade I've had one tire failure (motorcycle)  that was replaced by the manufacturer. All of the above were separation/delamination issues.

I can't believe the manufacturer doesn't want to get the tire back and actually look at it. Yes, I know it's been changed by heat/low pressure, but there are experienced eyes at the factory/lab  that can spot other issues.

Bewildered.
just give 'er the berries !

Nice Goat

Quote from: kylepeterson on February 15, 2018, 08:28:10 AM
I'm really surprised they manufacturer didn't offer to replace the tire.
Over the last decade I've had two sets of tires (car) recalled. Over the last decade I've had one tire failure (motorcycle)  that was replaced by the manufacturer. All of the above were separation/delamination issues.
I can't believe the manufacturer doesn't want to get the tire back and actually look at it. Yes, I know it's been changed by heat/low pressure, but there are experienced eyes at the factory/lab  that can spot other issues.
Bewildered.

Some VP Operations decided to include "Reduce Warranty Claims" in the performance bonus this year.  One way to reduce warranty claims is to simply deny them.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

LawnmowerRG

I know this is an old thread.

But as an FYI we now have Michelin, Shinko, Maxxis, Sedona, and Pirelli. 
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

David DoubleEX

I had a good run in with Michelin. I got new tires mounted to my V Strom and right around that time also dropped my bike in the parking lot at work. I believe it tweaked the forks just enough to get make the wheel bounce at high speed (70+.) But I thought it was due to a bad tire. Had the shop check banance a few times and then called Michelin and told them the tire wasnt round.

Michelin talked to the shop owner and then sent me a replacement tire. threw on the new tire and same result. We then loosened the forks and smacked them around and the bouncing went away.

I didnt offer to send the tire back, I have it waiting in storage for when I need it!

Long story short, Michelin was quick to send me a me a new tire based off mine and the shop owners word. It was a good experience.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk