News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Nostalgia and Racing Ride 3/3

Started by jrobinson, February 26, 2018, 11:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

jrobinson

This ride will be a little different than most. There's 2 parts to this ride. My main focus is to take a pic in Athens with as many of my riding friends as possible. After the photo, I plan to ride to Shelbyville to watch flat track racing at the Calsonic Arena.

Part 1 - Photo Re-creation

History - In the late 50's some friends that rode with my Dad was at Magnusson Harley Davidson in Athens. They took pics lined up near the building. See pic below. (Let me know if you can't see pic)

Mission - The building is still there as of today, but is scheduled to be demolished. (It may happen before Saturday the 3rd).  I want to recreate the pic of the building with riders lined up.   

I'll leave Paint Rock Valley at 2pm en route to Athens (Hwy 72 Gurley - Athens). If anyone would like to meet along the way, let me know. I should arrive in Athens around 3pm and will meet with any interested in taking the photo at Jacks Hamburgers on Hwy31, just north of Pryor St. We will ride to the old Harley shop on Pryor St., line up and take some photos. I'm watching Facebook to see that the building will still be there. If the building is demoed  before Saturday, this part of the ride will be cancelled.

Part 2

Ride to Shelbyville and watch the flat track racing in the Calsonic Arena. This will be mostly back roads with a 36 miles of interstate.

This will be for all levels of riders and bikes. You can participate in as much or little of the ride as you would like. I only ask to let me know when you plan to join and when you leave the group.

Check here before the ride for changes and any updates. I should know Saturday morning if I'll make the trip to Athens. I'm 99% on the ride to Shelbyville.

Any questions, let me know.

klaviator

I might be up for this.  I'll let you know for sure when later in the week.

jrobinson

I've been watching the weather for a decent day to ride. I've also ad the flat track races on my radar for about a month. The stars aligned and I was able to do both on the same day.

As I mentioned in the description of the ride, I planned to ride to Athens for a chance to take a few pics. I left the house around 2 and made the boring trek to Athens on I-565 and I-65.

Here's the results of the stop in Athens.

The side view of Magnusson Harley-Davidson in the 1950's fading into my visit.

I moved to line up for the second shot.

After about an hour it was time to head toward Shelbyville and watch a little flat track racing.

From Athens I traveled north on I-65 to Hwy 64, right and 64 and stopped to check my GPS on the phone. A couple miles up the road the GPS routed me left on Hwy 244. Hwy 244 is a nice windy road. I had a pucker moment as I was leaning into a left hand sweeper when a squirrel decides to cross the road. As I adjusted my line to avoid the squirrel, a bug hit my lips and stuck. After avoiding the squirrel, I spit the bug out and finished the curve.

I rolled into Shelbyville around 5 and found a place to park at the Calsonic Arena. During the event I filled the SD card in the camera and realized I didn't bring a spare. Here are a few of the pics I took.

David Aldana in his trademark skeleton leathers. (Google his name if you haven't heard of him)

Links to a couple short videos. First is the Hooligan race. Mostly Harleys in almost street trim.

http://photos.app.goo.gl/DG70OaqUrvUGbvzx2

http://photos.app.goo.gl/CEIncMDSBBwtCWzU2

The ride home was a little cool, but not the worst I've ridden.

Great day and a much needed adventure.

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."